U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 03:51 PM

7 posts, read 7,253 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Just joined this forum today! I'm 61, retired from 28 years in the Army and ready to retire at 62 to somewhere warmer than Montana! LOL I was wondering if I could get a little guidance from some of you fine NC folks on a decent place to move to? I'm looking for rural, low-cost housing, maybe a 1/2 acre minimum in a SMALL (say again SMALL) town central or Eastern NC. There's lots of factors that will bear upon where my wife and I end up, but I thought I'd start here and see what info pops up. If you are particularly proud of your town, speak up! I'm coming from a town of 900 people and love it here, except like now when the high today was 3 degrees, and the low was -8 BRRR. I'm over six month winters, let me tell you, LOL Anyways, thanks for reading and I hope to hear from some of you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 04:12 PM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,805,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dskill0818 View Post
Hi everyone. Just joined this forum today! I'm 61, retired from 28 years in the Army and ready to retire at 62 to somewhere warmer than Montana! LOL I was wondering if I could get a little guidance from some of you fine NC folks on a decent place to move to? I'm looking for rural, low-cost housing, maybe a 1/2 acre minimum in a SMALL (say again SMALL) town central or Eastern NC. There's lots of factors that will bear upon where my wife and I end up, but I thought I'd start here and see what info pops up. If you are particularly proud of your town, speak up! I'm coming from a town of 900 people and love it here, except like now when the high today was 3 degrees, and the low was -8 BRRR. I'm over six month winters, let me tell you, LOL Anyways, thanks for reading and I hope to hear from some of you all!
You can't beat the Sandhills of NC for retirement. Many former Ft Bragg retirees live in this area.
In my neighborhood of 1,000 people we have a lot of retired former military personnel.
Tomorrow it's supposed to be 75 but the next day a drastic drop to 50.

We moved here from the cold Northeast three years ago and even though I brought a snow shovel just in case, I still have not used it.

http://www.sandhillsnc.com/
Sandhills NC History

Last edited by PDD; 12-04-2013 at 04:24 PM..

Old 12-04-2013, 04:40 PM

Hello PDD,
Thanks for the info! One of the things we'd like to avail ourselves of are the military benefits for retirees. The closest PX/commissary here is about a three hour drive. I want to travel travel travel. Have done a lot of Space A travel in the past, but time do much more now! I'm not real excited about dealing with the occasional hurricane, as one thing I will say about the weather here in Montana, it is NEVER the killer variety (unless you're not prepared for the cold!). Thanks again for posting and I hope to see more soon!
Doug

Old 12-04-2013, 05:19 PM
PDD

Quote:
Hello PDD,
Thanks for the info! One of the things we'd like to avail ourselves of are the military benefits for retirees. The closest PX/commissary here is about a three hour drive. I want to travel travel travel. Have done a lot of Space A travel in the past, but time do much more now! I'm not real excited about dealing with the occasional hurricane, as one thing I will say about the weather here in Montana, it is NEVER the killer variety (unless you're not prepared for the cold!). Thanks again for posting and I hope to see more soon!
Doug
Ft Bragg PX is probably 20-45 min from most areas of the Sandhills. Some of my neighbors go the the PX weekly.
We are 2.5 hrs from the ocean so little hurricane worry's. As far as travel we are 1.5 hrs from RDU which is the closest airport.
If you don't mind rail travel we have an Amtrak station in Southern Pines which handles the NY to Florida trains.
We are halfway between the mountains in Asheville and the Ocean in Myrtle Beach, SC

Best thing you could do is come for a visit for a week or so and check out the area.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:44 AM

1,964 posts, read 2,537,238 times
Maybe the OP can elaborate on what characteristics of small towns he likes and some of the folks here can provide more guidance. Not all ENC towns are created equal. Many of them are also included on the worst towns in NC thread...

Old 12-05-2013, 05:43 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Maybe the OP can elaborate on what characteristics of small towns he likes and some of the folks here can provide more guidance. Not all ENC towns are created equal. Many of them are also included on the worst towns in NC thread...
Your are right he should be warned about Fayetteville and surrounding towns.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the heads up! Where we live now (Ennis, MT) year round population is about 900 (we took the Class C, 8-man football state championships this year! - My youngest son was on the team!) We drive about 70 minutes to a Wal-Mart & Costco. It's 60 miles to the freeway. I've always thought I'd like to learn how to lake fish, so maybe being near a lake or two would be nice. As far as what we're looking for in a small town... I learned fast in the Army that any place is pretty much what you make of it. No where is perfect. Like most anyone, we would prefer a low crime area (I cannot tell you where the keys are to my house and I have a 11 year old truck that i'm not sure I've removed the keys from the ignition in town or at the house.) We are both members of Lions Club and my wife enjoys attending church. I'm mostly interested in getting out of the cold and being close enough to a military airfield to enjoy a Space A hop now and then The reason we are looking at NC is my wife has cousin in NC and family in central PA. Thanks again for the interest in my query!

Old 12-05-2013, 11:43 AM

I'd like to plan a week or 10 days this summer to get down there. My son is applying to West Point, so when (NOT if) he gets accepted, then no worries needing a job while he's in college. LOL Then I can get serious about a time line and finding a place to buy!

Old 12-05-2013, 01:13 PM

11,225 posts, read 19,670,603 times
Quote:
Like most anyone, we would prefer a low crime area (I cannot tell you where the keys are to my house and I have a 11 year old truck that i'm not sure I've removed the keys from the ignition in town or at the house.)
I would never recommend not locking your house in North Carolina. We live in a small town of 5,000 and there are too many druggies, construction workers, etc, who are looking for something easy to steal. Copper wire is a good target here.

At any rate, I'd suggest an area like Troy, NC in Montgomery County. It is near the Uwharrie National Forest and Badin Lake. It has good fishing and outdoor areas, yet it is close enough to Fort Bragg (1 hour 20 minutes) that you could drive to a base exchange or the VA Hospital in Fayetteville. It is also close enough to the Sand Hills that you could golf.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:41 PM

28 posts, read 44,375 times
The problem is that NC will tax his army retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or