U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 12:41 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,659,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Everything you mention needing ID for is a privilege, not a right.
Really? Well I wonder why you have to have a photo ID to purchase a firearm? 2nd Amendment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 01:00 PM

813 posts, read 965,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
What county did you register in that didnt ask for ID? I only registered twice since I was 18.
The last time I registered in 2002 she ask for my ID and filled out my card from it then explained where I would be voting at.
Registration is not the same as voting, and I think they automatically registered me when I got my NC driver's license. I have never been asked to show the voter registration card or any other ID when voting. All they ask me for is my name, for me to "verify" my address and then sign. I could be anyone if I wanted to commit voter fraud, or I could hire a van full of folks to vote as other people.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:56 PM

1,858 posts, read 1,296,344 times
If the ONLY thing at issue here was the ID requirement you may have a argument...weak but you'd have one.

But when you add in restricting early voting and taxing parents of children who vote at their colleges instead of "driving home" to vote in their hometown then it becomes apparent that the purpose of this is voter suppression and its really quite obvious.

Once you can admit the obvious then we can have an adult conversation about it.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:02 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,988,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
If the ONLY thing at issue here was the ID requirement you may have a argument...weak but you'd have one.

But when you add in restricting early voting and taxing parents of children who vote at their colleges instead of "driving home" to vote in their hometown then it becomes apparent that the purpose of this is voter suppression and its really quite obvious.

Once you can admit the obvious then we can have an adult conversation about it.
Yep!

Old 10-03-2013, 06:18 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 2,956,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Registration is not the same as voting, and I think they automatically registered me when I got my NC driver's license. I have never been asked to show the voter registration card or any other ID when voting. All they ask me for is my name, for me to "verify" my address and then sign. I could be anyone if I wanted to commit voter fraud, or I could hire a van full of folks to vote as other people.
Interesting thread...both sides. But Brad, no, you could NOT hire a van full of people to use your ID. You could only hire one. Once your name has been checked off, that you voted, you'd need to wait 4 years to use it again. How many IDs do you personally have in your possession?

Old 10-03-2013, 07:33 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,918,600 times
I've worked at the polls on many occasions and I've never encountered a single incident of fraud. Never had a voter come in who had already voted, nothing. I don't think it exists, it's a republican ghost that they bring out when they lose an election or two. I never heard the republicans claiming fraud when George w won twice, lol!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Interesting thread...both sides. But Brad, no, you could NOT hire a van full of people to use your ID. You could only hire one. Once your name has been checked off, that you voted, you'd need to wait 4 years to use it again. How many IDs do you personally have in your possession?
What I am saying is prior to the ID requirement, I could get a list of folks from IMAPs and hire a van full of people to vote as them. All they ask for at the polls are your name and to verify your address. Since there was no checking of ID there is no way to verify they are who they say they are.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
I've worked at the polls on many occasions and I've never encountered a single incident of fraud. Never had a voter come in who had already voted, nothing. I don't think it exists, it's a republican ghost that they bring out when they lose an election or two. I never heard the republicans claiming fraud when George w won twice, lol!
Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist or won't in the future. With the hyper-partisan nature of politics, electronic voting and other technological advances (whose security is suspect) doesn't it make sense to enhance the integrity of the system? I'm looking at this from a systems defense perspective, not a political one.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:08 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,064,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
Hrm? G-dubs only won once, in 2004.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:16 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 2,956,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
What I am saying is prior to the ID requirement, I could get a list of folks from IMAPs and hire a van full of people to vote as them. All they ask for at the polls are your name and to verify your address. Since there was no checking of ID there is no way to verify they are who they say they are.
And you'd have to keep your fingers crossed and say some prayers that none of your imaps peeps had already voted, lest you might wind up in a newsworthy complicated mess.

Okay, if you think it's worth the risk, I guess this must be really rampant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina