U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2013, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,502 times

Advertisements

We are a family of five who currently live in New York and are planning to move to North Carolina. I work in the hospital as a nurse assistant and my husband owns a landscaping company. I also have two older children who are in college. Im looking for advice in what town/ neighborhood where the houses are affordable. I also need to know where there is a better opportunity in work for both my husband and I. My husband wants to live closer towards beaches because his hobby is fishing so we don't want to be any farther then 20 minutes from a beach if it is possible, but our main reason why we want to move out of New York is because I want a better life for my son who is struggling a lot with himself due to his friends who influence him a lot to negative things instead of positive. I want him to have a fresh start and continue with his education.
Your input would be very appreciated and valuable towards my move to North Carolina. I'm simply looking for a better life for my family and myself.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 12:59 PM

11,251 posts, read 19,782,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprado69 View Post
My husband wants to live closer towards beaches because his hobby is fishing so we don't want to be any farther then 20 minutes from a beach if it is possible, but our main reason why we want to move out of New York is because I want a better life for my son who is struggling a lot with himself due to his friends who influence him a lot to negative things instead of positive. I want him to have a fresh start and continue with his education.
If you are interested in being near the beaches, I suggest starting by reading the many postings in the Coastal North Carolina sub-forum. All of the coastal counties have at least one hospital. Jobs are not easy to find, even for experienced nurses. For the husband's landscaping business, I think there would be many opportunities in the counties where growth is occurring: Brunswick, Pender, New Hanover, Onslow, Craven, Dare, etc. We live in a development in Onslow County where new houses all get turf grass and at least a minimum of trees and bushes.

As far as your son's life, there is no magic bullet in moving to North Carolina. There are plenty of drugs around, and plenty of local kids in trouble with the law. I wish you luck, but I suggest that finding jobs for yourselves is the first priority.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-16-2013 at 01:14 PM..

Old 11-17-2013, 12:06 AM

10,401 posts, read 19,420,530 times
Quote:
We are a family of five who currently live in New York and are planning to move to North Carolina. I work in the hospital as a nurse assistant and my husband owns a landscaping company. I also have two older children who are in college. Im looking for advice in what town/ neighborhood where the houses are affordable. I also need to know where there is a better opportunity in work for both my husband and I. My husband wants to live closer towards beaches because his hobby is fishing so we don't want to be any farther then 20 minutes from a beach if it is possible, but our main reason why we want to move out of New York is because I want a better life for my son who is struggling a lot with himself due to his friends who influence him a lot to negative things instead of positive. I want him to have a fresh start and continue with his education.
Your input would be very appreciated and valuable towards my move to North Carolina. I'm simply looking for a better life for my family and myself.
Thank you.
I presume you know NC's unemployment rate is among the higest in the US--have you taken this into account and looked at other states, as well? There is no way someone can simply give you the name of a town and say "move there", until you are certain at least one of you would find work. NC is on EVERYBODY's "let's move there!" list right now which has completely flooded the job market with applicants. Good for employers, not so good for job-seekers, especially those with no knowledge of the area nor local contacts to network.

To be 20 miles from beaches in North Carolina puts you in very rural areas, for the most part, or in "resort" areas where housing is expensive. Only the small city of Wilmington is near the coast as far as substantially populated areas. Have you looked at a map of NC? If you want more opportunity, you might try states like SC and VA which have larger metro areas on the coast. Cost of living is lower in SC, plus you have Myrtle Beach and Charleston that are RIGHT on the coast; further down is Savannah, Ga.

If you're bound and determined that for whatever reason, only NC will do, the Coastal forum is a better place to ask than the general NC board--but you really need to plan a visit first to look around before making a decision that you're moving somewhere, especlailly with no job in the bag. Good luck.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:27 AM

11,251 posts, read 19,782,454 times
Quote:
I work in the hospital as a nurse assistant and my husband owns a landscaping company. I also have two older children who are in college. Im looking for advice in what town/ neighborhood where the houses are affordable.
I'd suggest reading some of the discussions on Havelock, especially the perspective of macjr82 . See if you feel your family would fit in. Band, football and junior ROTC are big. It is a large cultural change from New York.

Also read about the job search difficulty in the second thread. Havelock is just an example of small own coastal life, and there may be better job opportunities elsewhere, like Jacksonville and Wilmington.

Once you identify whether moving is feasible, hold some calm family discussions and see how your children feel. I have a gut feeling the HS age son will be resentful about the idea.

Havelock or not?

Recently Relocated from Long Island to Havelock and Job Searching

Old 11-19-2013, 11:03 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,357,134 times
I'm not going to be as negative as some...reason being is that your family seems to be a pretty good fit for ENC.

Your husband owns a landscaping company...you are in the medical industry. You have children and want a slowed down pace. Your husband loves fishing.

Well...ENC is rapidly developing, especially close to the coast (where you say you want to be). Many of the folks moving in are retiree's...that pay someone else to landscape their yard. And they need health care.

I do agree that the kids may not like the idea. Only Wilmington and Greenville (and Greenville is further from the coast, although its only 20 minutes from the Washington waterfront) are really appealing to teenagers, although there are other communities that are perfectly fine.

I would suggest Greenville (or neighboring Winterville) if you are looking for affordable options...Vidant is continually hiring, its a growing community (landscapers) and is 20 minutes from Fishing on the Pamlico...and if he enjoys deep sea fishing, you can go either towards Manteo or Atlantic Beach from there in less than 2 hours. Your prospects will be tougher in the Wilmington area (more competitive for work) and it is less affordable. Hampstead would be your best bet if you were heading toward Wilmington...Brunswick Co is just a bit too rural and retiree for the kids, IMO.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:08 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,552,990 times
Keep in mind though, that many ENC job opportunities are obtained through networking with other locals. The university in Greenville (ECU) is churning out a lot of nurses / nurses assistants and those who have connections have priority for work with Vidant. There are also alot of landscaping businesses (or "bidness" as they say around here) as well, so I'm not sure about the competition there.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,502 times
Thank you all for the advice and comments. I will keep it in mind and look into the places that have been named. I will also take a trip down there first to get to know the area and make sure its a perfect fit for my family and I.
Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or