Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 03:36 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Progress is not bad. Following Progressive policies to end up like Detroit is. Progressing to the point where government controls all aspect of your life and "knows what is best" is also not acceptable. Wanting to prevent a political party from ever existing (the endgame for Progress NC vs. the GOP) is not very Progressive either.
Wouldn't that be like most of what the GA did this year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 04:22 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I really can't wait to see what the response is to this..... (if you get one)

Old 10-07-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
I really can't wait to see what the response is to this..... (if you get one)
That's a big if. If you include last year, they got into everyone's bedrooms to determine if our relationships deserve to be accepted. They decided that they know what's best for women, but you know the litaney. . .It seems like all they did was get into people's private business.

Well, no, they did lower Art Pope's taxes for him.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:32 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,544 times
Quote:
I don't recall the GA asking us to become subservient to the state in all aspects of our life. If you believe that is what they did then Progressives should be applauding their actions because that is their end game.

Quote:
That's a big if. If you include last year, they got into everyone's bedrooms to determine if our relationships deserve to be accepted. They decided that they know what's best for women, but you know the litaney. . .It seems like all they did was get into people's private business.

Well, no, they did lower Art Pope's taxes for him.
-The comic wasn't about last year so the Amendment One jab (decided by the people, who are supposed to be listened to according to Progressives) is irrelevant. Besides, it squares up with the President's view (until he wanted votes, then his stance "evolved"). Gay relationships were not denied this year as far as I'm aware.

-Having an abortion facility meet minimum medical standards is a function of government and comments about the failed Asheville facility audit have been posted in several places. I thought abortions were supposed to be safe?

- I don't see how lowering taxes for all North Carolinians who pay them is a bad thing. You can complain about Art Pope if you complain equally about George Soros and ProgressNC, both are different sides of the same coin.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:49 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Quote:
- I don't see how lowering taxes for all North Carolinians who pay them is a bad thing.
Lowering taxes isn't so bad. But when it's the "finishing move" to other policy moves like making healthcare more expensive, cutting unemployment to the bone, clipping local government at the knees, rolling back environmental regs (down to the local level), limiting healthcare for women, limiting the civil rights of citizens, subsidizing big business interests on the backs of the citizens, limiting the ability of the populace to vote, and passing the worst budget for education in umpteen years, then it's really just a slap in the face to a lot of people.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I don't recall the GA asking us to become subservient to the state in all aspects of our life. If you believe that is what they did then Progressives should be applauding their actions because that is their end game.

-The comic wasn't about last year so the Amendment One jab (decided by the people, who are supposed to be listened to according to Progressives) is irrelevant. Besides, it squares up with the President's view (until he wanted votes, then his stance "evolved"). Gay relationships were not denied this year as far as I'm aware.

-Having an abortion facility meet minimum medical standards is a function of government and comments about the failed Asheville facility audit have been posted in several places. I thought abortions were supposed to be safe?

- I don't see how lowering taxes for all North Carolinians who pay them is a bad thing. You can complain about Art Pope if you complain equally about George Soros and ProgressNC, both are different sides of the same coin.
Abortions are performed in facilities that give check ups & cancer screenings to poor women. Those women now have nowhere to go. That's how it is all over this country. Compared to the facilities provided by back alley abortionists before Roe V Wade? There is no comparison.

Yeah, Christie Whitman lowered the taxes in NJ years ago. That was supposed to create jobs. I saw an extra $5. That was about average if you made a middle class wage. The wealthy got thousands. The middle class & the poor pump money back into the economy. That's basic economic knowledge.

If you feel sorry for Art Pope, send him a check & rest assured that he won't use it to raise wages for his minimum wage workers. After all, he inherited the money, so he deserves more.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Lowering taxes isn't so bad. But when it's the "finishing move" to other policy moves like making healthcare more expensive, cutting unemployment to the bone, clipping local government at the knees, rolling back environmental regs (down to the local level), limiting healthcare for women, limiting the civil rights of citizens, subsidizing big business interests on the backs of the citizens, limiting the ability of the populace to vote, and passing the worst budget for education in umpteen years, then it's really just a slap in the face to a lot of people.
Counterpoint:

-Health care more expensive - The ACA did that regardless of whether or not there is an exchange.
-Cutting unemployment to the bone - Where was the money going to come from?
-Clipping local government at the knees - You mean like taking control of a mismanaged airport?
-Rolling back environmental regs - If overburdensome I don't see a problem. Believe it or not people care about the environment but it shouldn't choke normal business activity.
-Limiting health care for women - Facilities have time to meet the requirements and abortion is still legal.
-Limiting the civil rights of citizens - Actually they expanded them with the restaurant carry legislation. If you are referring to Amendment One that is not from this session and gay marriage has always been illegal in NC.
-Subsidizing big business interests on the backs of the citizens - Always a complaint whenever taxes are lowered. Which "big business" are you referring to? Red Hat? SAS? Verizon? Anybody in RTP?
-Limiting the ability of the populace to vote - Other states that have similar laws don't seem to have a problem.
-Passing the worst budget for education in umpteen years - Actually this budget was an increase compared to the previous administration with raises budgeted for next year. So how is that worse than Easeley or Purdue?

Old 10-08-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Abortions are performed in facilities that give check ups & cancer screenings to poor women. Those women now have nowhere to go. That's how it is all over this country. Compared to the facilities provided by back alley abortionists before Roe V Wade? There is no comparison.
If a facility lacks the competence to keep equipment in good working order and their rooms clean and sterile perhaps they should not be open. They can choose to meet the requirements or not. Progressives want the government involved in health care via the ACA but the NC GA can't regulate any aspect of health care? Do you see the hypocrisy in that?

Quote:
Yeah, Christie Whitman lowered the taxes in NJ years ago. That was supposed to create jobs. I saw an extra $5. That was about average if you made a middle class wage. The wealthy got thousands. The middle class & the poor pump money back into the economy. That's basic economic knowledge.
This isn't about NJ. The poor don't pump money back into the economy because they have no disposable income to spend. The poor also don't pay much in taxes. I would expect however that with the current economic malaise we may not see effects of the NC tax decrease for a couple of years.

Quote:
If you feel sorry for Art Pope, send him a check & rest assured that he won't use it to raise wages for his minimum wage workers. After all, he inherited the money, so he deserves more.
I don't know where you got that impression but it appears you are jealous of those that are more successful than you, especially if they are involved in politics. Would you same the same of George Soros and his funding of ProgressNC?

Old 10-08-2013, 08:35 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Quote:
Counterpoint:

-Health care more expensive - The ACA did that regardless of whether or not there is an exchange.
-Cutting unemployment to the bone - Where was the money going to come from?
-Clipping local government at the knees - You mean like taking control of a mismanaged airport?
-Rolling back environmental regs - If overburdensome I don't see a problem. Believe it or not people care about the environment but it shouldn't choke normal business activity.
-Limiting health care for women - Facilities have time to meet the requirements and abortion is still legal.
-Limiting the civil rights of citizens - Actually they expanded them with the restaurant carry legislation. If you are referring to Amendment One that is not from this session and gay marriage has always been illegal in NC.
-Subsidizing big business interests on the backs of the citizens - Always a complaint whenever taxes are lowered. Which "big business" are you referring to? Red Hat? SAS? Verizon? Anybody in RTP?
-Limiting the ability of the populace to vote - Other states that have similar laws don't seem to have a problem.
-Passing the worst budget for education in umpteen years - Actually this budget was an increase compared to the previous administration with raises budgeted for next year. So how is that worse than Easeley or Purdue?
1. Decision not to expand Medicaid makes healthcare more expensive right now.
2. Airport is one example of many.. Including, but not limited to annexation rules, limit of local powers by State Law
3. "If overburdensome"? Funny thing about pollution law... It's always overburdensome to the company that has to pay and always too lenient for the family of a dying cancer patient. Laws get more stringent over time with good reason. I won't go into excruciating detail here, but you don't even feel
A desire to KNOW what regs are being dialed back? That doesn't concern you?
4. How trite. I find your comment disingenuous at best regarding women's care...
5. Yay guns?!? Boo AMENDMENT to disallow civil unions. One vastly outweighs the other.
6. Developers are big winners in NC. So are gas & oil companies. Those would the beneficiaries of the examples in my mind.
7. Horse hockey. I ain't talking about ID or registration cards.
8. Do yourself a favor... Learn the facts about the education budget BEFORE you try to defend it. Brad, you're skipping along the surface here. Not many of your defenses would withstand the shallowest of inspection.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
If a facility lacks the competence to keep equipment in good working order and their rooms clean and sterile perhaps they should not be open. They can choose to meet the requirements or not. Progressives want the government involved in health care via the ACA but the NC GA can't regulate any aspect of health care? Do you see the hypocrisy in that?

This isn't about NJ. The poor don't pump money back into the economy because they have no disposable income to spend. The poor also don't pay much in taxes. I would expect however that with the current economic malaise we may not see effects of the NC tax decrease for a couple of years.

I don't know where you got that impression but it appears you are jealous of those that are more successful than you, especially if they are involved in politics. Would you same the same of George Soros and his funding of ProgressNC?
I've watched the tax cuts of Reagan, Bush 1, Bush 2, & Christy Whitman fail to benefit the middle & lower classes & most important of all, fail to increase jobs. That's not jealousy, it's knowing that this has not worked for decades. I have no shred of hope that it will work in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina