Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2013, 07:09 AM

23 posts, read 67,565 times

Advertisements

I visited California for four days and I missed the southern feeling that NC has and I missed cheerwine, moon pies, hush puppies, and sweet tea(a lot of the restaurants didn't have it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 08:03 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times

"Carolina in the Morning" (Al Jolson, 1947) - YouTube

Old 10-19-2013, 02:20 PM

I will say that growing up in NC, I wasn't the biggest fan. As an adult, though, I've traveled all across the US, Europe, and the Middle East. I must say the more places I've travel the more and more I appreciate NC. I love my home state, I had to leave it to truly appreciate it.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:16 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhovianGirl18 View Post
I visited California for four days and I missed the southern feeling that NC has and I missed cheerwine, moon pies, hush puppies, and sweet tea(a lot of the restaurants didn't have it).
Uhh.. Why don't you try something different than what you can get where you're from?? The restaurants in California have some incredible fare but I guess if you consider *moon pies* a delicacy I doubt you'd be able to appreciate it.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Uhh.. Why don't you try something different than what you can get where you're from?? The restaurants in California have some incredible fare but I guess if you consider *moon pies* a delicacy I doubt you'd be able to appreciate it.
I think you missed her point. You can enjoy where you're at and still miss where you're from. When I was in San Diego I hit up every restaurant I saw on The Food Network or ever read about in a "best of" article. I frequented the swap meet. I clubbed in The Gas Lamp District. I ran from close to the Old Town area, where I was staying, to every beach in Sam Diego. Put over 100 miles on my feet. I watched the Sunset over the Pacific at Sunset Cliffs. And I loved it all. Still I missed the sun rises over Atlantic (in fact one of the last things I did before I drove out west was watch a sunrise at the beach), I missed sweet tea (unsweetened tea is even hard to find, it's typically only Lipton flavored teas out there), I missed muscadine grapes, hoop cheese biscuits, flea malls, southern foods (hmmm Hildas's and Casey's), my Uncle's homemade wine, and moonshine.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:05 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I think you missed her point. You can enjoy where you're at and still miss where you're from. When I was in San Diego I hit up every restaurant I saw on The Food Network or ever read about in a "best of" article. I frequented the swap meet. I clubbed in The Gas Lamp District. I ran from close to the Old Town area, where I was staying, to every beach in Sam Diego. Put over 100 miles on my feet. I watched the Sunset over the Pacific at Sunset Cliffs. And I loved it all. Still I missed the sun rises over Atlantic (in fact one of the last things I did before I drove out west was watch a sunrise at the beach), I missed sweet tea (unsweetened tea is even hard to find, it's typically only Lipton flavored teas out there), I missed muscadine grapes, hoop cheese biscuits, flea malls, southern foods (hmmm Hildas's and Casey's), my Uncle's homemade wine, and moonshine.
I think you missed mine! What the OP posted is like saying that someone didn't enjoy visiting the Louvre because because it did not contain a cartoon picture of Mickey Mouse which they had grown up with all their life.. Taste is subjective, I understand. But this train of thought is indicative of a narrow mindedness that many people find frusturating about this region.

FWIW, I couldn't imagine dining at Fogo De chao or Donovan's in San Diego and missing hoop cheese biscuits or moonshine...

Old 10-20-2013, 07:17 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
I spent 2 weeks in Colorado this past summer and didn't miss NC or its weather. I did miss my pups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina