Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,805 times

Advertisements

First off I am new to city-data. Now on to my topic/question. I have decided to break my lease because both me and my fiance have new jobs that are not even remotely close to where we live, Denver NC (between charlotte and hickory). Landlord has been pretty good with working with us on breaking the lease. Pay 2 months rent plus she keeps the deposit. Its not ideal but it will work for us. However, she just gave us a notice that she wants to show the apartment the next day. Problem here is that our place is a mess and we have dog who is the protective type if you come in to her home without us knowing. She barked and howled at the cable guy once because I was in the backyard left the door open and he decided to come on in without even telling me he was even here!! So im worried about them showing the apartment while we are away. Legally do we have to make sure the apartment is "show worthy" or "model home" clean? Also is it unreasonable for me to request we be there because of our dog? I dont really have the money to board her every time they want to show the apartment. As I am paying a bunch of money already. Suggestions or advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 05:34 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by draines011488 View Post
First off I am new to city-data. Now on to my topic/question. I have decided to break my lease because both me and my fiance have new jobs that are not even remotely close to where we live, Denver NC (between charlotte and hickory). Landlord has been pretty good with working with us on breaking the lease. Pay 2 months rent plus she keeps the deposit. Its not ideal but it will work for us. However, she just gave us a notice that she wants to show the apartment the next day. Problem here is that our place is a mess and we have dog who is the protective type if you come in to her home without us knowing. She barked and howled at the cable guy once because I was in the backyard left the door open and he decided to come on in without even telling me he was even here!! So im worried about them showing the apartment while we are away. Legally do we have to make sure the apartment is "show worthy" or "model home" clean? Also is it unreasonable for me to request we be there because of our dog? I dont really have the money to board her every time they want to show the apartment. As I am paying a bunch of money already. Suggestions or advice?
Does the lease address this?

Old 10-31-2013, 05:43 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by draines011488 View Post
However, she just gave us a notice that she wants to show the apartment the next day.
24 hours is common and reasonable.
The sooner she shows it and gets a new tenant the sooner...

Quote:
...do we have to make sure the apartment is "show worthy" ...?
No.

Quote:
Also is it unreasonable for me to request we be there ...
No. Especially with the dog.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:42 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
I've seen this complaint before from tenants, and it befuddles me a bit why landlords are in such a rush. I would NOT want prospective tenants to see an occupied unit. I want all of the prior occupants' stuff out so that I can inspect the premisis and get everything fixed and cleaned. Good condition properties fetch better tenants who have higher standards. Show a trashy place, and you get... well...

Old 10-31-2013, 11:50 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
I've seen this complaint before from tenants, and it befuddles me a bit why landlords are in such a rush. I would NOT want prospective tenants to see an occupied unit. I want all of the prior occupants' stuff out so that I can inspect the premisis and get everything fixed and cleaned. Good condition properties fetch better tenants who have higher standards. Show a trashy place, and you get... well...
because these tenants are breaking the lease, so she wants paying tenants in the apt ASAP

Old 11-01-2013, 05:40 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,419 times
I'd also look up the NC tenant security deposit act. Landlords can only use the deposit for certain specific things and have to provide an accounting of what was deducted.

I use the standard NC REALTOR leases and it contains a clause that allows showings and entry during reasonable hours (no prior notice is stated). I will market and show the property once the tenant gives me notice they are moving out.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:40 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
I use the standard NC REALTOR leases and it contains a clause that allows showings and entry during reasonable hours (no prior notice is stated). I will market and show the property once the tenant gives me notice they are moving out.

No prior notice is stated? How can that even be possible?

Do you give any, even if it's not stated?

I can envision many scenarios where you just showing up to show the apartment would be a bad thing. That is just not acceptable, at all.

I have a dog and when I rented, it would have been a big deal - also, my dog going ballistic and the strangers who barged in would make it difficult for the potential renters to see the apartment.

Do you just walk in if they don't answer?

Old 11-01-2013, 07:08 PM

3,648 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
No prior notice is stated? How can that even be possible?

Do you give any, even if it's not stated?

I can envision many scenarios where you just showing up to show the apartment would be a bad thing. That is just not acceptable, at all.

I have a dog and when I rented, it would have been a big deal - also, my dog going ballistic and the strangers who barged in would make it difficult for the potential renters to see the apartment.

Do you just walk in if they don't answer?
I agree, that isn't acceptable at all. I for one would be extremely put off by a realtor that showed me an occupied and potentially dirty dwelling. faabala, i hope you dont do that. that is very disrespectful.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:35 AM

I just stated it is in our standard residential lease contract. I don't go to my rentals when folks are not home or without calling first.

If the property looks bad I won't show it. Luckily my tenants so far keep the houses nice. I treat my tenants like I want to be treated. I even do most of my service call in the evening when they are home.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:45 AM

This is straight from our standard NC REALTOR Residential Lease Contract.
If you have good tenant and a good relationship with them then showing an occupied rental is no different than showing an occupied For Sale house. The good tenant understands that they have given notice and the owner needs to get the place rented quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina