U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 05:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,622,254 times

Advertisements

Ok, I understand now. Im hoping Capital Tonight has good explanation on what is expected here in NC next week. Ill program my DVR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 10:52 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,153,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
BCBS has not released full rates yet but their chart at BCBSNC Announces Rate Information for Individual ACA Health Plans | Blue Cross Blue Shield North Carolina agrees pretty well with Kaiser's calculators.

I don't know your bio but smoke free 40 year old making $60K would pay about $290 per month according to Kaiser. Subsidy Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation[0][age]=40&adults[0][tobacco]=0&child-count=0&child-tobacco=0

The standard Blue Advantage is $20 less (and doesn't care about your income). There are cheaper plans but there are also cheaper ACA plans.

About $240 for a 25 year old making 40K versus $200 for Blue Advantage.

That's male. For female Blue Advantage is $300 so the rate goes down if I'm looking at it right.
I'm pretty sure, that they are no longer allowed to charge a female more than a male. Matter of fact I've read that several times. Women are no longer taking a hit. The rates are the same for the same age, same policy, either sex, the only thing that should change for the same two people (age and wage) is if they smoke.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:26 PM

BCBSNC plans to offer 26 plans on the Exchange, including plans at every metal level and catastrophic option(s) for those who qualify.

Catastrophic plans have higher deductibles and will be available for consumers under age 30 and those who receive “hardship exemptions1”. Bronze plans cover 60 percent of health care expenses, silver plans 70 percent, gold 80 percent and platinum 90 percent.

Statewide average rates for those plans are listed in the link below:
BCBSNC Announces Rate Information for Individual ACA Health Plans | Blue Cross Blue Shield North Carolina

Old 09-29-2013, 11:17 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,662,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
I'm pretty sure, that they are no longer allowed to charge a female more than a male. Matter of fact I've read that several times. Women are no longer taking a hit. The rates are the same for the same age, same policy, either sex, the only thing that should change for the same two people (age and wage) is if they smoke.
If I quoted female versus male rates then that is what it is. I don't make that up. However, it appears that isn't allowed under the ACA. If BCBS is making it up then there may be an issue there.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:54 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,753,876 times
I have three friends, self employed, who have received their rates or whatever...I am covered by state so I have not been following it all that close. All three are looking at HUGE rate increases...about 150% more than current premium. THese are the guys that are going public. Certainly not a scientific sample, but.....

Old 09-30-2013, 02:02 PM

There is an app for ACA, actually several, to help ease confusion.
Several apps are available for cell phones and tablets that provide information about the healthcare law. Here is a look at a few of them.

App Name: Affordable Heath
Availability: iOS and Android
What it does: Provides access to a health insurance exchange calculator, calculates if individuals qualify for tax credits, allows insurance agents to send quotes, projects monthly insurance costs and benefits and has an interactive interface that allows users to compare changes in coverage.

App Name: ObamaCare: Do The Math
What it does: Calculates if you will need to pay an investment tax when you sell your home. By entering your information into the app, it uses the formula specified in the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act to determine your tax, if you need to pay one.

App Name: Obamacare101
Cost: Free on Android, $0.99 on Apple
What it does: Provides up-to-date information and answers to FAQs about the Affordable Care Act and provides access to healthcare application forms, healthcare exchanges and cost calculators.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:21 AM

5,877 posts, read 8,854,030 times
So, the Coventry rate quote page is down - BCBS is up. If Coventry is smart, they'll offer MUCH lower rates than BCBS, targeting those who won't get subsidies (which would be a very smart business plan as I believe the cutoff for a subsidy is less than $46K annual income for an individual).

BCBS rates are insane when you look at the deductibles and coinsurance.

The lowest premium - $262.56/month for Bronze Value - carries with it a $5,500 deductible and limited network, no coinsurance.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:31 PM

5,590 posts, read 5,110,817 times
While I wait for healthcare.gov to come back on line....

I just started a job two weeks ago, that provides insurance for me BUT it is very expensive. I already had an individual policy through BC BS of NC. I make so little income that I qualify for the exchange, but I'm still not sure If I will end up paying more or less for the insurance. The benefits administrators knew NOTHING about ACA and were helping people fill out forms to pay a LOT of money for insurance.

The silly thing is: no one really knows.

I saw a horrible commercial today asking us to call the president to halt Obamacare. It featured a cancer survivor who did not want her children 'to become a number'. It had no actual info...yet people might be making decisions based on this non-info?

I still think that providing access to insurance is a good thing...but I have no idea how they are going to 'force' people to participate.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:59 PM

You will need to do your own resaerch and instinct what is best as commercial s on this and talking points are propaganda paid by lobbyist on either side.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:31 PM

Here a calculator to help determine cost

How much will Obamacare cost me? (cost calculator) | MyFOX8.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or