U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2013, 05:42 AM

613 posts, read 640,701 times

Advertisements

We moved to Wake Forest 10 years ago. It has changed a lot. The main negative is traffic. It gets steadily worse. Another property tax increase, utility increase to go along with our medical insurance massive increase also takes some of the luster from moving here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 01:57 AM

1,964 posts, read 2,554,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
I've been in Cary for around 2 years. I moved here from the Chicago suburbs. I wanted to be closer to some family as well as have a lower cost of living and better weather. I have my own business which I run from home, so employment wasn't an issue.

I'm pretty happy with the move. The weather and proximity to family has been great. I do have some concerns about the Wake County public schools. I don't think they are as good as the school district we left, but the overall lifestyle here is better for my kids. The one negative for me is how in your face some people here are about religion (although I've only experienced this from other transplants, not native North Carolinians).
Really? You know it was called the Bible Belt before the transplants! I guess all those preachers that were yelling with signs on campus years ago were carpetbaggers putting on fake Southern accents.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:40 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,927,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Really? You know it was called the Bible Belt before the transplants! I guess all those preachers that were yelling with signs on campus years ago were carpetbaggers putting on fake Southern accents.
Yes, really! I'm just telling you of my own experience. I live in Cary, so most of my experience is with other transplants. However, the native North Carolinians aren't in my face about attending their favorite mega church in the way that the other transplants are.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:32 AM

10,401 posts, read 19,425,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
We moved to Wake Forest 10 years ago. It has changed a lot. The main negative is traffic. It gets steadily worse. Another property tax increase, utility increase to go along with our medical insurance massive increase also takes some of the luster from moving here.
Ha, ya gotta love a transplant complaining about all of the things wrought by too many transplants...

Old 10-07-2013, 01:51 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,934,744 times
I'm on the fence. Love-hate thing goin' on. I moved to Southern Pines (Moore County) in January 2012 from Little Rock, Arkansas suburbs, and I must say I am looking forward to moving back to Arkansas. However, I think my negative experience here in NC is all due to the places I have had to stay. I moved to the Brookside Park Apartments (the low income housing projects, or "the hood") when I moved here, and I stayed there until I moved to Fayetteville (quite recently). I've been commuting to Fayetteville daily since I moved here though.

Anyways, my experience in SP was miserable. I had to dodge bullets 4 times. Once was while I was walking to the mailbox at 1 in the afternoon. I'm about a block from my apartment, when I hear the all-too-familiar POP POP POP. Probably about 15 shots were fired....I immediately dropped to the ground, because the individuals responsible were less than a block away. Then the car speeds away, and here comes this kid stumbling towards me, bleeding like hell and collapses on the sidewalk. He was shot 4 times! The next time I was walking to my apartment from my car, and heard 3 shots on my street. Dropped to the ground again. Someone's apartment got shot up on my street. Then about a week later, I'm on my front porch smoking a cigarette at about 11 o clock, and once again I hear about 5 shots VERY close, so I once again....dropped to the ground. On the side of my apartment is a little grassy area in between my building and the next, and out comes a man holding his stomach hunched over, leaning with 1 arm on the wall of my apartment. Then he falls over on the sidewalk, 2 feet from my front door, dead. The last time was when I was at work in Aberdeen. I'm out back throwing the morning trash and cardboard in the dumpsters, and ONCE AGAIN I hear 5 shots. I drop. Car speeds off, there's a dead body in my parking lot. I was the manager on duty, so I had to deal with it. This was about a month before the body on my walkway. Turns out, the person who shot the guy at my job was someone who worked at the store with me. I closed the store with him 5 nights a week.

So all in all I;ve had to dodge bullets 4 times, seen 2 dead bodies and 1 more person get shot. My car had 3 bullet holes in it. Not good. And that's just the shootings....I haven't even brought up the countless fights caused my crackheads and drunks, haven't even mentioned the stabbings, havent talked about the constant drug deals going down at all hours of night and day. Miserable!

So I moved to Fayetteville. Not much better here. Luckily, Ive only heard gunshots once since I've been in Fayetteville. Only seen a few fights. But the news here is scary - people getting kidnapped from gas stations on the same road my girlfriend works (Bragg Blvd, the main road in Fay), people getting shot from stray bullets from a separate robbery, 16 year old girl getting raped in the mall, countless other senseless shootings and murders. Hookers walking down Bragg Blvd all night. Disgustingly seedy motels all over the city. It's miserable I hate it here.

All that being said, I love North Carolina. I don't love the Cape Fear/Sandhills region, but everywhere west of here I quite like. I would love to live in the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill metros) or Triad (Greensboro, Winston Salem, High Point metros). I would love to live in Asheville or Boone. Even the Charlotte metro. But nope, I chose Fayetteville - the literal armpit and trashbag of North Carolina. Figures!

Old 10-07-2013, 05:23 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,554,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I'm on the fence. Love-hate thing goin' on. I moved to Southern Pines (Moore County) in January 2012 from Little Rock, Arkansas suburbs, and I must say I am looking forward to moving back to Arkansas. However, I think my negative experience here in NC is all due to the places I have had to stay. I moved to the Brookside Park Apartments (the low income housing projects, or "the hood") when I moved here, and I stayed there until I moved to Fayetteville (quite recently). I've been commuting to Fayetteville daily since I moved here though.

Anyways, my experience in SP was miserable. I had to dodge bullets 4 times. Once was while I was walking to the mailbox at 1 in the afternoon. I'm about a block from my apartment, when I hear the all-too-familiar POP POP POP. Probably about 15 shots were fired....I immediately dropped to the ground, because the individuals responsible were less than a block away. Then the car speeds away, and here comes this kid stumbling towards me, bleeding like hell and collapses on the sidewalk. He was shot 4 times! The next time I was walking to my apartment from my car, and heard 3 shots on my street. Dropped to the ground again. Someone's apartment got shot up on my street. Then about a week later, I'm on my front porch smoking a cigarette at about 11 o clock, and once again I hear about 5 shots VERY close, so I once again....dropped to the ground. On the side of my apartment is a little grassy area in between my building and the next, and out comes a man holding his stomach hunched over, leaning with 1 arm on the wall of my apartment. Then he falls over on the sidewalk, 2 feet from my front door, dead. The last time was when I was at work in Aberdeen. I'm out back throwing the morning trash and cardboard in the dumpsters, and ONCE AGAIN I hear 5 shots. I drop. Car speeds off, there's a dead body in my parking lot. I was the manager on duty, so I had to deal with it. This was about a month before the body on my walkway. Turns out, the person who shot the guy at my job was someone who worked at the store with me. I closed the store with him 5 nights a week.

So all in all I;ve had to dodge bullets 4 times, seen 2 dead bodies and 1 more person get shot. My car had 3 bullet holes in it. Not good. And that's just the shootings....I haven't even brought up the countless fights caused my crackheads and drunks, haven't even mentioned the stabbings, havent talked about the constant drug deals going down at all hours of night and day. Miserable!

So I moved to Fayetteville. Not much better here. Luckily, Ive only heard gunshots once since I've been in Fayetteville. Only seen a few fights. But the news here is scary - people getting kidnapped from gas stations on the same road my girlfriend works (Bragg Blvd, the main road in Fay), people getting shot from stray bullets from a separate robbery, 16 year old girl getting raped in the mall, countless other senseless shootings and murders. Hookers walking down Bragg Blvd all night. Disgustingly seedy motels all over the city. It's miserable I hate it here.

All that being said, I love North Carolina. I don't love the Cape Fear/Sandhills region, but everywhere west of here I quite like. I would love to live in the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill metros) or Triad (Greensboro, Winston Salem, High Point metros). I would love to live in Asheville or Boone. Even the Charlotte metro. But nope, I chose Fayetteville - the literal armpit and trashbag of North Carolina. Figures!
In certain communities, I'm sure they don't even bother to report all the crimes just to make the numbers look better.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:11 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,186,753 times
We've been here 23 years. At first, we moved (from the Midwest) to keep our jobs. Who wants to lose pension benefits, 4 weeks of accumulated vacation, a good health plan and a fun job? We took the transfer.

The first couple of years were difficult. There was an obvious amount of resentment from natives about all of us "new comers". And this was in the Charlotte area - which is a major Transplantville. Also, the problem of missing our families. A lot of nieces and nephews were being born; the older ones were getting married and starting families. Frankly, the Charlotte area didn't impress us at all. Then we began to find our way around, got out of Charlotte and did a lot of exploring, and began to see things that we liked. The east side of the state is OK, we found we aren't beach people, but the wildlife is interesting (animal, not people ). We fell in love with the mountains, discovered the marvel of the Blue Ridge Parkway, realized how easy it is to get to all the historic areas on this side of the country. And the weather. We began to appreciate not having to shovel snow, the summers weren't as brutal as the titanically humid Midwest, the crisp temps and fall colors in the mountains blinded us with beauty.

Four years after being transplanted, corporate poobahs decided that Denver, Colorado would be a better place to locate the business. Again, we thought of our jobs, accepted the move, even put our house up for sale and put in an offer on a house in Denver. All the while, we both (Spouse and I worked for the same company) felt sick. This was nothing like leaving the Midwest. We weren't happy to leave that place, but still felt the excitement of trying out a new spot. Facing the prospect of leaving NC? That was bad. Rilly-rilly bad. We didn't wanna go. We got through helping to pack up the business, having a going away party, getting our stuff ready to move. Barely two weeks before we were needed in Denver, after a night of no sleep, Spouse and I turned to one another and said, almost in unison "I can't do this." The poobahs at corporate HQ were not happy. We were the leads in our department, they depended on us to help with the transition. Co-workers were surprised "you guys are seniors! you're going to lose all the benefits, HAVE TO FIND NEW JOBS! Are you nuts?" We just shrugged and said "we don't want to leave NC."

We went to Denver for a month to help get things going (all the while listening to people who tried to sell us on the great things about Colorado. It IS a neat place, just didn't have what it takes to make us leave NC) and then found ourselves out of work. Took us months to find new jobs; the economy was in the toilet at that time; but an even better change occurred: we got out of the Charlotte area and moved near Winston-Salem. That was a sigh of relief. We wanted to stay in NC, but really dreaded having to stay around Charlotte.

All these years later, we've begun to think of another relocation - NE Tennesse, maybe SW Virginia. We'd like to be in the mountain areas, but not around Asheville. And there has not been a single regret. We never got back to the point of having jobs with as great benefits as the one that brought us to NC, but what we traded when we gave that up has been worth it.

Last edited by silverwing; 10-08-2013 at 08:21 AM..

Old 10-08-2013, 08:34 AM

989 posts, read 1,651,143 times
Loved the move. Golf 10 months of the year(okay 12, but don't tell my wife). The cold weather last about 3 weeks. We're a little farther west in the time zone so we get between 30 minutes and and hour more daylight than New England. My commute in 36 minutes everyday from Pittsboro to RTP. I've sat in 1 traffic jam in 6 years....and that's because a hay truck caught fire.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:37 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,871,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post

One of the benefits of living in the "hood" in NC. If you don't have a police record you still get to CCW.
Good Job NC politicians, it sure would make me feel safe.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:22 PM

544 posts, read 887,103 times
Just moved to Raleigh from DC a few weeks ago. So far, love it - I can afford to live way closer to my work, so it's just my commute from 45 min + to under 20. Everything is so cheap, the people are friendly and the area is WAY safer than the part of MD I lived in. I don't have kids, so I don't care about the quality of schools. Since I just moved, I haven't had a chance to do a ton of exploring, but it seems like there's no end of things to do within a 3 hour drive of Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or