Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 11:35 AM

70 posts, read 110,916 times

Advertisements

I will be exploring the entire state of NC and borders for a month or longer beginning mid Oct., in search of towns described above to relocate to. I will be based at first around Statesville near cousins, and I will be interested in various camping options nearby areas recommended to me (van dry camping with public restroom/bath house).

My boyfriend will join me later. We have neither children nor pets. He insists on organic food and gluten free options. I follow Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions. We are both older very active. I work online and especially need fellowship outside the typical church or bar options if possible.

I know utopia is a pipe dream but friendly neighbors can be made online in advance of a relocation. All our current friends live in too urban a setting for my spirit. I prefer a rake or broom to a leaf blower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 02:05 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
Well, just off the top of my head, you might want to check out West Jefferson, Saxapahaw, Hillsborough, Black Mountain, Saluda, Sylva, Brevard, and Hendersonville. All are small, but they have nice character, an appreciation of the arts, and a definite rural influence.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:58 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Well, just off the top of my head, you might want to check out West Jefferson, Saxapahaw, Hillsborough, Black Mountain, Saluda, Sylva, Brevard, and Hendersonville. All are small, but they have nice character, an appreciation of the arts, and a definite rural influence.
All nice, but if I were living in these towns (or any) I wouldn't want people with GOATS (or other farm animals) moving into my town.

Maybe a farm outside of the town.

The rest, native plants, rain barrels, organic can be found just about anywhere unless you move into an HOA.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:36 PM

Here's the goat logic:
RentAGoat
I might like to keep one or two mini breed goats as pets instead of dogs...and being able to keep some poultry in town for the eggs would also be nice. More and more municipal regs are changing across the country toward sustainability practices.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:42 PM

if that is your thing then suggest you check muni ordinances first.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:43 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
All nice, but if I were living in these towns (or any) I wouldn't want people with GOATS (or other farm animals) moving into my town.

Maybe a farm outside of the town.

The rest, native plants, rain barrels, organic can be found just about anywhere unless you move into an HOA.

True. I assume the OP would choose a place outside of town, as most towns do have restrictions against farm animals. Of course, for most of the towns I listed, you could throw a rock from just about anywhere in town and have it land outside the town limits.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:14 PM

gotcha

it wouldn't be very neighborly to bring the noise, excrement, and damage of farm animals into a close neighborhood environment even if it was out of town. so if i were to do so, I would check the laws on it.

better than ticking off the neighbors.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:38 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
arby's on the money. In the Triangle Carrboro, Chapel Hill, Saxapahaw, Hillsborough, maybe Pittsboro (although big new development on the docket there) are all very rain barrel, gluten-free, organic friendly and I have seen a goat or two about on occasion. Sally Fallon is a well known name around these parts.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:55 PM

Thanks poppydog.

Someone suggested Gastonia, just that it is nice, but she doesn't know me very well, so her nice might be my nightmare.

I will of course visit municipal web pages for ordinance specs, but help narrowing down is very appreciated.

Arbyunc I like your figurative rock.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:50 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,427,892 times
Had a coworker who bred fainting goats who lived out in Saxapahaw before relocating elsewhere. I think you'd be golden out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina