Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 05:16 PM

42 posts, read 118,843 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been searching for a relocation destination and so far Southern Pines and Pinehurst have caught our eye. (Aiken in SC is also on our minds).
We didn't have a huge amount of time to explore the area, but we were lucky enough to participate in a barn tour on a Saturday and were shown around the area by a realtor on Sunday (this was in October). The area was beautiful and we couldn't help but be reminded of our home town in New Jersey (yes, that's a good thing ) .

Some info on us:
We are a younger couple- in our 30's- with one child
Interests are horses (ride english) and golf
House budget starts around $650,000 and we would like a place with room for horses.
Husband wants to pursue a career with golf.
We currently are, and have been, residents of Central Florida for 10 years.
The Southern Pines/Pinehurst area seemed like a natural fit for us, but we were only there for 2 days.

So now I want to know the "real" Southern Pines/Pinehurst area. Is the area full of retirees or are there families there? What is the area like with having Fort Bragg there? Crime? Give me all the dirt!

If you know of another area that we should look at instead, please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 08:03 PM

123 posts, read 511,628 times
Horses and golf? Moore County is THE place for you. The local paper is The Pilot. In it you can go to news and read all about the huge problems facing the area. A candlelight vigil held for a tree that was cut down.
So the answer to the question of crime is: yes, we have DUI's, assaults, etc. But in fewer instances than a city of the same size.
Christmas, halloween, Easter decorations are not vandalized. No car-jacking. Drive by shootings (some traffic signs in the boonies, of course). There are "pine straw rustlers"! These are desperados who come onto your property, rake up your pine straw, and then carry it off to sell it!! Beware!! They are armed with rakes!!!

Young families: Yep! We got em! And more moving in every day, school bonds just passed, so more new schools to accomodate. Your child will not lack friends! Or after school activities.

Try looking at 7 lakes or Mclendon Hills. Mclendon hills is an equine community and 7 lakes has 2 golf courses, 7 lakes (duh), stables, and tennis courts.

Ft. Bragg is a "non issue" in this part of the county. There is one strip club, 1 tatoo parlor, and one VERY discreet "adult store". None of which is intended for the military.

Since you were here and got a small look around I doubt I'm giving you any new info.
But if I can help in the future, please let me know.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:19 AM

Thank you Havin Fun!
Your information was actually very helpful.
The first place we saw when we were driving into the Pinehurst area was McLendon Hills. We drove through it and said, yes- we can live here. Then as we proceeded into Pinehurst...and then Southern Pines, I started to fall in love with the area.
Recently, we mentioned to our neighbor that we were thinking about moving to that area and he right away said- "You don't want to move there." Apparently, around 8 years ago, he had been a resident of Pinehurst for 10 years. He said that the area was comprised of retirees, and worse, retirees that were determined to change the small town feel of Pinehurst. Also the area was full of New Jersey transplants. (Being from New Jersey myself, I wasn't sure if this was a good thing or a bad thing ). To get to anywhere- shopping or nice dining- you had to travel over an hour to get somewhere. Obviously he was not happy with the area and moved here...where I am trying to get out of.

Havin Fun, you described the area as I imagined it was.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:09 AM

420 posts, read 1,535,051 times
Given your interests and housing income, I think you could have a fine time in Southern Pines!

We also know a number of folks with kids and families who love the area. On the horse side of matters, there are a number of very good clinicians and trainers in the area plus a goodly amount of competitions (I'm thinking dressage + eventing, but the Raleigh fairgrounds is not far away + hosts a number of hunter-jumper competitions) Plus there is the Moss Foundation for trail riding + foxhunting. It's interesting that you are from NJ---in some ways, the area reminds me of the Medford/Pine Barrens area east of Philly.

BTW, if you all are into hunting, Fort Bragg is a great place to go. It is beautiful and has some of the best public hunting in the state (special permit is required). The less attractive side of base less is more evident on the Fayetteville/Spring Lake side of the base than the Aberdeen/Southern Pines side. We enjoy going to the sandhills with bird dogs, horses and just to spend time in the area. One day I want to live there!

Old 11-27-2007, 09:27 AM

123 posts, read 511,628 times
Well it seems this areas loss is Floridas gain. Change comes to every area. The retirees (I'm 58 and retired) are making room for young families. My step-daughter and her 2 young daughters live across the street from us. About 8 yrs. ago stores started moving into the area Best Buy, Fresh Market, Starbucks, Outback, etc. It did not ruin the "small town feel" but enhanced it. These stores are NOT located intrusively into a community. They are all located in the same "commercial" area. As for getting a good meal? We all have our favorite restaurants and there are plenty to choose from.
I chose not to live in Pinehurst because of people like your neighbor. (and there are some like him in PH).
Come on up and rent for awhile. Take a look around and then decide which area is best for you. There is a listing at Front Gate that might appeal to you (I think it's still listed). Large home, guest house, 5/6 acres (horses allowed) near good schools. I'm not in real estate but this seems to be what you might be looking for.
And for your husband? 42 golf courses (in just Moore County) with another just started and 2 in the planning stages. And of course, tournaments galore.

Again, if I can be of any help, let me know.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:06 AM

I did see the commercial area...and thought it was great. It makes sense, when you say they started building about 8 years ago, why my neighbor said there was nothing around the town--since he left around that time.

We are at the point in our lives where we can move at any time. The hard part will be leaving our house and our friends, but we know that this area is not where we want to raise our child. We originally moved here for business reasons, but that is not an issue anymore. The hardest part of leaving for me is leaving the current barn that I am affiliated with. I have been with them for 9 years and we have become like family.

I am looking forward to making another trip up there to explore even more.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:25 PM

7 posts, read 49,392 times
Default What's it like to belong to Pinehurst CC

My wife and I are contemplating buying a home in the Village of Pinehurst and retiring there in about 5 years. We are members of a country club in southern New Jersey. Most of our social life revolves around friends that we have met over the last 10-15 years at our golf club. We are looking at a home that includes the transfer of membership into Pinehurst CC numbers 1-6. My question is---Will the same thing happen at Pinehurst that happened at our club in NJ. Are there enough local members that we will become friends with to fill our social needs. Since the guest golf part of the resort is so large--I assume somewhere around a thousand guests will be playing golf everyday--is there any sense of community at the club? Any input would be appreciated.--tks--cw

Old 11-28-2007, 03:22 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,649,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwgolfman View Post
My wife and I are contemplating buying a home in the Village of Pinehurst and retiring there in about 5 years. We are members of a country club in southern New Jersey. Most of our social life revolves around friends that we have met over the last 10-15 years at our golf club. We are looking at a home that includes the transfer of membership into Pinehurst CC numbers 1-6. My question is---Will the same thing happen at Pinehurst that happened at our club in NJ. Are there enough local members that we will become friends with to fill our social needs. Since the guest golf part of the resort is so large--I assume somewhere around a thousand guests will be playing golf everyday--is there any sense of community at the club? Any input would be appreciated.--tks--cw
Lots of retired northerners in the Pinehurst area, so it should be right up your alley. I believe you can get a golf membership at Pinehurst courses 1-6 as long as you own property in the town of Pinehurst. Even if you own vacant land or unbuildable land you can, as long as you own some sort of property in Pinehurst...unless it has changed in the last few years.

The golf courses are incredible and it is the place to be if you want to live around golf. The other public courses are also great, so you can't go wrong.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:30 PM

6 posts, read 23,187 times
Default Equitate, did you move to Southern Pines?

Equitate, my husband and I are in a similar position. We will be relocating to the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area from Michigan with our three young kids and wondered about the area. Did you move? If so how has your experience been with your family, kids activities, schools, neighborhood? I'm a bit stressed about this move (having never been to the area and looking at 2' of snow right now). Feel like sharing your thoughts on the area?

Old 01-28-2011, 04:25 PM

I will send you a PM, but no, we did not move yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina