U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2007, 05:42 PM

4 posts, read 13,699 times

Advertisements

A frequent request I see from folks is for recommendations of a small town in which to relocate in North Carolina, especially for those with children. I'm a North Carolina native (as are all my families for the past 250+/- years). Having traveled across NC throughout my life, having met folks from across NC, and having lived, worked, and gone to school at various places across NC, below are where I would move to if I were picking a place in North Carolina. (I live in NC, but not in one of the following places)...

Bertie County, Coastal Plain
Brevard, Transylvania County, Mountains
Coumbia, Tyrrell County, Coastal Plain
Duplin County, Coastal Plain
Hyde County, Coastal Plain
Martin County, Coastal Plain
Mount Airy, Surry County, Mountains/Piedmont
Mount Gilead, Montgomery County (western portion), Piedmont/Uwharries
Seagrove, Randolph (southern portion), Piedmont/Uwharries
Waynesville, Haywood County, Mountains

(Try W3 searching the places above for more information)

There are several other places I would recommend, but such are very rural and might not be the easiest relocation experience (because of the very rural nature).

Though most all of NC is growing - some areas very rapidly - the Piedmont region and the Coastline are growing the fastest. If you move to those areas, you are far more likely to experience the "constant pains" of growing areas and probably will not turn out to be a "true small community experience" for you or your children. So, the places above are not hot spots for young singles or retirees, which is one reason these places are well suited for folks raising kids and those looking to put down roots.

And, if you do relocate, please - be a good neighbor to your neighbors (that includes smiling and waving at folks you haven't yet met).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 03:47 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,699,827 times
Displaced Highlander:

Partly quoting your recent post...

"...And, if you do relocate, please - be a good neighbor to your neighbors (that includes smiling and waving at folks you haven't yet met). "

Great advice. When we relocated here over 10 years ago one of the first things that impressed us was the fact that everyone waved, especially when in the rural areas. Now that we live in a very rural area we wave at everyone that passes by us when at home and on the roads. Reminds us of the days when everyone knew everyone else..

Old 01-09-2010, 10:06 PM

9 posts, read 32,365 times
I'm from Mount Gilead, and parts of it, aren't bad, Woodrun I hear is nice, and I love my grandma's place there, but there are no jobs. Montgomery County has the highest unemployement rate in the state. and Mt. Gilead as small as it is has a high crime/Gang rate. I guess the kids have nothing better to do, on the other hand, Montgomery Community College is one of the best in the states. They have a awesome Gunsmithing program. Try Carthage, NC it's close to Mt. Gilead, but a whole lot nicer.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,423 times
I am from california moving to mount gilead and it is moving along nice

Old 03-18-2012, 09:29 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,129,826 times
Out of the places you listed, based on my experiences (on which Western NC is excluded) I can recommend Northern Duplin County. That is Mount Olive, Calypso, and Faison. N. Duplin Elementary and Middle/High School might as well be a private school, the way it is run. The students know each other from elementary through high. Most of the teachers and faculty are returned students, invested, and the academics are above par. Community is very welcoming.

On a side note, Duplin County Schools tried to close N. Duplin Jr/Sr High a couple of years ago to put it's overachieving population in an underachieving school elsewhere in the county, but the community successfully fought against it. This fight may happen again in the future.

I would not recommend any of the other coastal plain counties you listed if you have school age children.
I'd replace them with Craven and Carteret. Pitt, Pender, and Washington for certain areas and if you're an involved parent.

You say you'd recommend others, but they are very rural, what is non-rural about Bertie, Hyde, Tyrell or Martin County? I could maybe possibly see retiring there, or even living there independently without school age children.

Edit: I know for a fact there are great people in the counties I'm arguing against, but objectively I don't think they are the best choices for those with kids. Having a co-worker that deals intimately with kids from that area (and my brothers ex, who is still a family friend teaches at one of the high schools), I'd the say the youth is conversely cruel to outsiders as they and the community at large is cordial to adults and the academics en masse is sub par.

Last edited by macjr82; 03-18-2012 at 09:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina