U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 05:29 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,170,034 times

Advertisements

My employees costs were about to go up from 30-40%. Mine were $425 a month and the new BCBS plan went to over $900 a month! I closed the company, now I'm on an individual plan back at the $425 range. My former employees are on their own. Sorry, but I could not make it work for all of us. I was not a political decision for me, but I think politics created
what happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 01:13 PM

3 posts, read 9,029 times
Let me start out by saying that I am a Licensed Health Insurance Agent in North Carolina. I am not speaking politically because the ACA has actually been financially beneficial to me, which is my perspective.

With this said, I have assisted roughly 60-70 individuals thus far, with the deadline obviously looming right around the corner. Roughly 25-40% of these have been from employers who have found it better to drop their group offering due to the cost benefit in savings to them. Secondly, it was actually a penalty to most of their workers because offering group coverage disqualifies them from a Subsidy. This is fundamentally flawed, clearly.

The other group is just simply individuals who have previously been unable to afford any sort of Health Insurance. I really enjoy helping these people, because they are so excited and have the burden lifted off of them of health conditions. Clearly, my main concern is the viability of the ACA because these people are receiving 75-100% of their premium paid, and a plan with a $500 deductible (Silver Enhanced)..It does not feel sustainable, but maybe it will be.

I definitely understand the criticisms and critiques from both sides of the argument. I have basically just told myself to help as many people as I can now and then we will see what shakes down after the November elections. Wholesale changes could be upon us in 2015, but who knows!

Best of luck to everyone!

Old 02-20-2014, 05:44 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,170,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCLT View Post
Let me start out by saying that I am a Licensed Health Insurance Agent in North Carolina. I am not speaking politically because the ACA has actually been financially beneficial to me, which is my perspective.

With this said, I have assisted roughly 60-70 individuals thus far, with the deadline obviously looming right around the corner. Roughly 25-40% of these have been from employers who have found it better to drop their group offering due to the cost benefit in savings to them. Secondly, it was actually a penalty to most of their workers because offering group coverage disqualifies them from a Subsidy. This is fundamentally flawed, clearly.

The other group is just simply individuals who have previously been unable to afford any sort of Health Insurance. I really enjoy helping these people, because they are so excited and have the burden lifted off of them of health conditions. Clearly, my main concern is the viability of the ACA because these people are receiving 75-100% of their premium paid, and a plan with a $500 deductible (Silver Enhanced)..It does not feel sustainable, but maybe it will be.

I definitely understand the criticisms and critiques from both sides of the argument. I have basically just told myself to help as many people as I can now and then we will see what shakes down after the November elections. Wholesale changes could be upon us in 2015, but who knows!

Best of luck to everyone!
There are not enough high premium payers or enough tax payers to subsidize this joke of a program.
So, where are the subsidies coming from? You got - Just keep our printing presses rolling!!!
This is a disaster for all of us and it is hurting many Americans. The truth is wholesale changes will never happen as long as the government manages the system. This is what the "takers" wanted from our government and this is what they got.

The private market place will only drive competition - just like Dominos Pizza and Pappa Johns, Godfather, Marco's, Pizza Hut.

"Hoping" everyone stays healthy and alive is better than luck right now - we need some Change!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina