Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 02:39 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
My logic? I've made no logical assertions here; I merely quoted the NC general statutes. So again I don't get what you're trying to say. If I have to guess from your ambiguous ramblings, it seems you're bent out of shape because the Register of Deeds office in Asheville has decided to accept same-sex marriage license applications. You apparently don't understand that the laws in NC address the validity of same-sex marriage, and not the legality of what documents the Register of Deeds may accept.

Maybe if you try using bigger words you can clarify what you're talking about.
I apologize, the message you replied to was meant to be deleted as it seems we cannot bridge this gap. I hit edit, put the reason for deletion but alas didn't hit delete.

Since you wish to push the law issue I will point out that you have not posted anything that asserts your position. There is nothing in the law that bans gay marriage in North Carolina.

The ROD in Asheville cannot "accept" same sex marriage license applications because there is nothing in the law that states that is one of his duties. I suppose it can be a hobby of his along with a complete failure to understand his duties. He could also collect use clothes and shoes which would be just as valid under the law.

The ROD in Asheville can also "accept" your application for a driver's license if he so chooses. It has the same effect under the law. To snow you.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:42 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You are trying to backpedal and turning into a semantic issue, the backpedeler's best friend.

"Gay marriage" is merely an uninformed colloquial way of saying "same-sex marriage". NOBODY refers to a marriage between a gay man and a straight woman (or even a lesbian woman) as a "gay marraige"--that is strictly used in all parlance to mean man + man or woman + woman. Regardless of the orientation of either, so a heterosexual man is banned from marrying a heterosexual man for whatever reason they might choose to do so. As you state, sexual orientation is not mentioned, but "gay marriage" refers to the UNION, not to the individuals therein (or not therein, in the case of NC).

Which is exactly why people need to stop using "gay marriage" and using the proper term "same-sex" or "same-gender" marriage.
And there you have it. You are against straight, same sex marriage which is what I was worrying about this. People being bigoted while pretending to be progressive. As a heterosexual I am highly offended that you would label me as gay just because I wanted to male another straight male.

"Uniformed colloquial" is an interesting concept. As far as semantics go, this entire thread is based on semantics so there is no backpedal. This is what you get when one leaches on to a specific tunneled vision.

But then you confuse me by adopting my exact position. Your summary is exactly what I was getting at. Congrats on confusing me.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:26 AM

4,595 posts, read 6,424,950 times
It should not be referred to as "gay marriage" or "same-sex marriage." It is simply "marriage" and the issue of "marriage equality" and liberty.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
This thread has drifted ages ago about nothing about North Carolina and has become argumentative over silly semantics with nothing productive instead back and forth over and over again.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina