Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 09:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

The Environmental Protection Agency's decision to label giant reed Arundo donax a renewable fuel clears the way for Chemtex to build an ethanol refinery near Clinton. Arundo, which produces three times as much ethanol per acre as corn, is controversial because some consider it an invasive species that could harm the state's biodiversity.

It is fast-growing, even in poor soil, and contains high amounts of energy when converted to fuel.
Arundo Donax generates less greenhouse gas emissions, uses less land and water than other bio-energy plants, is drought-resistant, and is able to grow even in poor soil,” Hagan’s statement said. “Unlike first generation ethanol derived from corn, cellulosic biofuel will not impact food or feed prices.

I see this is a good thing despite the fact I hate ethanol as I have to periodically use a detergent or try to find a ethanol free station. Ill share a link for those wanting one below.
Anything to bring down corn and feed prices I am for it. Plus states with refineries gas prices are lower.

From Google images it looks pretty at full bloom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 10:09 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
We need to either poop or get off the pot on alternative energy.

Nothing is perfect. Way too many analyses compare energy alternatives to perfect.

Nothing is ever gonna beat perfect, but we keep trying.

Ethanol is yet another perfect example of the Law of Unintended Consequences, that seems to infect EVERY FEDERAL PROGRAM. Make fuel from corn and drive the price of meat through the ceiling. Too bad kudzu does not yield efficient energy. We would make the Emirates look like paupers!

Keep on keepin on

Old 07-06-2013, 10:17 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The Environmental Protection Agency's decision to label giant reed Arundo donax a renewable fuel clears the way for Chemtex to build an ethanol refinery near Clinton.
Arundo, which produces three times as much ethanol per acre as corn, is controversial because some consider it an invasive species that could harm the state's biodiversity.
hemp for ethanol fuel would do all that even better.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:45 AM

True lol, but hemp is regulated I thought the same LLN on Kudzo.
I think Arundo will be great for the coastal plain farmer. Im glad they are at least testing how the plant reacts to NC climate in Oxford before initiating full production.
I hope this is a green light for NC to get more refineries, there plenty of rural land that it wont bother nobody.

I always knew when ethanol produced the price of corn which is a commodity would ski rocket.
Ethanol is a weak performing fuel and it leaves a resin after its burned.

I forgot to post the link to find ethanol free gas stations. This link shows where one in most cities in North Carolina. Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-06-2013 at 01:07 PM..

Old 07-06-2013, 12:51 PM

910 posts, read 1,319,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
hemp for ethanol fuel would do all that even better.
And without the monoculture issues arundo presents.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:29 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
We'd be better off with biodiesel produced from waste vegetable oil, rather than ethanol IMO, but I'm for more alternative energy, too, so I'll give it my tentative thumbs up.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:43 AM

910 posts, read 1,319,124 times
That's why hemp as a biodiesel feedstock would be one of the best choices; it's way more conversion-efficient than most other industrial crops. Plus it grows ridiculously well in Eastern NC soil, and pretty well just about everywhere else in the state.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:28 AM

Italian developer Biochemtex plans to open a biofuel refinery near Clinton in Sampson County, about 65 miles southeast of Raleigh, creating 65 jobs there.
The plant, which is scheduled to begin production in 2016, will make ethanol from wild grasses and other crops.

Biochemtex picked Sampson County for the facility because of its proximity to farmers with low-yield land who can produce 300,000 tons a year of sorghum, switchgrass, wood chips, and Arundo donax, a giant reed.
The crops are to be converted into 20 million gallons of ethanol annually.

The company plans to contract with 30 to 40 farmers to grow the crops, but it has not yet signed contracts to grow Arundo donax, which is expected to account for about 20 percent of the Clinton plant’s fuel source.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:28 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
This is a positive story for the State. I do not think there are any refineries (petro. in NC). This end product will need to be shipped. I belive most Gas and diesel come from the Gulf coast via pipeline.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:32 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
This is a positive story for the State. I do not think there are any refineries (petro. in NC). This end product will need to be shipped. I belive most Gas and diesel come from the Gulf coast via pipeline.
The gas and diesel in Charlotte is piped in from the gulf on the colonial or plantation pipelines.
The ethanol comes from Iowa in rail cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina