Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:23 PM

53 posts, read 205,180 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband is Army and we have found out we are most likely moving to Ft Bragg this summer. I am sort of dreading this based on all the bad press Fayetteville gets just about everywhere - we love our current home and school system here in northern Virginia.

Since getting this news, we've been researching like crazy - our first priority is a safe school with good test scores for our elementary-aged sons. From all the data we have read, it seems that Stoney Point Elementary is the school we should try to get into.

From the MLS listings it looks like there is a newer subdivision called "Pear Tree" - anyone have any knowledge of that area? We are looking for a clean, safe neighborhood with military-friendly, professional neighbors.

Thanks for any info anyone can throw our way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 07:08 PM

67 posts, read 285,305 times
You've probably hit on the right area for your family. I work at a school in that district, and it is by far the best school district in the county. Teachers in the county flock to that school - you really do get the best of the best there.
Pear Tree is just finishing a second phase of building, so there are plenty of houses for sale there, though they seem to go quick. Lots of school aged families there - I know that Stoney Point has one bus that drops off about 30 kids just in that one subdivision!

Good luck and let me know if you want any more info - I've worked in the county schools system for more than a decade, most in that part of town.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:34 AM

Thank you so much for the great information - I am glad that our research hit the mark and that the schools are good. It is amazing how that becomes the #1 priority once you have kids!

Our current bus stop has 22 - so we're looking for a subdivision with lots of young kids.

Thanks again for your helpful words.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:19 AM

420 posts, read 1,534,536 times
I have no useful info on what you want to know---but I did want to say that Fort Bragg is one of the most beautiful places in NC! The long leaf pine forest is extraordinary and the recreational opportunities on base are impressive.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:27 PM

999 posts, read 4,651,484 times
Pear Tree is very nice, the whole area there in the Stoney Point Elementary school district is nice. I lived close to Pear Tree in Runnymeade Acres, one bus was FILLED 3 to a seat with elementary kids, and there were only 160 houses in the development. There are other nice subdivisions there, Landsdowne II is the newer one (landsdowne is older, but has bigger lots, smaller homes) There's also Landsdowne West, similar to the regular Landsdowne. Other subdivs, but with more expensive homes. Good luck, I LOVED the school there, we were only there for a year but living there made Fayetteville a nice place to be.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:17 PM

Thanks again for the info - you all have been very helpful We plan to drive down after Christmas on a preliminary "eyeball-the-neighborhoods" trip. Your input has helped convince us that we'll look in the Stoney Point school area.

One quick question - I have not, for the life of me, been able to figure out the school hours for Stoney Point from the Cumberland Co Schools website. Do any of you know what the hours are for elementary students and kindergarteners?

Old 11-21-2007, 07:27 AM

5 posts, read 23,231 times
I'm sure you already know this, but avoid Murchison Rd, Ramsey St and areas around those streets. Even when I lived in Fayetteville, I never drove down "the Murk" at night and usually avoided it during the day also, if at all possible.

I'm not familiar with the areas you asked about so I can't help you there. My family lived close to the Haymount Historical area. They lived between Ft Bragg Rd and Morganton Rd. on a quiet two block street. They lived there from the mid 1940s until 2 years ago and never had problems with break ins, difficult neighbors, etc amazingly.

I lived in a quiet area off Ramsey St because I taught at a school in that area. However, they put a trailer park in a few streets away from us and within a year, we started having problems in the neighborhood. I moved away after my Rottweiler was shot and my house broken into even with me having a fenced yard with padlocks on both gates.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:15 PM

999 posts, read 4,651,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by commandingspirit View Post

One quick question - I have not, for the life of me, been able to figure out the school hours for Stoney Point from the Cumberland Co Schools website. Do any of you know what the hours are for elementary students and kindergarteners?
Last school year the hours were about 745 or 8 am- 230 (I think--or pretty close), the bus came at 715am and the kids were home before 3.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:15 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbornandbred View Post
I'm sure you already know this, but avoid Murchison Rd, Ramsey St and areas around those streets. Even when I lived in Fayetteville, I never drove down "the Murk" at night and usually avoided it during the day also, if at all possible.
Yep, also avoid the Bonnie Doone area of Bragg Blvd if you can. That's where all the skanky hookers hang out. One tried to get in my truck and I had to haul ass up out of there.

Also stay away from the Shaw Rd area, Southgate, Grove St....all bad areas.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,712 times
Default Wondering about your search

Hi. My husband & I are moving into Fayetteville in May. Have you bought yet? Did you pick Peartree? I was there yesterday, and that is the number one subdivision that I want to buy in. I just found your post trying to search for more info on this place. I would love to know how your search is going. I fell in love with Peartree. I hope to be making an offer soon. Hope to hear from you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina