Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 09:00 AM

252 posts, read 472,621 times

Advertisements

If we're really lucky, Elizabeth Warren will be our next president and she will have a congress that doesn't fight absolutely every proposal she brings to the table.

State elections in NC aren't simply "we'll let the people decide", because of the gerrymandering of Democratic districts. Its been rigged. Which was explained very well in the article posted here. Its what has actually happened. That is not opinion if it has happened. Same goes with what Art Pope has been up to(facts) while in the process of purchasing our state(my opinion). Facts really aren't needed for republican logic though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 09:03 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,761,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
We get it folks, you hate the GOP and always will.
Don't presume that disagreeing with the SEVERE, overreaching, right turn made in just a few months in our state equates to "hating the GOP". Plenty of Republicans are sick and tired of the current regime and are switching to Unaffiliated or voting split ticket, because this is really not so much about the "old GOP" as it is the Neo-/Tea Party segment that even Art Pope himself has been known to complain about.

What happened to "our ONLY focus will be on jobs, jobs, jobs"?? If they had stayed true to that campaign promise, plenty would have supported them. But the minute they got in office, they went straight for the ideological issues to fire up "the base" and in the process are losing Independents and even fiscal Republicans.

PS, I invite you to point out any inaccurate statements presented as fact (not opinions). I.E., "the GOP gerrymandered to keep themselves in power" is fact, "This is a horrible thing" is an opinion. Clearly you disagree with the opinions of the author, but all the facts he presents are sound, and he has a robust list of references.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:38 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,518,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Um, no. A leftist professor compiled an opinion piece based on articles from other leftist sources. Its been a while since we've had a GOP bash thread though so congratulations. The goal is to never have the GOP as a viable political party, ever. Only the Progressives know what is best for us.

To quote from a movie "All that hate is gonna burn you up kid".
What is opinion about the result of the gerrymandering? When the result is an overwhelming victory for Republicans, the vote tally should reflect that. I know plenty of life-long Republicans who are aghast at the legislature's handiwork.

The Republicans have run on jobs, jobs, jobs for 2 cycles. Explain how closing women's centers over abortion creates jobs. Explain how jobs are created by any of their social legislation.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:53 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,274,304 times
Gerrymandering has been a problem for as long as we have had elections. Under the Democrats, my congressional district varied so wildly from election to election that I could hardly keep up with who my congressman was. No, Democratic gerrymandering of the past does not excuse Republican gerrymandering of the present. But to present only one side discredits the report, even if the information that is reported is reported truthfully.

Regarding social issues -- the same can be said of the Democrats -- in the eyes of many voters (maybe enough to swing an election, as we have just seen) why don't they back-off on the homosexual agenda, feminism, affirmative action, imagined violations of civil rights long ago corrected, Moral Mondays, and so on? Will Democrats ever learn this, or are they so self-righteous that they can't even see the problem? With reference to the post immediately above -- how does support of abortion create jobs?

Old 09-26-2013, 11:03 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,518,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Gerrymandering has been a problem for as long as we have had elections. Under the Democrats, my congressional district varied so wildly from election to election that I could hardly keep up with who my congressman was. No, Democratic gerrymandering of the past does not excuse Republican gerrymandering of the present. But to present only one side discredits the report, even if the information that is reported is reported truthfully.

Regarding social issues -- the same can be said of the Democrats -- in the eyes of many voters (maybe enough to swing an election, as we have just seen) why don't they back-off on the homosexual agenda, feminism, affirmative action, imagined violations of civil rights long ago corrected, Moral Mondays, and so on? Will Democrats ever learn this, or are they so self-righteous that they can't even see the problem? With reference to the post immediately above -- how does support of abortion create jobs?

Regarding Elizabeth Warren -- I think that she has the right stuff, and would make a great president (I know, I just lost most of my audience . . .) but that Clinton, who will stoop to any tactic without hesitation, will slaughter EW in the primaries if it comes to that.
Did Amendment 1 create jobs?

Women's clinics provide basic checkups & cancer screenings. Shutting them over abortion means that poor women lose access to those services & the employees lose their jobs.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:08 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,274,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Did Amendment 1 create jobs?

Women's clinics provide basic checkups & cancer screenings. Shutting them over abortion means that poor women lose access to those services & the employees lose their jobs.
Would shutting-down organized crime be bad, because it resulted in the loss of jobs? How about the drug trade?

My only point is this: dogmatic, self-righteous determinations regarding social issues cut both ways -- Democrat as well as Republican -- depending only on whose ox is being gored. It's not a Republican-only thing by any means.

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 09-26-2013 at 11:32 AM..

Old 09-26-2013, 03:40 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,286,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Would shutting-down organized crime be bad, because it resulted in the loss of jobs? How about the drug trade?

My only point is this: dogmatic, self-righteous determinations regarding social issues cut both ways -- Democrat as well as Republican -- depending only on whose ox is being gored. It's not a Republican-only thing by any means.
true

Old 09-26-2013, 04:44 PM

875 posts, read 1,158,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Not all of them do, and the Asheville clinic was shut down for not meeting basic cleanliness and procedural standards based on 2003 rules. There is another thread on here that has the audit of that facility. You may think women should go to facilities with equipment caked in dust, outdated procedures, lapsed certifications, non-certified people, equipment held together with medical tape and non-sterile surroundings but I don't.

Edit:
Here's a summary from a local news article.

Among the issued cited by the DHHS, the facility:
  • Failed to maintain anesthesia (nitrous oxide gas) delivery systems in good working condition, with torn masks and tubing held together with tape. This could lead to patients not receiving the intended dosage and risk patients not being fully sedated during surgical procedures, leading to pain and physical harm.
  • Failed to ensure emergency equipment had weekly checks to ensure the equipment was suitable for use in patient care and failed to ensure that emergency medicine wasn't expired.
  • Failed to have a resuscitator available.
  • Failed to sweep and mop the operating room floor and failed to properly clean operating room beds.
  • Failed to have a director of nursing responsible and accountable for all nursing services.
  • Failed to have an agreement/contract with an anesthetist or anesthesiologist.
  • Failed to have an agreement/contract with a registered pharmacist to assure appropriate methods, procedures and controls for obtaining, dispensing, and administering drugs.
http://www.wsls.com/story/22982863/d...c-in-asheville

Old 09-26-2013, 05:20 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,527,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
The only name calling, bashing, and hate displayed in this thread so far is yours. It didn't take you long to jump all over a simple link to a scholarly article. It's too bad there can't be a civil discourse here where people can politely agree to disagree.

For the record, I have voted for candidates in both major parties in NC over a period of 43 years. I have no desire to see a one-party system (for either party), and I'm not happy with the drastic turn to the right my home state has made in the past few years.

Francois, thanks for the link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
A "leftist opinion piece"? The article is chock full of facts. Rather than try to defend the indefensible behavior of this legislature, you choose to attack the messenger. Understandable, since otherwise you wouldn't have much of an argument.

I'd say by its actions the GOP is making great progress towards the goal of never having the GOP as a viable political party, ever.
It's been my expericence in this state if you disagree with the right, on anything, you are labeled a leftist. It makes no difference if the disagreement is fact or opinion regardless of your voting record. Their brains can't process the thought patterns of a moderate.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:36 PM

875 posts, read 1,158,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
It's been my expericence in this state if you disagree with the right, on anything, you are labeled a leftist. It makes no difference if the disagreement is fact or opinion regardless of your voting record. Their brains can't process the thought patterns of a moderate.
And it has been my experience on this board that if you disagree with the left you are a racist homophobe that wants to kill the poor. I called the professor a leftist because he is one based on his history and scholarship and the fact that he uses the same anti-right talking points/Art Pope conspiracy theories as the Moral Monday/Progress NC crowd. Progressives such as he aren't moderate and neither was the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina