U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:01 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,780,111 times

Advertisements

NC Senate panel OKs framework to regulate fracking :: WRAL.com

Funny how they say we have a 40yr supply or gas then change it to 5 yr supply and now pushing it through as quite as they can.

I cannot believe that this has not raised more of an issue here considering what happens to the water (undrinkable) once it starts. I dont know if this has even been done in such a populated area as it would be here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 07:08 AM

4,598 posts, read 8,931,463 times
The thing I don't understand is natural gas is at an all-time low price wise. It would seem the smart thing to do would be to hold onto your gas reserves until the price increases to maximize the state's profits. At today's prices we'd be basically giving the gas away.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:55 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,780,111 times
Default yes

And we will be selling it to the highest bidder, it is not going to be used locally and since Energy is a global marker it doesnt matter locally or not.

The water is poisened most of the time and once it is, it cannot be cleaned and noone can live there. The current "sell" will be that it will be safe...

Old 06-06-2012, 12:41 PM

2,648 posts, read 6,084,360 times
It's scary to think that moron politicians in Raleigh (and yes, there are morons on both sides of the aisle) will make these decisions.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:42 PM

10,565 posts, read 4,409,775 times
No matter what they do Regulation wise will stop those Chem. from showing up in the water supply. It may not happen right away but it will happen, the Corp. involved will be long gone so it will take legal action to repair. An example is sewage,when a sewage system has a break it takes a while for the grey water to show up. Once it dues it is spread over large areas with huge clean up costs.

The only way that Fracking should be allowed is if there are funds created with large sums to grow over time to correct the problems which will occur. The sad part is that nimby will not protect a lot of people in any area where fracking occurs.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:24 AM

5,875 posts, read 8,840,210 times
Default Two dems vote to override fracking veto, one by mistake and one intentional

I'm not sure which is worse, the fact that the deciding vote was cast by mistake, or that my local rep voted to override (perhaps, allegedly, maybe) because of film incentives.

Carney: 'I feel rotten' about accidental fracking vote :: WRAL.com

Hamilton breaks ranks to bolster film incentives | StarNewsOnline.com

On a positive note, maybe when celebrities come to NC to film they will never lack for cookout fuel as perhaps they can just turn on the faucet. How neat!

Last edited by NM posts; 07-03-2012 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: I used barbecue as a verb!

Old 07-03-2012, 08:11 AM

21,968 posts, read 27,252,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I'm not sure which is worse, the fact that the deciding vote was cast by mistake, or that my local rep voted to override (perhaps, allegedly, maybe) because of film incentives.

Carney: 'I feel rotten' about accidental fracking vote :: WRAL.com

Hamilton breaks ranks to bolster film incentives | StarNewsOnline.com

On a positive note, maybe when celebrities come to NC to film they will never lack for cookout fuel as perhaps they can just turn on the faucet. How neat!
That's just great. I sure hope that the legislature goes back to the usual Democratic majority after November.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:33 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,744,235 times
I have been doing a lot of research, and I am not convinced fracking is the end of the world that many imply. I hope all the anti-fracking folks are reading/studying the issue and not just sheep, jumping on the bandwagon.

Sure there are risks and potential dangers, but there is also a lot of mitigating measures that are taken. Not saying I am the fracking czar, but I am backing off my "'me too, I hate fracking" position until I learn more, a lot more."

Having said that, the "accidental" voter should be drawn and quartered. Immediately.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 AM

816 posts, read 969,938 times
Quote:
You know the faucet in that movie was nowhere near any fracking operations right? And that naturally occurring methane in water, while rare, is possible? This bill allows fracking to be studied and safeguards to be put in place. What is wrong with that?

Quote:
Not saying I am the fracking czar, but I am backing off my "'me too, I hate fracking" position until I learn more, a lot more.
Thank you for being a voice of reason. At least you are willing to do some research.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:12 AM

21,968 posts, read 27,252,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I have been doing a lot of research, and I am not convinced fracking is the end of the world that many imply. I hope all the anti-fracking folks are reading/studying the issue and not just sheep, jumping on the bandwagon.

Sure there are risks and potential dangers, but there is also a lot of mitigating measures that are taken. Not saying I am the fracking czar, but I am backing off my "'me too, I hate fracking" position until I learn more, a lot more."

Having said that, the "accidental" voter should be drawn and quartered. Immediately.
If they want to frak in western states where towns can be 100 miles apart, let them. All of the areas that formed the 13 original colonies & portions of those states that were not setled before the Revolution share a characteristic. They are dotted with tiny little towns in rural areas.

Having been a technician for most of my life, I'm happy enough to not be one of the 1st to jump on the bandwagon for things that are new. I'm happy enough to let the kinks get worked out first. What they do know is that frakking uses a lot of water. Where's that water coming from? Whose water supply is compromised? They're also realizing that this pollutes the water table. Whose water supply does that screw up? They also know that NC does not have a huge amount of the gas. This is short-term as a job source, but what is the lasting damage? If this would provide jobs for a generation or two, maybe I'd feel differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina