Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 06:19 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
The sad fact of the matter is that NC is way behind the times on this issue. There is literally no logical reason to deny an entire class of people basic human rights.
Well so much for the thread subject. I don't think opposite sex marriage is a "basic" human right. Unstarve the children then come back and talk to me about tax breaks. So there's plenty of logic whether it's right is another question but that doesn't belong on this thread or this forum and I don't want this to get moved to the evil place. Also, I'm not sure there can be a "literal" logically reason for anything. Many people use the word "literal" to mean "I really mean it" and not actually what "literal" means. And you say NC is behind? If this isn't solved on national level first, NC will be LEADING the nation (unlike those selfish cowards in California) to make it legal at the aid of elected politicians. I'd say that's pretty cutting edge even if I don't agree with anything else you said.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
What lawsuit? And I suppose we don't need a new thread if we're comingingling. Meanwhile I hit something and my browser is working differently here. Subscribed Threads is also gone. Is that an "upgrade" or wrong button?
The Fisher-Borne v. Smith case, since NC doesnt recognize SSM nor guidelines how to handle custody issues of children of SSM from other legal states.

Far as the technical issues see 'About The Forum' at bottom of the index page for discussion on it.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The Fisher-Borne v. Smith case, since NC doesnt recognize SSM nor guidelines how to handle custody issues of children of SSM from other legal states.

Far as the technical issues see 'About The Forum' at bottom of the index page for discussion on it.
Oh I didn't realize that was filed in Greensboro. Explains more about them adding the register of deeds to it from there except it doesn't since he was just doing his job and he is pro SSM.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Oh I didn't realize that was filed in Greensboro. Explains more about them adding the register of deeds to it from there except it doesn't since he was just doing his job and he is pro SSM.
That is actually a separate issue . This is the case I was referring to https://www.aclu.org/lgbt-rights/fisher-borne-v-smith Article on it Gay and lesbian couples sue for marriage equality and adoption rights in North Carolina | News Feature | Indy Week

Old 10-29-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
OK look I'm on cold meds so you need to type slower. The ACLU added the Guildford and Durham county RODs to the lawsuit when the were given the go ahead to expand it. So what other issue? Mind you I talk about four different RODs a day so I'm easy to confuse. It's the Buncombe ROD that I'm mad at. Guildford is cool and he did it right. He stated the facts, upheld his oath and didn't lie by saying he can't issue licenses to gay people. There's a right way and a wrong way and if you have to lie to support your cause then you aren't supporting it.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:30 PM

Ok Ill type slower ( one thousand one, thousand 2) just kidding, I dont know what up with forum but it running on skleton mode, but html codes work.
For spaces between sentences type < br> w/o space. I follow, you are right the recent 11 Buncombe couples, and Register of deeds in Guildford couple N.C. official denies marriage licenses, but issues statement of support are totally different, and I agree with you the law has been set.

Looks like this is just a start in challenging our law by Southern Equality. ASHEVILLE: 11 same-sex couples seek marriage licenses in Buncombe County | Charlotte Observer News | NewsObserver.com IMO those are not lawsuits as of yet, it going to be interesting watching what AG Cooper does.
The lawsuit of Fisher-Borne was filed before DOMA was settled, Im sure there a thread on it but the search feature not working either. That case is already cleared all hurdles that the Supreme Court is next, that what I was referring to.
IMO the register of deeds after A1 has passed should said Sorry cant do, next. I have notice it a wave going on, like New Jersey and Kentucky.

I cant type like this it is like a flash back of the days of DOS typing in html and bb code.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Ok Ill type slower ( one thousand one, thousand 2) just kidding, I dont know what up with forum but it running on skleton mode, but html codes work.
For spaces between sentences type < br> w/o space. I follow, you are right the recent 11 Buncombe couples, and Register of deeds in Guildford couple N.C. official denies marriage licenses, but issues statement of support are totally different, and I agree with you the law has been set.

Looks like this is just a start in challenging our law by Southern Equality. ASHEVILLE: 11 same-sex couples seek marriage licenses in Buncombe County | Charlotte Observer News | NewsObserver.com IMO those are not lawsuits as of yet, it going to be interesting watching what AG Cooper does.
The lawsuit of Fisher-Borne was filed before DOMA was settled, Im sure there a thread on it but the search feature not working either. That case is already cleared all hurdles that the Supreme Court is next, that what I was referring to.
IMO the register of deeds after A1 has passed should said Sorry cant do, next. I have notice it a wave going on, like New Jersey and Kentucky.

I cant type like this it is like a flash back of the days of DOS typing in html and bb code.
And the point there is he could have said it very loudly. Instead, like a child he said "I don't know if I'm allowed to do this so I'll do it and then ask mommy" except of course one swore an oath. I don't think the ACLU case is done by any means. Cooper is doing what he is suppose to do. Uphold the law as well as everyone else the ACLU needlessly sued (RODs and judges Cooper was the correct one to sue). So why is the ACLU gumming up the system when all they are doing is actually slowing down the case? Cooper et al should tow the line and that way if ACLU wins no one can point at Cooper for using his personal bias in the case which would both upset his gov run and be grounds for appeal. But it's also interesting that if the ACLU wins before the election and "the people" were serious about the way the amendment went then they might not be all that happy with Cooper. I don't know which % of Democrats might be that way because of tradition but might not support SSM. If his election results are a referendum on A1 then I'd like to see those talking about how liberals can't get out to the polls as an excuse.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:55 PM

[quote=MrBojangles;32013674]It was deliberately scheduled to be voted on during the primary election, which happen to only have Republicans primary for President, and basically no other reason besides this Amendment for any other person.

So SSM advocates couldn't be bothered? That's quite shameful if true. [This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 9 seconds]

Old 10-30-2013, 07:49 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Thankfully, we have the federal courts to override the unjust actions of the more primitively minded locations.
Why do we even bother to hold elections anymore on anything? We should all just let the courts decide our laws for us right?

Old 10-30-2013, 07:57 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
It was deliberately scheduled to be voted on during the primary election, which happen to only have Republicans primary for President, and basically no other reason besides this Amendment for any other person.

Only 34.66% of the North Carolina electorate voted for Amendment One in May, vs. 67.74% of the registered voters in November. The Republicans knew that it would have been MUCH closer if they let people vote in November, and not during just a Republican primary season.
I disagree.

This was not some secret vote, you and everyone else had the opportunity to vote any way you chose on that day.

If anything, the anti-Amendment One folks had the upper hand with robo-calling and money to get their word out.

In the end, North Carolina voters decided.

The only way to look at this, is the people who really cared about this issue showed up to vote, and that is both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina