Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2013, 11:13 AM

226 posts, read 506,771 times

Advertisements

Okay, first off, I am neither considering nor advocating this idea. This post is merely intended to satisfy my curiosity on the subject and see what others think. Period.

Given the number of people moving to the Triangle who likely still have addresses in the previous state where there is more competition and hence lower health insurance rates, I wondered if it's something that would be possible?

I've known about people who use out of state addresses to get cheaper car insurance, so this morning I was thinking what's to stop people from doing the same thing with health insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 11:37 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Where are they getting their insurance from? If it's an employer, you're not going to have much choice. If you're self employed, there is paperwork that must go along with your insurance. Too much to go into here, but we kept our old insurance when we moved here because my DH"s company was domiciled in NY, but once he switched it to here, it was not possible to keep the NY insurance. And keeping the company domiciled in NY was not to our economic benefit.

Our NY insurance was only slightly cheaper but it was better. Would be nice to still have that.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:03 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mussakka View Post
[b]

I've known about people who use out of state addresses to get cheaper car insurance, so this morning I was thinking what's to stop people from doing the same thing with health insurance?
I don't think that will be possible under the new ACA program unless they allow out of network coverage. It does bring up the question of what happens to people who split their time living in two different states and how ACA enrollment would impact healthcare coverage in those cases.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:22 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I don't think that will be possible under the new ACA program unless they allow out of network coverage. It does bring up the question of what happens to people who split their time living in two different states and how ACA enrollment would impact healthcare coverage in those cases.
I imagine it would be based on which location a person declares as his/her legal principal residence.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:25 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I imagine it would be based on which location a person declares as his/her legal principal residence.
Many retirees who travel arrange to have a home of record in Florida, Washington, Texas, or Alaska as these states have no state income tax.

They rent mailboxes that have addresses not just box numbers. They open bank accounts.

I always thought you had to be in one place for 6 months and one day to declare residency. But apparently, not.

Many wealthy people have homes in Florida and declare that as their state of residence. Ft. Meyers, Naples...even though they may live in other homes a good part of the year.

Wonder how folks like these handle health insurance.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:04 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Okay, first off, I am neither considering nor advocating this idea. This post is merely intended to satisfy my curiosity on the subject and see what others think. Period.

Given the number of people moving to the Triangle who likely still have addresses in the previous state where there is more competition and hence lower health insurance rates, I wondered if it's something that would be possible?

Can you say "fraud"? And guess what - file a claim and they figure it out and they can legally say you have no health insurance.

Same goes for car insurance companies, btw. I worked with someone that tried to pull this trick and got caught. The entire policy was null and void.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:18 PM

978 posts, read 2,052,789 times
Not sure about the new ACA, but my current insurance is through BCBSNC even though I do not live in NC anymore. They told me I can keep it because the policy was started when I lived in NC. I am going to cancel it for 2014 because it's cheaper to get insurance in my current state than to keep my current policy.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:04 PM

226 posts, read 506,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Can you say "fraud"? And guess what - file a claim and they figure it out and they can legally say you have no health insurance.

Same goes for car insurance companies, btw. I worked with someone that tried to pull this trick and got caught. The entire policy was null and void.
Yeah, I make no pretense this is legal. Yet, with so many people able to use the system, it did bring this question to mind.

I've heard of auto policies being nullified retroactively. In other words, it's as if the insurance never existed. I suppose with medical stuff, if they did something similar then you'd suddenly be on the receiving end of a LOT of very expensive bills.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:15 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Yeah, I make no pretense this is legal. Yet, with so many people able to use the system, it did bring this question to mind.

I've heard of auto policies being nullified retroactively. In other words, it's as if the insurance never existed. I suppose with medical stuff, if they did something similar then you'd suddenly be on the receiving end of a LOT of very expensive bills.
Bingo. Happens with more frequency than you'd realize when people don't 'fess up about their pre-existing conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina