U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2013, 06:01 AM
 
1,484 posts, read 3,780,372 times
Reputation: 732

Advertisements

Its mostly in Lee and Moore, the shale actually comes out of the ground to the right of deep river or as you get closer to Wake. This will most likely have caused the gas in that area to leak out over thousands of years. That is why they like Lee county so much. Even though. they wont know how much is there until they drill more test wells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2013, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Durm
5,875 posts, read 8,842,206 times
Reputation: 6618
Very, very concerned - I live in Durham. Really between fracking and the state of our healthcare plans I need to sell the house and get out of here. And I otherwise would not want to do that. Signed, freaking out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 06:27 PM
 
129 posts, read 200,610 times
Reputation: 140
Sell to someone with the fracking company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 08:59 PM
LLN
 
Location: Upstairs closet
4,981 posts, read 8,745,550 times
Reputation: 6451
Crap, I thought it said FERKING. You had my interest for a moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2013, 05:57 AM
 
1,484 posts, read 3,780,372 times
Reputation: 732
Default slow down

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Very, very concerned - I live in Durham. Really between fracking and the state of our healthcare plans I need to sell the house and get out of here. And I otherwise would not want to do that. Signed, freaking out
Slow down. The only leases that have been signed are in Lee county and I dont think anywhere else. It is not allowed to start until 2015 with a permit and even then with pooling, there have to be some landowners willing to sign. Its a lot harder for them to do this in populated areas because they need alot of owners willing to sign to have enough space to do it because there arent alot of large tracts of land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2013, 09:23 AM
 
Location: From the Middle East of the USA
664 posts, read 581,839 times
Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
Slow down. The only leases that have been signed are in Lee county and I dont think anywhere else. It is not allowed to start until 2015 with a permit and even then with pooling, there have to be some landowners willing to sign. Its a lot harder for them to do this in populated areas because they need alot of owners willing to sign to have enough space to do it because there arent alot of large tracts of land.
How much space are we talking about? Space for piping, large machinery, workers... how much land is needed for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2013, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Midtown Atlanta
77 posts, read 158,295 times
Reputation: 137
They have to own the mineral (subsurface) rights to a certain amount of land that makes up a "drilling unit" - a minimum acreage based on the depth of the well.

Basically, when they drill the well and start sucking gas out of the ground, they're going to be pulling it from a much larger area than just directly under that one parcel - same as with drilling for oil (see the film There Will Be Blood and the "I drink your milkshake" scene ). I don't think the surface equipment takes up very much space in comparison.

Here's a good explanation of drilling units and pooling:
Fact Sheet: Fracking & Mandatory Pooling | Ohio Environmental Council

I'm not sure if NC will have exactly the same rules or if it's an industry-wide standard, but that will give you a good idea of why they need the mineral rights to so much land and why forced/mandatory pooling is so controversial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2013, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Lee County NC
2 posts, read 2,427 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
How much space are we talking about? Space for piping, large machinery, workers... how much land is needed for that?
Way too much land will be needed and trees removed . Don't forget the water . The NC -MEC chairman told Lee Co that they will allow the fracking companies to take millions of gallons of water Per Day , from Deep River . I am sure there will be more rivers like Haw also !
In Lee Co alone there are approx. 1/6 of the land leased to frack now . There are Many counties that will suffer . With the current proposed Compulsory Pooling Laws in NC , people can and will be Forced into fracking.
I just found this forum and was glad to see people are talking about this . I run a page on facebook called Lee Co NC say no to fracking , I also help spread the word about NC orgs that also are fighting this like frackFreeNC , BREDL and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2013, 03:15 PM
 
1,259 posts, read 1,268,552 times
Reputation: 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeCo Landowner View Post
Way too much land will be needed and trees removed . Don't forget the water . The NC -MEC chairman told Lee Co that they will allow the fracking companies to take millions of gallons of water Per Day , from Deep River . I am sure there will be more rivers like Haw also !
In Lee Co alone there are approx. 1/6 of the land leased to frack now . There are Many counties that will suffer . With the current proposed Compulsory Pooling Laws in NC , people can and will be Forced into fracking.
I just found this forum and was glad to see people are talking about this . I run a page on facebook called Lee Co NC say no to fracking , I also help spread the word about NC orgs that also are fighting this like frackFreeNC , BREDL and more.
A well pad is 5 acres in size give or take an acre or 2. They can pull gas from over 1000 acres, from one site. They can even drill these wells in populated areas, as they are doing in PA now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2013, 07:45 PM
 
1,484 posts, read 3,780,372 times
Reputation: 732
Default well

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeCo Landowner View Post
Way too much land will be needed and trees removed . Don't forget the water . The NC -MEC chairman told Lee Co that they will allow the fracking companies to take millions of gallons of water Per Day , from Deep River . I am sure there will be more rivers like Haw also !
In Lee Co alone there are approx. 1/6 of the land leased to frack now . There are Many counties that will suffer . With the current proposed Compulsory Pooling Laws in NC , people can and will be Forced into fracking.
I just found this forum and was glad to see people are talking about this . I run a page on facebook called Lee Co NC say no to fracking , I also help spread the word about NC orgs that also are fighting this like frackFreeNC , BREDL and more.
I guess that is what people want if they leased their land so it is a done deal. No one forced anyone to sign a lease and yet lee county leased plenty of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top