U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 11:57 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,655,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I didn't realize that Coventry was only offering plans in certain counties (BCBS will in all) - it's really unfortunate that we don't have the same level of competition here because that will only hurt the consumer:

Little Competiton, High Premiums In NC Health Insurance Marketplace | WFAE
Apparently not. Yes, that's the way it is suppose to work and yes that is something to be worried about. But when the Justice Institute (I think that's what they are called I don't have time to look it up right now) says they are surprised at how low the rates are, then the rates are low. They are an advocacy group for the poor.

And look at the article you linked:

Quote:
Statewide, the cheapest average premiums range from about $280 to $370 dollars, depending on what kind of plan you choose. And those price tags don't include tax credits, which will make coverage cheaper for people whose incomes fall below 400 percent of the federal poverty level. (That's about $92,000 for a family of four.)
In the Charlotte area, for example, the federal government estimates a 27-year-old who makes $25,000 dollars per year would pay $77 a month for one of the lowest cost plans. A family of four making $50,000 dollars a year could pay as little as $36 per month.
The first number is very reasonable but that's before tax credits. And credits up to $90K per year? And $77 per month and $36 per month for a family making $50K are not rates I've seen even in dreams.

Maybe I missed something or WFAE thinks insurance should be less than a cup of coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 01:00 PM

5,875 posts, read 8,838,193 times
GCharlotte, not everyone is getting the tax credit. There are a lot of people in the middle class who won't. Additionally, NC isn't participating in the Medicaid expansion (even AZ is!) - so people will fall through the cracks there as well. And with only two insurers, and one in some counties, the rates won't be as competitive as they could be.

A lot of sources are saying rates are lower than expected - but I have only heard that said in an overall sense. In NC, they will be higher. I don't blame Obamacare. I blame our state legislators...but am trying not to be overly political.

I am 100% ok with my taxes going toward this and those who couldn't otherwise pay - after all, we already pay for that given that the uninsured go to the ER. I take major issue with how this was sold to us, and i did before it was even passed. Everyone on the left (and I AM on the left) can talk all they want about how low premiums are...but they are not going to be universally low...and that is just the premium. Deductibles and coinsurance need equal billing in the news and they are not getting it out there. And it's a VERY big deal, even with the company insurance I have now.

I think there was probably a better way for all of this to be handled, but I also want the uninsured to be insured, so I'm not how it could have played out any differently given the opposition to ANY government healthcare.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:15 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,349,398 times
Yikes, this was posted in Forbes magazine and says that NC will have the highest rates and be the worst off--tripling rates for women. That's me, I have BCBS private insurance. Article is hard to understand, but hope someone here says it is not true.
Why would NC be so much worse than rest of country?
Double Down: Obamacare Will Increase Avg. Individual-Market Insurance Premiums By 99% For Men, 62% For Women - Forbes

Old 09-26-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
GCharlotte, not everyone is getting the tax credit. There are a lot of people in the middle class who won't. Additionally, NC isn't participating in the Medicaid expansion (even AZ is!) - so people will fall through the cracks there as well. And with only two insurers, and one in some counties, the rates won't be as competitive as they could be.

A lot of sources are saying rates are lower than expected - but I have only heard that said in an overall sense. In NC, they will be higher. I don't blame Obamacare. I blame our state legislators...but am trying not to be overly political.

I am 100% ok with my taxes going toward this and those who couldn't otherwise pay - after all, we already pay for that given that the uninsured go to the ER. I take major issue with how this was sold to us, and i did before it was even passed. Everyone on the left (and I AM on the left) can talk all they want about how low premiums are...but they are not going to be universally low...and that is just the premium. Deductibles and coinsurance need equal billing in the news and they are not getting it out there. And it's a VERY big deal, even with the company insurance I have now.

I think there was probably a better way for all of this to be handled, but I also want the uninsured to be insured, so I'm not how it could have played out any differently given the opposition to ANY government healthcare.
Usually I would agree with that assumption but we'll have to see. If it can be as low as what WFAE is saying I sure don't see how that's the highest. But we'll know soon.

I think everyone should be insured. But why don't we have a national driver's license, plates, and a branch of the FBI as highway patrol? I'm not going to argue how we got here and I agree it would have been better that if we're going to have it that it would have been done differently including help from the Right, but it isn't just poking Obama in the eye it is a fundamental belief that the Constitution doesn't allow this. It's very hard to say "that's OK" if you really believe that.

The Right is right that once it gets rolling it will be hard to do anything about it. If it's a train wreck then It's Hilary's problem. If it's not then the Right will sink further unless their base buys in to it regardless.

Let's check the forecast in 4 days to see what the chance of a falling sky is.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Yikes, this was posted in Forbes magazine and says that NC will have the highest rates and be the worst off--tripling rates for women. That's me, I have BCBS private insurance. Article is hard to understand, but hope someone here says it is not true.
Why would NC be so much worse than rest of country?
Double Down: Obamacare Will Increase Avg. Individual-Market Insurance Premiums By 99% For Men, 62% For Women - Forbes
BCBS has not released full rates yet but their chart at BCBSNC Announces Rate Information for Individual ACA Health Plans | Blue Cross Blue Shield North Carolina agrees pretty well with Kaiser's calculators.

I don't know your bio but smoke free 40 year old making $60K would pay about $290 per month according to Kaiser. Subsidy Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation[0][age]=40&adults[0][tobacco]=0&child-count=0&child-tobacco=0

The standard Blue Advantage is $20 less (and doesn't care about your income). There are cheaper plans but there are also cheaper ACA plans.

About $240 for a 25 year old making 40K versus $200 for Blue Advantage.

That's male. For female Blue Advantage is $300 so the rate goes down if I'm looking at it right.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:15 PM

So according to the BCBSNC link, that $290/month would represent a silver plan. The silver plan will pay 70%. So here's where I'm really confused - I took that remaining 30% to be coinsurance and the insured's responsibility - but healthcare.gov says no

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/...an-categories/

Plans in the Marketplace are primarily separated into 4 health plan categories — Bronze, Silver, Gold, or Platinum — based on the percentage the plan pays of the average overall cost of providing essential health benefits to members. The plan category you choose affects the total amount you'll likely spend for essential health benefits during the year. The percentages the plans will spend, on average, are 60% (Bronze), 70% (Silver), 80% (Gold), and 90% (Platinum). This isn't the same as coinsurance, in which you pay a specific percentage of the cost of a specific service.

But then - on another page, healthcare.gov says this:

https://www.healthcare.gov/how-do-i-...ace-insurance/

The category you choose affects how much your premium costs each month and what portion of the bill you pay for things like hospital visits or prescription medications. It also affects your total out-of-pocket costs —the total amount you’ll spend for the year if you need lots of care.

So....it's not coinsurance...but we pay for it anyway? Either way that 30% for silver is not insignificant.

That's why I say (and was ALL OVER twitter about this before ACA was passed) - it's not just about the premium. Howard Dean was totally on the same page. Nobody would really pay attention to me, lol, but they should have listened to Dean!

i think the opponents of ACA do have a strong anti-Obama everything, anti federal anything bent but there are also some legitimate concerns...that maybe could have been remedied had the anti argument just stuck to the legit concerns! Ah, politics, pandering - not sure how anything ever gets done.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:21 PM

To make it even more confusing - Kaiser seems to call it coinsurance:

A Silver plan has an actuarial value of 70%. This means that for all enrollees in a typical population, the plan will pay for 70% of expenses in total for covered benefits, with enrollees responsible for the rest. If you choose to enroll in a Bronze plan, the actuarial value will be 60%, meaning your out-of-pocket costs when you use services will likely be higher. Regardless of which level of coverage you choose, deductibles and copayments will vary from plan to plan, and out-of-pocket costs will depend on your health care expenses. Preventive services will be covered with no cost sharing required.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
To make it even more confusing - Kaiser seems to call it coinsurance:

A Silver plan has an actuarial value of 70%. This means that for all enrollees in a typical population, the plan will pay for 70% of expenses in total for covered benefits, with enrollees responsible for the rest. If you choose to enroll in a Bronze plan, the actuarial value will be 60%, meaning your out-of-pocket costs when you use services will likely be higher. Regardless of which level of coverage you choose, deductibles and copayments will vary from plan to plan, and out-of-pocket costs will depend on your health care expenses. Preventive services will be covered with no cost sharing required.
Meanwhile there are 11 Silver plans from BCBS. I assume part of that will be due to co-insurance.

Sunny, just in case, can you adjust the inertial dampeners to maximum? Might be a bumpy ride next week.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:54 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,581,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Meanwhile there are 11 Silver plans from BCBS. I assume part of that will be due to co-insurance.

Sunny, just in case, can you adjust the inertial dampeners to maximum? Might be a bumpy ride next week.
Use dryer balls, it also helps knock out wrinkles , no really you lost me

This cool <<chatting to myself>> how long has feature been here, I highlighted the text and there is option to search google.>> Now I am more lost.

I really appreciate this thread staying civil and everyone doing their best discussing how the ACA will effect us North Carolinians as these new changes effect all of us and face it we can benefit helping each other out.

Capital Tonight had the secretary of treasurer on last night and I should DVR that program as lot of wealth of information was provided, its to bad they went to a members only view for their videos.

I did see this link posted some where and I guess it will be helpful after December 31st for those who file and want tax credits. Questions and Answers on the Premium Tax Credit

Old 09-26-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Use dryer balls, it also helps knock out wrinkles , no really you lost me
I can't seem to answer this without going full geek. Basically they are used to keep things in motion (or not) in relative calm regardless of what is going on around the objects.

Think of a car crash. The inertia is you wanting to keep going even though car has slammed in to something. The seatbelt is the dampener. See, I didn't mention Star Trek at all.

Just saying we need a steady force come Oct. 1 because no matter what side is right it's gonna blow up but probably not here. And yeah, it's great how well behaved we've been on a subject that can get pretty partisan in a forum that can also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or