Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,741,959 times

Advertisements

This article points out most of the many troubling effects of the current Legislature + governor combination in this state. Worth a read for those wanting to learn about the current state of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 09:28 PM

875 posts, read 1,158,099 times
Um, no. A leftist professor compiled an opinion piece based on articles from other leftist sources. Its been a while since we've had a GOP bash thread though so congratulations. The goal is to never have the GOP as a viable political party, ever. Only the Progressives know what is best for us.

To quote from a movie "All that hate is gonna burn you up kid".

Old 09-25-2013, 11:07 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,487,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Um, no. A leftist professor compiled an opinion piece based on articles from other leftist sources. Its been a while since we've had a GOP bash thread though so congratulations. The goal is to never have the GOP as a viable political party, ever. Only the Progressives know what is best for us.

The only name calling, bashing, and hate displayed in this thread so far is yours. It didn't take you long to jump all over a simple link to a scholarly article. It's too bad there can't be a civil discourse here where people can politely agree to disagree.

For the record, I have voted for candidates in both major parties in NC over a period of 43 years. I have no desire to see a one-party system (for either party), and I'm not happy with the drastic turn to the right my home state has made in the past few years.

Francois, thanks for the link.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:30 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,270,446 times
This is not a scholarly article, rather, it is propaganda having the layout and pretensions of a journal paper. Here's clear evidence: "Overview:
Dan Carter assesses the current tumult in North Carolina government and the "hijacking of the state's political system."

Elections have consequences. McCrory was elected by a popular majority, state-wide. In my opinion, he was elected because the Democrat party in NC has become arrogant and dysfunctional. Again, elections have consequences: thanks Bev, Mike, and your disgusting little band of operatives in Raleigh. For the record -- I do not support the Republican agenda, and I did not vote for it.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:07 AM

3,860 posts, read 4,242,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
This is not a scholarly article, rather, it is propaganda having the layout and pretensions of a journal paper. Here's clear evidence: "Overview:
Dan Carter assesses the current tumult in North Carolina government and the "hijacking of the state's political system."

Elections have consequences. McCrory was elected by a popular majority, state-wide. In my opinion, he was elected because the Democrat party in NC has become arrogant and dysfunctional. Again, elections have consequences: thanks Bev, Mike, and your disgusting little band of operatives in Raleigh. For the record -- I do not support the Republican agenda, and I did not vote for it.
Although bombarded with personal and other issues, the state continue to foster growth and amplify an image of the "new" south under their (Mike and Bev) regimes; all of them. Companies and people wanted to move here, especially the more urban areas with the renewed spirit of the new south.

Unfortunately, the south is still stigmatized as backwoods and out of the mainstream and these events seem to reaffirm what others have perceived about NC. I think if the new repub regime would simply focus on economic issues and not social issues, that image would continue to uphold. However, when intent is to hard-fast advance social positions that are clearly out of step with the moderate or centrist political person.....it doesn't take long for that image to be blemished and lump NC into an almost pre civil rights bucket.

The reason NC has progressed more than it's sister states is the Dems unparalleled focus on advancing the NC community college and public university system...keeping cost low with an open arm to everyone. Even the RTP was created with the universities in mind. There isn't any thing special about this state that galvanized the growth, it was the university system laying the framework and creating a talent pool to attract business.

I don't think some of the GOP reps care about that simple fact...already there seems air let out of the balloon with the pride and boastfulness associated with the progress and image of the state....whether true or not, perception has become reality to a lot of people and industries interested in making this state home.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:43 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,130,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post

A "leftist opinion piece"? The article is chock full of facts. Rather than try to defend the indefensible behavior of this legislature, you choose to attack the messenger. Understandable, since otherwise you wouldn't have much of an argument.

I'd say by its actions the GOP is making great progress towards the goal of never having the GOP as a viable political party, ever.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:18 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,313,176 times
Since I am new to NC I don't know much about NC politics but I have learned a couple of things about our current govt. reps.

Healthcare for everyone = bad

Guns for everyone=good

Old 09-26-2013, 07:25 AM

875 posts, read 1,158,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
The only name calling, bashing, and hate displayed in this thread so far is yours. It didn't take you long to jump all over a simple link to a scholarly article. It's too bad there can't be a civil discourse here where people can politely agree to disagree.

For the record, I have voted for candidates in both major parties in NC over a period of 43 years. I have no desire to see a one-party system (for either party), and I'm not happy with the drastic turn to the right my home state has made in the past few years.

Francois, thanks for the link.
Describing someone as a leftist (based on his credentials and previous work) is name-calling, bashing and hateful now? Don't tell me about polite disagreement when conservatives are consistently called racist/homophobes/rednecks/etc. on this board. Maybe you are trolling and I missed some subtle nuance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
A "leftist opinion piece"? The article is chock full of facts. Rather than try to defend the indefensible behavior of this legislature, you choose to attack the messenger. Understandable, since otherwise you wouldn't have much of an argument.
Yeah, the Art Pope conspiracy theory (based on a New Yorker article) really lends credence to the article. This is a professor's opinion of why the GOP acted the way it did (based on other opinion articles) and how it dooms us all in NC. We get it folks, you hate the GOP and always will. You don't have to keep posting these threads to justify your hate.

Last edited by netbrad; 09-26-2013 at 07:48 AM..

Old 09-26-2013, 08:03 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,154,528 times
An eye-popping analysis, thanks for the link.

The GOP continues their march to the tune of "do as I say, not as I do".

The diehard tea naggers will eat this up, but they are the only ones who would prefer anarchy to civilization... I feel confident their reign will be short lived as evidenced by their short-sighted policies (and devotees).

All in all, a crying shame. Our state, bought lock stock and barrel by the ultra conservative uber wealthy intent on advancing their (narrow) interests over the good of the state. It's a strategy for irrelevance. Thank God.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:13 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,270,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
I'd say by its actions the GOP is making great progress towards the goal of never having the GOP as a viable political party, ever.
This may -- or may not -- come to pass. Voters will sort things out.

My speculation: Hillary Clinton may well be our next president (I deeply regret to say) because the dysfunctional national Republican Party will run yet another ideological nitwit against her. Conversely, Republicans may well stay in power in NC (I deeply regret to say) because the dysfunctional NC Democratic Party will field just about an entire slate of incompetent nincompoops next election.

We live in an age of bad government . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina