U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 05:04 AM

20 posts, read 16,398 times

Advertisements

I am moving from D.C. to Florida and will be passing through Fayettsville. My question is if you only had to choose one restaurant in the area to eat at once in your life what would it be? I will probably be getting there around lunch time so take that into consideration. I am not picky and will try any kind of food so let it out. Please no listicles just list your one favorite and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 05:17 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,700,825 times
In Fayetteville? I'd skip it and go to:

Barbecue, Wilber's Barbecue Home

Old 11-06-2013, 05:27 AM

@ Sue: You are right, it does not have to be in Fayetteville, just close enough off the freeway to not be a total burden getting there (30 min each way). I'm also from the West so I'd be open minded to trying a 'special' East coast BBQ place.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:41 AM

11,271 posts, read 19,823,307 times
If you don't mind about 14 miles off the Interstate, Eddie's Cafe in Newton Grove gets good reviews in Our State magazine. It's a country place with great banana pudding for dessert.

Miss Maude's Cafe in Benson is not so far off the interstate and it's supposed to be similar.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:17 AM

10,698 posts, read 11,340,381 times
Fayetteville is not a tourist destination. It's home to pretty much every chain restaurant out there, so if you want an Olive Garden, Applebees, Ruby Tuesday's, McDonald's, Hardee's, Burger King, KFC, etc, they got you covered. Most people passing through and needing lunch would do a quick in and out of a fast food joint. If you _really_ want to stop there you could check out the Mash House (not near the interstate - only open for lunch on the weekends) or Huske Hardware House. Old-timers like the Haymont Grill, or you might just check out the Barbecue Hut or Smithfield's Chicken 'N Bar-B-Q (larger regional chain).

Lots and lots of other places to eat in NC than in Fayetteville. Raleigh and Durham have huge foodie scenes.

For BBQ you might want to take a detour through Wilson and go to Parker's or Bill's. I've never eaten at either, but they've both got fervent followers. Fayetteville folks do like the BBQ Hut if you just really need to stop at that point in your trip, but it doesn't make the true NC BBQ afficianados' trail lists like Wilber's, Parker's, and Bill's.

Last edited by poppydog; 11-06-2013 at 07:53 AM..

Old 11-06-2013, 07:43 AM

11,271 posts, read 19,823,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdahl7 View Post
I'm also from the West so I'd be open minded to trying a 'special' East coast BBQ place.
If it's convenient to stop in Wilson, I'd recommend Bill Elliot's Barbecue, which is a take-out place. It is a couple miles off the interstate.

Otherwise, there's the White Swan Barbecue in Benson. It has a corn-ball web site http://www.whiteswanbarbeque.com/ , and I haven't been there. However, it is probably a good representative of eastern North Carolina barbecue.

At any rate, my "once in a lifetime" place would be Eddie's Cafe.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:52 AM

10,698 posts, read 11,340,381 times
It's Bill Ellis, not Elliot, just to clarify.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:57 AM

130 posts, read 206,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
It's Bill Ellis, not Elliot, just to clarify.
And it has a sit down buffet as well!

Ralphs up in Roanoke Rapids is worth a stop for their fried chicken as well. Tastes like its got corn flakes in the batter!

Regards,

Dave

Old 11-06-2013, 11:21 AM

Thanks for all the great places to try!! I'll look up the restaurants before I head out in a week and see what fits into my departure, Wilson and some of the smaller cities look like they could definitely be a possibility.

@poppydog, I only Choose Fayettesville since, I have never been through NC, it would be the logical place for gas (about 300 miles away from the departure point), and when I arrive in the area around lunch time. I don't really have time to divert all the way Durham and it would be too soon for lunch sooner on the route (plus basic training taught me that cold BBQ/ Southern cooking is less desirebale)

Old 11-06-2013, 11:27 AM

1,518 posts, read 1,788,706 times
Joe's Crab Shack for me! It's the only one in the state and I've never had a bad meal there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina