U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 10:05 PM

4 posts, read 10,094 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move to north carolina with my best friend. We are both 20 years old and just looking for somewhere to start our lives and we've always wanted to move south. We are looking to move to either Raleigh or Charlotte. We are young and single. Therefore we are looking to have fun, so which place has more to do? What are the differences between the two? Any information is appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 03:45 AM

11,224 posts, read 19,670,603 times
If you are interested in major league sports, Charlotte has more of that. Charlotte is also closer to the NASCAR tracks. Raleigh is a very family-oriented place, but it has a downtown with entertainment and nightclubs. College sports are considered major interests in both places. I agree with RR that neither city is on par with the larger cities.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:58 AM

10,622 posts, read 11,204,862 times
I don't think college sports are a big thing in Charlotte unless they're following the Triangle college teams. UNC-C and Davidson have teams, but they don't have the following that NCSU, UNC, and Duke do.

The Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) is very college oriented in the early 20s age bracket so most of your peers would probably be students at UNC, NC State, Duke, NCCU, etc (several other smaller colleges in the area).

If you really want to move South, you might like Atlanta, but no harm coming down to NC and checking the areas out.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:19 AM

4 posts, read 10,094 times
Default Raleigh or Charlotte NC?

I'm planning to move to north carolina with my best friend. We are from Maryland and it is so expensive to live in our area and you don't get much for what you pay. We are both 20 years old and just looking for somewhere to start our lives and we've always wanted to move south. We are looking to move to either Raleigh or Charlotte. We are young and single. Therefore we are looking to have fun, so which place has more to do? Which one has more nightlife/what kind of night life is there? What are the differences between the two? Any information is appreciated!

Old 12-07-2013, 03:48 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,866,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northcarolinabound456 View Post
I'm planning to move to north carolina with my best friend. We are from Maryland and it is so expensive to live in our area and you don't get much for what you pay. We are both 20 years old and just looking for somewhere to start our lives and we've always wanted to move south. We are looking to move to either Raleigh or Charlotte. We are young and single. Therefore we are looking to have fun, so which place has more to do? Which one has more nightlife/what kind of night life is there? What are the differences between the two? Any information is appreciated!
Charlotte.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:28 PM

2,387 posts, read 3,331,209 times
Charlotte

Old 12-08-2013, 06:53 AM

3,737 posts, read 3,262,267 times
Charlotte.

But you're not going to have fun without finances in order... That said, what jobs do y'all have

Old 12-08-2013, 11:13 AM

774 posts, read 1,610,505 times
Default Slow your roll

@northcarolinabound456 ....

I have to agree with what others have said ... what about your job!?!
There's an old saying: "Attach your happiness to goals, NOT to people. With the right goals, the right people will materialize."

I'd like to share with you some hard lessons ... because I'm 60 and have learned what most people on this board have learned:

Misery likes company wherever you are. You're really not going anywhere ... regardless if you move to Las Vegas, New York, Iowa, or North Carolina ... people are operating under the same issues everywhere. Some issues may be closer to the surface in one place more than what they are in another... but the same, "Attachment Issues" ("if you weren't in my clique in the 3rd grade, then I'm not bonded with you and therefore I'm free to be rude and mean to you") are extremely huge everywhere today.

You want to have fun? This here is the Bible Belt. It's also the Eastern Seaboard. That means that while there are people here with the social consciousness they bring from Brooklyn, the container is about "control and shame." A lot of people like to pull you down so they can temporarily feel "better-than" because it's the crab barrel that was developed in during the Norman Conquest.

Fun? What kind of, "Fun?"
Night clubs?
At 20 years old, you may not have learned that it's empty up in there. If you're moving anywhere just in search of, "self-soothing" ... through the illusion of booze served in night clubs ... then you're already on fire and you can save yourself some misery and money by just staying where you are because it's NO FUN to be broke anywhere... especially in the South.

My friend... we don't lose our adolescence until we're 30. Most people continue their adolescent thinking into their 40s ... and some until the day they die. That's a painful path... a very painful path.

What are your priorities?

If you move anywhere, that means you have the opportunity to reinvent yourself. Will you just reinvent the same unhappy lifestyle you had in Maryland ... or will you use it to open new doors of adventure?

There are a lot of colleges and universities here.

You can challenge yourself and party with people who are in the process of actualizing themselves and going someplace in life. Partying with dead beats is just going to bring you trouble and misery... regardless where you live.

Oh ... and yes, the housing IS cheaper here ... but that means if you move into an area where you don't need a job to make the rent ... then your neighbors are going to be people who don't need a job to pay the rent ... and they're killing and robing -- EVERYWHERE on the planet.

Do you have a safety net?

If you're a young woman who feels she's cute enough to always find a man to work ... then good luck. THAT is a painful path ... and you might as well find a street corner in DC where there's more money passing than to come down here and get brutalized. If I pissed you off then good ... because life ain't no joke and it ain't all about having, "fun." (And if you're a guy, the South has some of the worst jails and prisons in the U.S. Going to one young will defeat you before you even have a chance to get out of the chute.)

Transformation of your heart ... learning intimacy ... long term relationships ... actualizing your goals through facing your fears and developing your talents ... looking at who you want to be as an adult. That's what it's all about. You're in that 19-to-25 demographic-- and by all reports, that age group may have it the worst. I'd say plan for a skill ... especially one that's LEGAL and that you can sell to the rich. (Not your soul .. the goods and services you supply ... and NOT your body.)

Think about doing something different. If everyone is trying to stand in the same old lines, then there's too many people ahead of you. A college degree isn't even a "ticket" anymore. A TRADE ... a technical skill is better. What is in either area that is in line with what you offer?

"The BEST men fall" ... because "life ... got wood for your behind" ... if you do not listen to good, caring advice and everyone keeps asking... "what about your JOB?"

I'm telling you these things because of the red flags I see and I don't want anyone to suffer some of the crashes and dead ends I've had to go through. Good luck young friend.

Last edited by veganwriter; 12-08-2013 at 11:22 AM..

Old 12-10-2013, 12:32 PM

10,389 posts, read 19,348,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northcarolinabound456 View Post
It sounds like you have never even visited either of these cities that you are staking your move on? Never a good idea--come down for a long weekend or two trips, and visit each city and get the "vibe" in each one.

Then go back and apply for jobs in that area, and don't move until you get one. NC is one of the more unfriendly states to the unemployed.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:28 AM

2 posts, read 4,676 times
I'd moved from Baltimore 2 years ago to NC and I kinda wished I stayed. I love the south because I have family in the south but the hospitality is a big bowl of snail soup that sits out...cold and slimy. Charlotte is known to have scam realtors. Before you sign any lease, check with the BBB to find out if there are complaints with a leasing company. You will find several so it will be a matter of preference. I can't comment on fun but a previous post hit it on the head. You will find trouble everywhere. What I have noticed is in the south you must be more careful due to people here being able to smile all the while scamming you. I think southerners who scam have been trained to present themselves as nice and helpful...those are the ones you must keep your eye on. You have to use the basic common sense to shake hands firmly, don't show your teeth much when communicating, and don't be desperate and afraid to say NO even if you want something. People respond better to those who act as if a need isn't strong

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina