Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 07:09 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,158,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
There is no such thing in North Carolina. The concept doesn't exist therefore it is neither existing nor banned. There is nothing in the law that addresses gay anything.

GCharlotte, can you explain exactly what you're getting at with this thread? Someone posted earlier the specific statute that prohibits gay marriage in NC--it's NC General Statute 51-1.2, which says:

Marriages between persons of the same gender not valid.

This statute very clearly prohibits gay marriages in NC. So please explain what are you trying to say with this thread, because so far you aren't making much sense.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:41 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
GCharlotte, can you explain exactly what you're getting at with this thread? Someone posted earlier the specific statute that prohibits gay marriage in NC--it's NC General Statute 51-1.2, which says:

Marriages between persons of the same gender not valid.

This statute very clearly prohibits gay marriages in NC. So please explain what are you trying to say with this thread, because so far you aren't making much sense.
I don't think I can explain it so you can understand it if you don't understand the difference between gender and sexual orientation. To be clear to anyone else, my statement is directed to the news media and to politicians that execute the law through issuing marriage licenses and therefore should have some idea what it is they swore to protect which clearly the ROD in Asheville does not.

The effect of the law and the word of the law may be two different things. If a judge ordered you to be taken out back and shot for speeding and you were then shot, it would not change the law to say that is what the punishment is.

Try this:

Straight white man wants to marry straight black man. They are refused. Does this mean the law doesn't allow interracial marriages? Of course it does. They are a mixed race couple and not gay but still refused.

mod cut: Please refrain from flaming comments

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-11-2013 at 08:51 AM..

Old 11-11-2013, 09:40 AM

^ Still doesn't explain what you're trying to say. I quite understand the difference between gender and sexual orientation, but I don't understand cryptic analogies that appear to have nothing to do with the subject at hand. Just say what you mean to say and perhaps we'll get your point. That is, assuming you have one.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:17 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Call it a unionship, slap on the same benefits, and keep rolling.
call all marriages "unionships" and then we can talk.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:22 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Because marriage is a religious term. It should be performed in a religious setting with religious officials. But the government should have a standard term for the unionship, a unionship (or whatever).
And, same sex couple who are married in a religious setting would be allowed to refer to their union a marriage; while heterosexual couples who are "unionized" by a public servant would "civil unioned"? the problem really isn't what you call it, the problem is that some people think gay people are less than human.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^ Still doesn't explain what you're trying to say. I quite understand the difference between gender and sexual orientation, but I don't understand cryptic analogies that appear to have nothing to do with the subject at hand. Just say what you mean to say and perhaps we'll get your point. That is, assuming you have one.
No, your failure to understand extremely basic simple words is the issue here.

You do know heterosexual marriage is also banned in NC under your logic.

Last edited by GCharlotte; 11-14-2013 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: I can't fix a disconnect.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
call all marriages "unionships" and then we can talk.
Maybe that's a good idea. IDK. Perhaps from a legal standpoint we should be able to pick one (though the slippery slope people will say why not 2 or 3 or a dog) and just enjoy the legal protections that gives everyone equally and then go to whatever church or whatnot for whatever flavor of solemnization we wish.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:00 AM

Another question would be, do you support or not the right for straight heterosexual couples to same sex marry? I'm sure that's a tiny minority but minorities are what we are talking about here.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
No, your failure to understand extremely basic simple words is the issue here.

You do know heterosexual marriage is also banned in NC under your logic.

My logic? I've made no logical assertions here; I merely quoted the NC general statutes. So again I don't get what you're trying to say. If I have to guess from your ambiguous ramblings, it seems you're bent out of shape because the Register of Deeds office in Asheville has decided to accept same-sex marriage license applications. You apparently don't understand that the laws in NC address the validity of same-sex marriage, and not the legality of what documents the Register of Deeds may accept.

Maybe if you try using bigger words you can clarify what you're talking about.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:07 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
I don't think I can explain it so you can understand it if you don't understand the difference between gender and sexual orientation.
You are trying to backpedal and turning into a semantic issue, the backpedeler's best friend.

"Gay marriage" is merely an uninformed colloquial way of saying "same-sex marriage". NOBODY refers to a marriage between a gay man and a straight woman (or even a lesbian woman) as a "gay marraige"--that is strictly used in all parlance to mean man + man or woman + woman. Regardless of the orientation of either, so a heterosexual man is banned from marrying a heterosexual man for whatever reason they might choose to do so. As you state, sexual orientation is not mentioned, but "gay marriage" refers to the UNION, not to the individuals therein (or not therein, in the case of NC).

Which is exactly why people need to stop using "gay marriage" and using the proper term "same-sex" or "same-gender" marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina