U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,673 times

Advertisements

I will be driving from Atlanta to Cary Monday, leaving around 3pm. My take on the map is that I should take I85 to Greensboro, then South on 421 then East on 64 to Cary. Does anyone have any tips on traffic delays/times or shortcut suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!!

Kay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 05:08 PM

725 posts, read 1,300,201 times
I don't know about the first part but by the time you get to 421 it will be late and traffic there should be very light. It's a country highway (64 is well - although it does have some lights) and it will be dark. It's a nice trip and should be very light on traffic at that point. Leaving Atlanta at 3 puts you in Charlotte around 6 so I think that will be your trouble spot and am curious if anyone has an alternate route.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,516,698 times
Being Monday is a holiday, Charlotte rush hour will be minimal, particularly at 6 it maybe heavy in bottle neck areas at 77 and 85 and at Concord Mills .
IMO I find it crazy to go up to Hwy 421 to get on Hwy 64 to just head back down to Hwy 64.

Since you need Hwy 64 to get to Cary hop on Hwy 64 in Lexington NC at exit 96 towards Asheboro.
Google has it around the same time but shaves miles off the trip.
FYI Gas is around $2.92- $2.97 around Spartanburg SC

Old 11-08-2013, 06:25 PM

2,643 posts, read 6,070,702 times
The fastest route would be I-85 to I-40...no need to get on US 421.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:11 PM

725 posts, read 1,300,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Being Monday is a holiday
It may be a holiday but other than schools and state employees I don't think many people get the day off.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,516,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
It may be a holiday but other than schools and state employees I don't think many people get the day off.
Banks will also be closed so that going to cut out a lot of Uptown traffic . If Op leaves at 3, fills up for gas in SC by time he is in Charlotte it will be close to 7pm , traffic then a non issue.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:44 PM

10,639 posts, read 11,247,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
The fastest route would be I-85 to I-40...no need to get on US 421.
I agree. Not sure why google says 421 and 64. Seems weird.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:48 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,174,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I agree. Not sure why google says 421 and 64. Seems weird.
Sunny was correct. Get off 85 at Lexington and take 64 over. It will bring you around to the south/west side of Cary, which has less congestion. Unless the OP has a reason to need to go to the northern part, in which case 40 might work, but there are still arteries that will take you from the southern part to the northern part without having to deal with the snarl of traffic that is I-40.

Hitting 64 at Lexington, the road is two lanes for about 20 miles, lightly traveled. It's pretty straight as well. It becomes 4 lanes at Asheboro - a section that can be bad because 64 passes through the business section, with a lot of lights, but late at night, the place dies. Then, you are 4 lanes all the way to Cary. Watch your speed about 10 miles east of Asheboro, at Ramseur. I guess the people who make the rules in that area want you to get a good look at the town (dinky) because the speed slows to 35/45. At Siler City (where Aunt Bea from The Andy Griffith Show is buried ) it slows to 45 again, but you should get through there in 5-8 minutes. Btw, Siler City is where you'd come in on 421. If you need gas, I'd get it in Siler City. It just gets more expensive as you go east from there.

From Siler City, it's a breeze to Cary. The speed limit is supposed to be 55, but I regularly do 60 and am passed by other cars. It's all 4-lane, mostly divided. At Pittsboro (which is off to one side, you don't see anything but an exit) you have a 10 mile stretch on which, for some bizarre reason, you are allowed to do 65. Which means everyone does 70.

Once past the lake, you'll hit a couple of stoplights. I think that is just to control traffic that turns off onto a couple of side communities. It's typically after the lake that you start seeing traffic pick up. Though it'll probably be light. If you have to go north, I'd recommend 540. It's a toll road but, from what I've heard from people who use it, it operates on the camera system. You can also go north through Cary on 55 (next light after 540). If you get into Cary late at night, as it seems, that town is DEAD-DEAD-DEAD. Seriously. I thought it was just small, southern towns that rolled up the sidewalks at night, but after everyone gets home from work in Cary, I guess they stay inside and watch American Idol, or something.

It should take about 90 minutes to two hours to get to Cary from the Lexington exit. You can take 40, of course, but after driving from Atlanta, through Charlotte (*puke*), if you want a route that allows you to work the driving kinks out of your neck, I'd definitely recommend 64. I live in the Winston-Salem area and work part-time in Cary. The only thing that would get me to take I-40 is if a large caliber weapon was pointed at me. People drive like @ssholes on 40. No way

Old 11-09-2013, 07:45 AM

2,643 posts, read 6,070,702 times
^ That's a nice route if you just prefer to take the backroads, but it's not as fast as taking the interstate. There's a high likelihood that you'll get stuck behind a slowpoke on the two-lane section, the speed limit is 55 mph much of the way, and as you mentioned there are a number of traffic lights. There will be no snarl on I-40 at that time of the evening, and the interstate speed limits are 65+ mph the whole way.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:07 AM

5 posts, read 6,061 times
I think that will be your trouble spot and am curious if anyone has an alternate route.http://www.qmyksawayaa.com/06.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina