Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 06:35 PM

4,595 posts, read 6,422,669 times

Advertisements

Decent Republicans are acquiring an conscience about the direction of their Party.

Jason Thigpen, who is challenging Republican U.S. Rep. Walter Jones in the 3rd Congressional District, wrote a blistering assessment of his former party, saying his shift was precipitated by the tea party push for a government shutdown.

“I simply cannot stand with a party where its most extreme element promote hate and division amongst people,” Thigpen said in a statement posted to his campaign website Thursday. “Nothing about my platform has, nor will it change. The government shutdown was simply the straw that broke the camels back. I guess being an American just isn’t good enough anymore and I refuse to be part of an extremist movement in the GOP that only appears to thrive on fear and hate mongering of anyone and everyone who doesn’t walk their line.”

Read more here: GOP 'extremist movement' prompts NC candidate to switch to Democrat | Under the Dome Blog | NewsObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 07:03 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
Wow - good for him! Especially since he's from Wilmington. My time living in Wilmington is the reason most extremism I see in the news doesn't shock me. I saw it all there. Welcome him to the dems though it is a shame that he absolutely has no chance in his party without being tea party-aligned.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:38 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
He has an uphill fight against Walter Jones. He, and his father before him, are institutions in that district with parks carrying their name and everything. And his constituency, in general, aren't unhappy with him. That is unless the shutdown changed minds. His area is heavy military and he voted against the compromise re-starting the government.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:55 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,978,848 times
Jones himself is an ex-Democrat, and the GOP establishment never has liked him very much due to his opposition to Iraq as the war soured. But that made him popular with the families who remained behind, as servicepeople were deployed. He has a pretty secure seat.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:09 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Decent Republicans are acquiring an conscience about the direction of their Party.
I'm not sure how I feel about him wearing the Purple Heart pin in a campaign advertisement. Do you think he wears it to Food Lion too?

The Catholic Church is doing a bit of recruiting of Church of England priests because they are acquiring a conscience about the direction of their "party" too. Mainly, that homosexuality is a sin and (perhaps worse) the elevation of women in the church. And to be clear I'm betting they are going in the opposite direction than Mr. Thigpen is because they are willing to give up the Reformation in order to keep the gays at bay.

So in this case one side is willing to give up Pope while the other side is willing to embrace one. Like the poetry we enjoy from the time of ER I, Anglicanism once declared things Romish to be "[SIZE=2]is a fond thing, vainly invented, and grounded upon no warranty of Scripture, but rather repugnant to the Word of God."[/SIZE]

Strong words. But one side is willing to give all that up and switch from a relatively light hierarchy where there is no global head of the church to one where there is far more and of course has a central figure head that for most, dozens of years were spent rejecting. All based upon not liking the flavor of the thing they were so dead set for in order to avoid the thing that repulses them (women and homosexuality).

It seems to me that this may be self-serving but I get that impression mostly that dang pin. For me, I wouldn't trade my opinion on abortion based upon the fringe hate group of my political party. He either is morally more opposed to the Motorcycle Abortion bill than he is to abortion itself, or he never held a primary core belief of his party.

Why do you think he's decent?

Old 11-11-2013, 02:02 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,362 times
Since when is it extremist to ask that a law (the ACA) apply to everyone equally and not let the White House pick and choose whom it applies to? When the default stance from the White House was "we will not negotiate" what choice did they have?

True leadership requires compromise and none was forthcoming from the Executive branch. Of course, anything that does not align with the Progressive world view is labeled hateful and extremist in order to stifle debate. I'm not sure I would trust any elected official that is willing to compromise his or her principles (assuming they had any to begin with) in order to get votes.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:22 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Since when is it extremist to ask that a law (the ACA) apply to everyone equally and not let the White House pick and choose whom it applies to? When the default stance from the White House was "we will not negotiate" what choice did they have?

True leadership requires compromise and none was forthcoming from the Executive branch. Of course, anything that does not align with the Progressive world view is labeled hateful and extremist in order to stifle debate. I'm not sure I would trust any elected official that is willing to compromise his or her principles (assuming they had any to begin with) in order to get votes.
Agreed.

I think this guy switched parties simply because it was politically convenient for him, easier for him to win the D primary than the R, and he has been planning this for a while.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:04 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Agreed.

I think this guy switched parties simply because it was politically convenient for him, easier for him to win the D primary than the R, and he has been planning this for a while.

Haha, I suppose if "politically convenient" means "getting away from insane people", then you may be right.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:16 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Haha, I suppose if "politically convenient" means "getting away from insane people", then you may be right.
And thus my point is proven. All Progressives have is denigration, humiliation and ridicule. They are not interested in any sort of adult conversation.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:18 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,227,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Agreed.

Exactly. There's nothing noble about this move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: