U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 01:31 AM

1,964 posts, read 2,537,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I disagree with the poster who said GSO is boring and dull...I think GSO is a nice, vibrant place. At least compared to where I am now, which is a city with similar population figures. If you want boring and dull, go to FAY. I would much rather live in GSO or WS...much more urban, much better job opps. I notice that GSO seems to have a higher crime rate than FAY...is this true? I don't hear much in the way of shootings and robberies in GSO as I do in FAY. Sorry I keep comparing it with FAY it's just where I live so meh. I passed through WS a few times and ate lunch somewheres in there, the area I drove through did seem a tad bit ghetto.
The prospect of being shot at and robbed doesn't sound dull to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 10:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,340 times
Default Better Than Most

As an NC transplant (I live in the Triad), all I have to say is, there's nowhere in America that finds as good a balance of climate, natural beauty (and mountains/beaches) amazing food, politics (depending on how big your town is), sports/entertainment, diversity, music, craft beer, education, general friendliness, and CoL than North Carolina. I say this knowing that if I had lived in a sprawling Charlotte suburb or Greater RD when I first moved here, I might feel differently. The only thing that gets in the way of quality of life in my opinion is a car-dependent culture and lagging highway infrastructure, but that's 95% of America...

My credibility here is that I've lived in cities on the West Coast, Midwest, and Northeast: LA, Seattle, Wichita, Kansas City, Omaha, St. Louis, Chicago, Boston... and I have spent tons of time hanging with family and friends in Phoenix, Vegas, all the major metros in Texas, Memphis, New York, DC, and Tampa. Whew. Obviously, I'm not familiar with the Deep South or much of Florida, so if someone thinks I'm stiffing Atlanta or Miami, and I need to revisit this claim, throw me a bone...

Old 08-14-2015, 09:44 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,891,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheHill89 View Post
As an NC transplant (I live in the Triad), all I have to say is, there's nowhere in America that finds as good a balance of climate, natural beauty (and mountains/beaches) amazing food, politics (depending on how big your town is), sports/entertainment, diversity, music, craft beer, education, general friendliness, and CoL than North Carolina. I say this knowing that if I had lived in a sprawling Charlotte suburb or Greater RD when I first moved here, I might feel differently. The only thing that gets in the way of quality of life in my opinion is a car-dependent culture and lagging highway infrastructure, but that's 95% of America...

My credibility here is that I've lived in cities on the West Coast, Midwest, and Northeast: LA, Seattle, Wichita, Kansas City, Omaha, St. Louis, Chicago, Boston... and I have spent tons of time hanging with family and friends in Phoenix, Vegas, all the major metros in Texas, Memphis, New York, DC, and Tampa. Whew. Obviously, I'm not familiar with the Deep South or much of Florida, so if someone thinks I'm stiffing Atlanta or Miami, and I need to revisit this claim, throw me a bone...
Living in the Triad is not drastically different culturally from living in North Georgia (everything above Macon), but life in Atlanta is very different just because it's one of the largest cities in the U.S. Atlanta is part of the Piedmont, just like the Triad...and there are minor cultural differences but the main thing is the large city vs. smaller city vibe. I lived in Miami for a short while also, and it's very different from both mainly due to the tropical weather/vegetation and the prominence of the Spanish language. The culture didn't feel drastically different, but it had a definite unique flavor compared to the Triad or Atlanta.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:04 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,643,177 times
I have lived in Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Flat a Rock, and Manteo, just in NC. I have Also lived in NJ, NY, Boston, St. Louis, TX, San Carlos, and Oregon.

My NC Pick would be Chapel Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or