U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 12:04 AM

814 posts, read 966,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflyernc View Post
I'm not sure there's a useful distinction in all cases, but as of 2003, the General Accounting Office listed 1138 statutory provisions in which marital status is a factor in determining benefits, rights, and privileges. Here's a short list:
Everything you have listed can be granted via other means for people who aren't married by way of wills, states, trusts, power of attorney, living will, etc. I thought people got married for love, not benefits. At least that is what the gay marriage proponents tell me. So which is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 12:11 AM

10,953 posts, read 8,659,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Such as? As far as I know, the Constitution applies to homosexuals just like everyone else.

Marriage is a privilege granted by the state, not a right. The state has an interest in promoting marriages that produce children. Marriage has been defined since the dawn of human civilization as between man and woman. Once you change the definition of marriage you destroy a societal foundation.

Call it a civil union and be done with it.
No.

A civil union is separate from marriage and separate is not equal.

I am so proud of my state (Washington) and I hope I live long enough to see marriage equality in every state in the union.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:11 AM

34,516 posts, read 28,801,967 times
Quote:
Not at all, just don't call it marriage.
Other states allow gay marriage. Borders in the US are open between states.

Ergo, we all live in a place where gay marriage is legal.

Holding out over some bickering over the "suitability" for homosexuals to have marriages and families is rather silly.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
No.

A civil union is separate from marriage and separate is not equal.

I am so proud of my state (Washington) and I hope I live long enough to see marriage equality in every state in the union.
Agreed. If we must have civil unions? They need to apply to all couples, regardless of sexual orientation.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Everything you have listed can be granted via other means for people who aren't married by way of wills, states, trusts, power of attorney, living will, etc. I thought people got married for love, not benefits. At least that is what the gay marriage proponents tell me. So which is it?
So, I assume you plan to call for all marriages to be nullified, since all the benefits (aside from love) can be bought with expensive (and time consuming) private legal documents?

Old 09-18-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Here's the thing... I didn't ask you to read anything and I don't intend to read anything else about it because I don't care whether people are all wounded over the idea of two women or two men becoming legally wed because I care more about those people's rights. (on edit: I just read it and I find it ridiculous)

We may be redefining "marriage" as it currently exists WHEN we begin allowing homosexuals to marry in NC, but we will not be redefining anyone's relationships. People who are heterosexual and married will not have their relationships minimized by extending that same right to others.

I am a heterosexual woman. I am married. I know that my own marriage will not be affected in the least by allowing homosexuals to get married. People who are so freaked out over this are extremely narrow minded.

My husband and I (I did mention that we are heterosexuals, right?) have no children between us. I have 3 children from a previous marriage. My husband is a wonderful stepfather, but I feel confident that if I were a lesbian and married a woman instead, she would have had to be a good stepmother to my kids, because I wouldn't have married someone who was not good with kids.

I don't get it. Homosexual couples cannot produce without assistance. But... they can produce. And adopt. As can infertile heterosexual couples and they still get to marry if they choose. Why hold homosexual couples to an antiquated standard of marriage when the rest of us are not held to the same?
Very well said.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
Does marriage equality mean I can marry my son?
No.

But you knew that.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:09 AM

2,640 posts, read 6,062,893 times
Quote:
No Brad, you are incorrect as usual. Examples of benefits that can't be granted via other means include surviving spouse SSI benefits, tax-free transfer of assets to spouse upon death, joint tax filing, right to continue easements, custodial and asset claim rights upon divorce, spousal privilege in court cases, etc., etc.

Your obsession with the word "marriage" is a weak argument for denying rights to those who happen to be different from you. You contend that the very foundation of our society is at risk. What exactly do you think will happen when gay marriage is legalized? How will that affect heterosexual marriages at all?

Old 09-18-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
No Brad, you are incorrect as usual. Examples of benefits that can't be granted via other means include surviving spouse SSI benefits, tax-free transfer of assets to spouse upon death, joint tax filing, right to continue easements, custodial and asset claim rights upon divorce, spousal privilege in court cases, etc., etc.

Your obsession with the word "marriage" is a weak argument for denying rights to those who happen to be different from you. You contend that the very foundation of our society is at risk. What exactly do you think will happen when gay marriage is legalized? How will that affect heterosexual marriages at all?
It won't. It's also the same argument that was used to deny blacks and whites the right to marry.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:28 AM

814 posts, read 966,214 times
Quote:
Actually I'm not wrong. You can designate beneficiaries for SSI, wills and trusts handle transfer of assets (which are taxed for everyone up to a certain limit), divorce issues are handled by the divorce decree/settlement, 5th amendment protects in court, etc.

Quote:
The article I linked to explains it. Once gay marriage is legalized polygamy is next, then other non-standard partnerships between adults. Also consider the stated goal is to destroy marriage according to a leading gay activist.

Last edited by netbrad; 09-18-2013 at 07:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina