Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 01:03 PM

14 posts, read 18,895 times

Advertisements

My Wife and I are planning on Moving to the Triangle in June of 2014. This Thread has been helpful. We are moving from Phoenix, AZ which is a city of transplants and tourists. I personally am looking foreword to seeing what the area has to offer, and meeting new friendly faces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 01:19 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
One of the benefits of living in the "hood" in NC. If you don't have a police record you still get to CCW.
Good Job NC politicians, it sure would make me feel safe.
Something tells me guys that committed these crimes didn't buy a gun legitimately that could be traced to them and bother going through the CCW process.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:54 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Something tells me guys that committed these crimes didn't buy a gun legitimately that could be traced to them and bother going through the CCW process.
the charges on the guy who got shot 4 times int he drive by was charged with possession of firearm by a felon, possession of stolen firearm, possession of firearm with altered serial number, shooting a firearm into an occupied dwelling, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of marijuana, posession of cocaine, posession of cocaine with intent to distribute, and there was something else i think awdw or attempted murder. but yeah, couldnt be traced to him lucky he dropped it near the crime scene....if you live in NC you might have heard this one on the news, the guy "escaped" from UNCCH hospital

Old 10-14-2013, 01:29 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,627,720 times
I spent 18 years in NY state; 12.5 years in San Diego; 1.5 years in southern NV; 2.5 years in southern UT; 4.5 years in OR. It's now been a bit over 8 years in NC. NC feels like home more than any place other than San Diego. If I could afford it, I'd be back in SD. But I don't see that happening anytime in the near future - not as long as our daughter is in school (6 years until she graduates high school).

We sold our house in the Portland, OR suburbs in mid-2005. No plan on where to go initially at the time we got the offer. We had a moving company move our stuff, and when getting quotes, we just had them base the quote on Raleigh, NC because we didn't know where we were headed. If I hadn't gotten a job (the offer came a couple weeks before the sale closed), we were likely headed to the Triangle, but were open to other states in the southeast (we were looking for sunnier/warmer climate than the Pacific Northwest). We had done a lot of "best places" type of online tests taking into account various factors and what was important or not to us, and Greenville (along with several other southeast cities) were at the top of the list.

Got a job in Greenville NC and moved there in July 2005. Unfortunately, the company struggled and nearly went under; I lost my job in 2009. Moved to a small home northeast of Raleigh since I figured that was the likely area I'd find a job. Ended up finding a job in mid-2011 in Winston-Salem; we've enjoyed our new home here in the Triad. We like the area, though the Triangle would still be our first choice. But we do have much more house here in the Triad than we would have been able to afford in the Triangle.

We are very happy we chose NC for our home. We were a bit disappointed in the lack of "southern hospitality," especially in Greenville NC. We enjoy the climate and the cost of living. Oregon was too liberal for us; Greenville probably a bit too conservative. We're both pretty much conservative libertarians - I don't say that to stoke a political discussion, just to note where we "fit in" (or not) in the places we've been. Winston-Salem has been a good fit for us.

If we move out of the area, the only places I see us moving would be Texas or back to San Diego. Or perhaps somewhere in the Caribbean - though that's highly unlikely.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:54 AM

36 posts, read 89,563 times
We moved to NC 17 years ago. I grew up in Flushing, NYC and lived there all my life. My wife wanted to stay in NY because of our extended family, but I didn't want to raise kids in NY and was growing increasingly frustrated with the political climate of NY City and NY State. My wife finally relented and we've been very happy down here.

Even though we're transplants here, we didn't want to turn NC into the place we fled from. Unfortunately, a lot of other transplants coming to NC bring bring a lot of habits and attitudes from the places they left. Don't know why people want to come here if they want to turn it into the state they fled.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:14 AM

4 posts, read 7,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The problem is that few people want to move to those places that are still "predominantly North Carolinian" because there are either no jobs, few if any local amenities, and often a mindset that is still very politically and socially conservative--which can be off-putting to a lot of folks. Most people don't relocate to be out in the boonies. They move for a better quality of life, a lower cost of living, and better jobs. All that is most often found in the places you mentioned. Basically, people move to NC for the New South, not the old one.

im moving to be in the boonies! i just dont know what part of NC will put me there! i want to be somewhere by greensboro, and have good schools. those are pretty much my only requirements!

Old 07-20-2014, 01:18 AM

4 posts, read 7,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I'm quite familiar with the Triad, since many of my relatives live in small towns nearby and I visit them often. You left off the third city in the Triad, High Point. But it is the smallest of the three and not a very vibrant place. I think Greensboro is dull and uninteresting too.

But I agree that Winston-Salem is a sleeper and might occupy that "middle ground." It's a city overshadowed by the NC places that get more attention here on C-D, and in real life, and it's more urbane than you'd expect for a city its size, with a decent smattering of amenities and housing that is still relatively affordable.

is WS a good place to raise a family,with good schools? Im hearing a lot about it, but like you mentionsed, its overshadowed so you dont hear everything about it.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:21 PM

165 posts, read 189,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtruckn View Post
We moved to NC 17 years ago. I grew up in Flushing, NYC and lived there all my life. My wife wanted to stay in NY because of our extended family, but I didn't want to raise kids in NY and was growing increasingly frustrated with the political climate of NY City and NY State. My wife finally relented and we've been very happy down here.

Even though we're transplants here, we didn't want to turn NC into the place we fled from. Unfortunately, a lot of other transplants coming to NC bring bring a lot of habits and attitudes from the places they left. Don't know why people want to come here if they want to turn it into the state they fled.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:47 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbhadzhen View Post
My home state of North Carolina seems to be the jewel of the south.
It was until the GOP took over.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:03 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
I disagree with the poster who said GSO is boring and dull...I think GSO is a nice, vibrant place. At least compared to where I am now, which is a city with similar population figures. If you want boring and dull, go to FAY. I would much rather live in GSO or WS...much more urban, much better job opps. I notice that GSO seems to have a higher crime rate than FAY...is this true? I don't hear much in the way of shootings and robberies in GSO as I do in FAY. Sorry I keep comparing it with FAY it's just where I live so meh. I passed through WS a few times and ate lunch somewheres in there, the area I drove through did seem a tad bit ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina