Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 07:30 PM

15 posts, read 36,386 times

Advertisements

Hey there so I have been researching so many cities in north Carolina to move. Me and my fiancé and our son visited the outer banks recently and loved it but realize its smaller and more tourist. We want to move out of seattle wa and it seems like north Carolina is were we want to end up, im having a really hard time figuring out what are is going to be best for my family. We don't like huge cities but close to one to be able to go and visit when need be, we love the southern hospitality feel we got from outer banks, schooling is a must !! We are not rich by any means but maintain a average income of a little over 100,000 a year and hope to maintain that. Im a bartender and my fiancé is in construction. Any help will be appreciated. Just trying to get some suggestions on good towns or cities outside of raliegh . Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 08:15 PM

13,340 posts, read 26,819,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatumford12 View Post
Im a bartender and my fiancé is in construction. Any help will be appreciated.
Let me suggest Wilmington as a base of operations for you. There is a lot of construction going on in the coastal area between Myrtle Beach and Jacksonville. Many retirement homes are being built in Brunswick County between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach. Then, housing for military families drives the market between Wilmington and Jacksonville.

You could certainly find bartending jobs in Wilmington, Carolina Beach, Wrightsville Beach or other beach towns.

The schools are all decent, ranging from average to excellent.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:27 AM

13,340 posts, read 26,819,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatumford12 View Post
We are not rich by any means but maintain a average income of a little over 100,000 a year and hope to maintain that. Im a bartender and my fiancé is in construction.
One factor to note is that the cost of living is so much lower in Wilmington that you could also expect lower salaries. My favorite COL calculator give Seattle an index of 142.7 and Wilmington an index of 101.8 . I don't know if 40% lower salaries is realistic, but I think you should be conservative for budgeting purposes.

Other factors to note include that North Carolina is a "right to work" state and very few jobs have unions. There is a lot of competition from locals who want to stay around Wilmington after graduation because life near the beach is so nice. The unemployment rate is around 9% in New Hanover County. The construction industry employs many Hispanics. So unless the fiance has special skills or is a supervisor, there is low-wage competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina