U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 03:37 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,988,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
Oh wow, look who loves assumptions! You know what assuming does right? Anyways, I'm as diehard a UNC football fan as I am a UNC bball fan. Also, I hate NFL and the NBA. So let's see, that makes you, what, 0 for 3? You're a wizard.
Trust me, the odds were in my favor.

Lighten up Francis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:57 PM

269 posts, read 347,077 times

For their midfield logo alone. I've been to several games at Dowdy, the tailgating is SEC-like. The only downside is the facade on the home side but I've heard that's going to be fixed with a new pressbox.

Next in line would be BB&T if they closed the grass hill.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:12 PM

84 posts, read 117,007 times
Anyone who thinks UNC tailgating is dominated by the wine and cheese crowd is clearly looking though some purple or red blinders. Take a look past tarheeltown on campus and you'll see that just about every parking lot or open field in town is full of grilling, beer, cornhole tournament tailgating traditions.

I'd be willing to bet that majority of people who make the tired and cliche fairweather/wine & cheese crowd comments about Carolina football fans have never actually stepped foot in Kenan on gameday. ESPN ranks the tarpit in the top 10 rowdiest student sections in college football ahead of all of the SEC schools except Alabama.

Zero Dark Thursday getup has Kenan looking pretty badass right now; if I hadn't worked late I'd be at that game screaming my lungs out with everyone else just as I've done at every game I've attended since I was a student there.

How many of those "we beat carolina 5 times in a row" t-shirts do you haters have in your closet? Giovanni Bernard sure made those more ridiculous and irrelevant than they already were last year!

Last edited by uncto...; 10-17-2013 at 08:22 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 06:16 AM

I watched UNC fold to Miami last night.

Despite the fact that it was a nationally televised night game there were a lot of empty seats. If it was such an awesome experience you'd think they could pack the house!

And the idea of Carolina's student section being more raucous than SEC schools is absurd. I don't care whose poll it is. And yes, I've been to Kenan on game day.

Last edited by Native_Son; 10-18-2013 at 07:27 AM..

Old 10-18-2013, 06:40 AM

It was a nationally televised game.... on a Thursday night; it was a game made for students. The students were on Fall Break, and the student section was still packed full with people who stayed for the game. There also weren't that many empty seats...certainly no more than there were when State got their rear ends handed to them by unranked Syracuse last week.

But the point here isn't that State fans are immature and have no sense of reality; and all bias aside I don't even necessarily think that Kenan has the best overall atmosphere in NC. That's probably ECU in all reality. However, the notion that nobody cares and that UNC ONLY has bandwagon fans is beyond stupid and Kenan is definitely a fun place to spend a Saturday...even during a season like this.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncto... View Post
It was a nationally televised game.... on a Thursday night; it was a game made for students. The students were on Fall Break, and the student section was still packed full with people who stayed for the game. There also weren't that many empty seats...certainly no more than there were when State got their rear ends handed to them by unranked Syracuse last week.

But the point here isn't that State fans are immature and have no sense of reality; and all bias aside I don't even necessarily think that Kenan has the best overall atmosphere in NC. That's probably ECU in all reality. However, the notion that nobody cares and that UNC ONLY has bandwagon fans is beyond stupid and Kenan is definitely a fun place to spend a Saturday...even during a season like this.
I'm sure it is. People have fun at Wallace Wade! I know as a child attending games with my dad at Wallace Wade was one of my favorite activities. But the point isn't that UNC fans have their heads in the sand and have humorously horrible deductive logic skills, but that no matter how *pretty* Kenan is, it's no better than third in terms of atmosphere, fan involvement and excitement. And UNCs fans on game days are usually outnumbered by empty seats.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:13 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,157,094 times
Quote:

It was a beautiful Aluminum-out, I mean...."black" out, last night. #zeroDarkNobody

Old 10-20-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I'm sure it is. People have fun at Wallace Wade! I know as a child attending games with my dad at Wallace Wade was one of my favorite activities. But the point isn't that UNC fans have their heads in the sand and have humorously horrible deductive logic skills, but that no matter how *pretty* Kenan is, it's no better than third in terms of atmosphere, fan involvement and excitement. And UNCs fans on game days are usually outnumbered by empty seats.
Again; no sense of reality.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Again; no sense of reality.
Oh, there's *some* sense of reality. I've seen it with my own eyes.

So have some other people, and they took pictures!

And, one of my favorite shots of Kenan on game day.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:32 PM

Where is your picture from last year's State/Carolina game? I was there, the only solemn and unengaged fans in the crowd were wearing red.

Giovanni Bernard Executes N.C. State - YouTube

Again, ftr, I don't expect to be happy with the outcome of next weekend's game. And I can concede that UNC has more than it's fare share of bandwagon fans (mostly for basketball). However..

A) that has nothing to do with students/aslumni/life-long fans legitimacy and

B) It doesn't mean State has some head and shoulders superior football program/fanbase as they like to make themselves believe. I grew up in State Territory and the there were plenty of NC State bandwagon "Walmart fans" as well.

C) Can't we all just laugh at how ridiculously lackluster Duke's football program is and how the whole school and it's entire fanbase for all sports is centered around New Jersey?

Last edited by uncto...; 10-20-2013 at 09:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina