U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 09:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,506,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Not really focusing on a particular company. However, potential companies that want to relocate tend to shy away from states that revel in this type of ignorant rhetoric.
Basically its your speculation or assume speculation conspiracy but no legitimate proof that it is occurring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 09:56 AM

3,107 posts, read 4,130,506 times
"You know we can hear you, right?"--- Aasif Mandvi to Don Yelton

Old 10-25-2013, 10:00 AM

989 posts, read 1,647,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
I know right, especially since Asheville is considered a very liberal place, but the comments made by Don Yelton are reflective of NC conservatives, it took having a Republican-controlled state government to really bring it all to light!
This guy’s comments are not a reflection on conservatives. There are nut job racists on the fringes of left and right and neither are reflective of the state. Just shun them as they come along on both sides. One thing I think the republicans do better is drum out the bad quickly.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:09 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,634,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
One thing I think the republicans do better is drum out the bad quickly.
It all depends on your definition of "bad." However, they have had plenty of opportunities to practice.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:34 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,067,992 times
Quote:
This guy’s comments are not a reflection on conservatives. There are nut job racists on the fringes of left and right and neither are reflective of the state. Just shun them as they come along on both sides. One thing I think the republicans do better is drum out the bad quickly.

His comments mirror those of conservative voters who post online blogs and online comments on message boards. His comments mirror those of conservative television and radio show hosts and guests. His comments mirror those of conservative politicians who either are too stupid to realize how they sound, or think that nobody is listening.

It's nice to see that the Republicans are finally starting to acknowledge the voter suppresion laws they enacted were strictly to make it more difficult for Democratic voters to cast their votes. I suppose if you can't win, then cheat.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:17 AM

989 posts, read 1,647,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
... His comments mirror those of conservative television and radio show hosts and guests. ....

Link? I'm as conservative as anyone and the only race I think about is the race to $20 trillion dollars in debt. I listen to Lemay occasionally, Hannity occasionally, and Gibson. Please post their racist comments so I too can join in bashing them. Some people possess the gift that only the truly liberal of the liberal have. These people do not need to listen to a republican’s words. While the republican is speaking, these people are able to go into a trance. While in this trance they are able to connect their minds with the republican mind without the republican knowing it and actually translate the republican’s words into true liberal speak and know what they really mean. Don’t play cards with these people.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:35 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,804,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Not really focusing on a particular company. However, potential companies that want to relocate tend to shy away from states that revel in this type of ignorant rhetoric.
Not supporting Yelton by any means, but tell that to Texas, where places like Austin and DFW and others continue to attract growth despite conservative state politics.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:39 PM

5,374 posts, read 6,504,137 times
Come on. People can be stupid. And talk shows go looking for stupid people to get them to act stupid. ANd apparently that is what this show did.

Regardless of politics. Just stoopid and unthinking.

The show could just as easily select someone with a bit of thought to them and had a good conversation and maybe even effected some positive change. But no, easier to go for the cheap laugh.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:20 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,749,010 times
Quote:
This is what's called false equivalency and is something I hear all the time when conservative after conservative does something out on the fringe......BTW, that fringe must be getting pretty big because there never seems to be a limit to the supply of nut jobs lately.

I'm all for these nut jobs getting exposed. I am looking forward to the day when the Republican Party realizes that they are a liability and not a baseline voting block on which to build. I hate to say it but I believe that the % of people aligned to this guy's thinking is larger than most would want to admit. Only when the power is yanked from them will we be able to get people of differing but reasonable viewpoints to work together toward common solutions.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:47 PM

11,855 posts, read 21,423,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Come on. People can be stupid. And talk shows go looking for stupid people to get them to act stupid. ANd apparently that is what this show did.

Regardless of politics. Just stoopid and unthinking.

The show could just as easily select someone with a bit of thought to them and had a good conversation and maybe even effected some positive change. But no, easier to go for the cheap laugh.
...it is, after all, on Comedy Central...

The interview at the end of that show (IIRC) had Charles Krauthammer, a quote from his bio

Quote:
Krauthammer is a contributor to Fox News and a contributing editor to both The Weekly Standard and The New Republic.
Unbelievably, even though it's a show for "libs", they do a pretty good job of talking about the republican agenda in a sensible debate. More so, than, say other "unbiased fair, & balanced" networks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina