Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 03:53 PM

875 posts, read 1,161,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Being concerned doesn't make a person narrow-minded. Refusing to see that denying a civil right to consenting adults solely based on their sexual orientation IS narrow-minded.

We aren't opening some scary Pandora's box here. Nobody's talking about marrying your dog (cannot consent to a contract) or being allowed to marry children (again, cannot consent to contract and it's illegal to have sex with them anyway).

No. This is about consenting ADULTS.

And we should not tell consenting ADULTS who happen to be homosexual that they do not have the right to be recognized as lifelong partners BY LAW and given all the rights and privileges associated with that status.
I understand this is about consenting adults, but what about polygamy? The polygamists are starting their campaign using the same playbook as the gay rights activists. Would you support polygamy in NC with the same fervor? What special rights are granted with marriage anyway? (Tax benefits are not rights).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Agreed. I do not know of any places of business in NC that are being forced to do any of the things that netbrad is talking about.
Yet. The fact that activists are shopping around for controversy in NC means it will happen soon.

Quote:
And it is OT, but I don't really know of any places elsewhere that are being required to do such things. I think that any requirements are merely to uphold EXISTING laws and have zero to do with sexual orientation or any other variety of ills that are ascribed to the court rulings on such matters.
Read what happened in Oregon and Arizona, and the legal issues with the ACA.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:58 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
Does marriage equality mean I can marry my son? If not why not?
Incest is illegal.

Just saying.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
I understand this is about consenting adults, but what about polygamy? The polygamists are starting their campaign using the same playbook as the gay rights activists. Would you support polygamy in NC with the same fervor? What special rights are granted with marriage anyway? (Tax benefits are not rights).
Well, tax benefits are something we offer to married couples of the same sex and we refuse to offer to couples who are of the same sex because here in NC, we don't allow gay marriage. Is that fair to gay people?

If we are being unfair to gay people by denying them certain financial breaks and/or ease of transfer of property (with wills and so forth), survivor benefits, rights in the event that a partner becomes critically ill to make life decisions, etc... is that not treating them unequally and therefore violating their civil right to be treated as an equal citizen?

And, yes. I don't care if people get married to more than one person, as long as all the persons in that particular marriage are informed and give their consent.

It's none of my business. I suppose it works for some. And it has the special benefit of having been a longstanding HISTORICAL tradition for MANY years.

(I know you are into the "it's how they've always done it" sort of thing, so that's worth mentioning)

Old 09-17-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Yet. The fact that activists are shopping around for controversy in NC means it will happen soon.

Read what happened in Oregon and Arizona, and the legal issues with the ACA.
Do you really think that people "look" for controversy? I'd say there's enough of it just waiting around without anyone having to look to find it.

Re: OT commentary, all I'm saying is that I know full well that people who discriminate may wind up in a bind and out of business. But, hey... freedom of choice.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Well, tax benefits are something we offer to married couples of the same sex and we refuse to offer to couples who are of the same sex because here in NC, we don't allow gay marriage. Is that fair to gay people?
A benefit is not a right. Not all married heterosexuals can receive such benefits either.

Quote:
If we are being unfair to gay people by denying them certain financial breaks and/or ease of transfer of property (with wills and so forth), survivor benefits, rights in the event that a partner becomes critically ill to make life decisions, etc... is that not treating them unequally and therefore violating their civil right to be treated as an equal citizen?
All of which can be handled with wills, trusts and powers of attorney just like with straight couples so no, it is not treating them unequally.

Quote:
And, yes. I don't care if people get married to more than one person, as long as all the persons in that particular marriage are informed and give their consent.

It's none of my business. I suppose it works for some. And it has the special benefit of having been a longstanding HISTORICAL tradition for MANY years.

(I know you are into the "it's how they've always done it" sort of thing, so that's worth mentioning)
Polygamist relationships were still between a man and woman/women (historically speaking).

Old 09-17-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Re: OT commentary, all I'm saying is that I know full well that people who discriminate may wind up in a bind and out of business. But, hey... freedom of choice.
And that is how it should be, market-based not government-based.

(In before thread lock).

Old 09-17-2013, 06:03 PM

54 posts, read 168,802 times
Quote:
What special rights are granted with marriage anyway? (Tax benefits are not rights).
I'm not sure there's a useful distinction in all cases, but as of 2003, the General Accounting Office listed 1138 statutory provisions in which marital status is a factor in determining benefits, rights, and privileges. Here's a short list:
  • Right to benefits while married:
    • Employment assistance and transitional services for spouses of members being separated from military service; continued commissary privileges
    • Per diem payment to spouse for federal civil service employees when relocating
    • Indian Health Service care for spouses of Native Americans (in some circumstances)
    • Sponsor husband/wife for immigration benefits
  • Larger benefits under some programs if married, including:
    • Veteran's disability
    • Supplemental Security Income
    • Disability payments for federal employees
    • Medicaid
    • Property tax exemption for homes of totally disabled veterans
    • Income tax deductions, credits, rates exemption, and estimates
    • Wages of an employee working for one's spouse are exempt from federal unemployment tax[3]
  • Joint and family-related rights:
    • Joint filing of bankruptcy permitted
    • Joint parenting rights, such as access to children's school records
    • Family visitation rights for the spouse and non-biological children, such as to visit a spouse in a hospital or prison
    • Next-of-kin status for emergency medical decisions or filing wrongful death claims
    • Custodial rights to children, shared property, child support, and alimony after divorce
    • Domestic violence intervention
    • Access to "family only" services, such as reduced rate memberships to clubs & organizations or residency in certain neighborhoods
  • Preferential hiring for spouses of veterans in government jobs
  • Tax-free transfer of property between spouses (including on death) and exemption from "due-on-sale" clauses.
  • Special consideration to spouses of citizens and resident aliens
  • Threats against spouses of various federal employees is a federal crime
  • Right to continue living on land purchased from spouse by National Park Service when easement granted to spouse
  • Court notice of probate proceedings
  • Domestic violence protection orders
  • Existing homestead lease continuation of rights
  • Regulation of condominium sales to owner-occupants exemption
  • Funeral and bereavement leave
  • Joint adoption and foster care
  • Joint tax filing
  • Insurance licenses, coverage, eligibility, and benefits organization of mutual benefits society
  • Legal status with stepchildren
  • Making spousal medical decisions
  • Spousal non-resident tuition deferential waiver
  • Permission to make funeral arrangements for a deceased spouse, including burial or cremation
  • Right of survivorship of custodial trust
  • Right to change surname upon marriage
  • Right to enter into prenuptial agreement
  • Right to inheritance of property
  • Spousal privilege in court cases (the marital confidences privilege and the spousal testimonial privilege)
  • For those divorced or widowed, the right to many of ex- or late spouse's benefits, including:
    • Social Security pension
    • Veteran's pensions, indemnity compensation for service-connected deaths, medical care, and nursing home care, right to burial in veterans' cemeteries, educational assistance, and housing survivor benefits for federal employees
    • Survivor benefits for spouses of longshoremen, harbor workers, railroad workers
    • Additional benefits to spouses of coal miners who die of black lung disease
    • $100,000 to spouse of any public safety officer killed in the line of duty
    • Continuation of employer-sponsored health benefits
    • Renewal and termination rights to spouse's copyrights on death of spouse
    • Continued water rights of spouse in some circumstances
    • Payment of wages and workers compensation benefits after worker death
    • Making, revoking, and objecting to post-mortem anatomical gifts
Source: http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d04353r.pdf

Old 09-17-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflyernc View Post
I'm not sure there's a useful distinction in all cases, but as of 2003, the General Accounting Office listed 1138 statutory provisions in which marital status is a factor in determining benefits, rights, and privileges. Here's a short list:
  • Right to benefits while married:
    • Employment assistance and transitional services for spouses of members being separated from military service; continued commissary privileges
    • Per diem payment to spouse for federal civil service employees when relocating
    • Indian Health Service care for spouses of Native Americans (in some circumstances)
    • Sponsor husband/wife for immigration benefits
  • Larger benefits under some programs if married, including:
    • Veteran's disability
    • Supplemental Security Income
    • Disability payments for federal employees
    • Medicaid
    • Property tax exemption for homes of totally disabled veterans
    • Income tax deductions, credits, rates exemption, and estimates
    • Wages of an employee working for one's spouse are exempt from federal unemployment tax[3]
  • Joint and family-related rights:
    • Joint filing of bankruptcy permitted
    • Joint parenting rights, such as access to children's school records
    • Family visitation rights for the spouse and non-biological children, such as to visit a spouse in a hospital or prison
    • Next-of-kin status for emergency medical decisions or filing wrongful death claims
    • Custodial rights to children, shared property, child support, and alimony after divorce
    • Domestic violence intervention
    • Access to "family only" services, such as reduced rate memberships to clubs & organizations or residency in certain neighborhoods
  • Preferential hiring for spouses of veterans in government jobs
  • Tax-free transfer of property between spouses (including on death) and exemption from "due-on-sale" clauses.
  • Special consideration to spouses of citizens and resident aliens
  • Threats against spouses of various federal employees is a federal crime
  • Right to continue living on land purchased from spouse by National Park Service when easement granted to spouse
  • Court notice of probate proceedings
  • Domestic violence protection orders
  • Existing homestead lease continuation of rights
  • Regulation of condominium sales to owner-occupants exemption
  • Funeral and bereavement leave
  • Joint adoption and foster care
  • Joint tax filing
  • Insurance licenses, coverage, eligibility, and benefits organization of mutual benefits society
  • Legal status with stepchildren
  • Making spousal medical decisions
  • Spousal non-resident tuition deferential waiver
  • Permission to make funeral arrangements for a deceased spouse, including burial or cremation
  • Right of survivorship of custodial trust
  • Right to change surname upon marriage
  • Right to enter into prenuptial agreement
  • Right to inheritance of property
  • Spousal privilege in court cases (the marital confidences privilege and the spousal testimonial privilege)
  • For those divorced or widowed, the right to many of ex- or late spouse's benefits, including:
    • Social Security pension
    • Veteran's pensions, indemnity compensation for service-connected deaths, medical care, and nursing home care, right to burial in veterans' cemeteries, educational assistance, and housing survivor benefits for federal employees
    • Survivor benefits for spouses of longshoremen, harbor workers, railroad workers
    • Additional benefits to spouses of coal miners who die of black lung disease
    • $100,000 to spouse of any public safety officer killed in the line of duty
    • Continuation of employer-sponsored health benefits
    • Renewal and termination rights to spouse's copyrights on death of spouse
    • Continued water rights of spouse in some circumstances
    • Payment of wages and workers compensation benefits after worker death
    • Making, revoking, and objecting to post-mortem anatomical gifts
Source: http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d04353r.pdf
That was so pretty, I had to quote it.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
You want to deny people the ability to have a state-recognized union.

I am reminded of Sarah Palin.

Lipstick on pig. Still a pig.
Not at all, just don't call it marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina