U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:59 AM

10,389 posts, read 19,358,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulupie View Post
I am pretty discourages about everything I have read about NC's treatment of teacher. Making 30k a year is also not enough, even though the housing is chearp - I think it would still be hard to survive. I also want to be somewhere where teachers are respects - because it is alot of work! Another year of being treated like crap I may give up on teaching. That being said, now I am considering the Norfolk/VB area. I looked up at the teachers starting salary in Norfolk is 49k a year, and I believe I could get a place between 6-800 a moth. Does anyone having comments or experience with the Norfolk/VB area. NJ is still cold and I don't know if I would get housing that much cheaper than in Brooklyn. I want somewhere cheaper with a warmer climate.
You'd want to post in the VA boards about Norflok. Since your only criteria is "a warmer climate", you're really asking a multi-state question. You might want to post on the Work and Employment board or maybe Education, where people can compare various states and their salaries. Unfortunately NC is bad news right now for teachers and not somewhere you would move to teach unless you had to. Lots of states are warmer than where you are, that also respect their teachers more. Try those other forums (under the general City-Data forums).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 12:06 PM

30 posts, read 34,635 times
LLN, your daughter is 100% correct. NY is a food paradise! In my old NY neighborhood, I had access to 5 supermarkets within three miles of where I lived, and tons of small food stores. The competition is what makes food so cheap in NY--there's also so much variety!

Having said that...I'd just to respond to this discussion by adding that one shouldn't go into teaching for the money because if you do, you will soon be changing jobs. Teaching is not an easy job and NEVER will Be. I've been there...done that! The students are great--it's the system and lack of respect that stinks!

Old 01-03-2014, 01:25 PM

8 posts, read 16,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGaL View Post
LLN, your daughter is 100% correct. NY is a food paradise! In my old NY neighborhood, I had access to 5 supermarkets within three miles of where I lived, and tons of small food stores. The competition is what makes food so cheap in NY--there's also so much variety!

Having said that...I'd just to respond to this discussion by adding that one shouldn't go into teaching for the money because if you do, you will soon be changing jobs. Teaching is not an easy job and NEVER will Be. I've been there...done that! The students are great--it's the system and lack of respect that stinks!
Yes, making 51k a year in NYC is still not sufficient enough for my living expenses. I definitely did not choose to be a teacher for the money! I just would like to live somewhere that I will make somewhat decent pay to support my living expenses. I would not like to move to NC and have to get another job.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:27 PM

8 posts, read 16,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You'd want to post in the VA boards about Norflok. Since your only criteria is "a warmer climate", you're really asking a multi-state question. You might want to post on the Work and Employment board or maybe Education, where people can compare various states and their salaries. Unfortunately NC is bad news right now for teachers and not somewhere you would move to teach unless you had to. Lots of states are warmer than where you are, that also respect their teachers more. Try those other forums (under the general City-Data forums).
I am also looking to live somewhere that is not too far from NY. I would like to still be able to visit my friends and family frequently. I was planning on moving to Cali, but I don't want to be so far away from family and friends.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:43 PM

11,234 posts, read 19,688,119 times
Quote:
I am also looking to live somewhere that is not too far from NY. I would like to still be able to visit my friends and family frequently. I was planning on moving to Cali, but I don't want to be so far away from family and friends.
I recommend looking at Delaware, the rest of the DelMarva peninsula, and Virginia Beach/Hampton Roads. They are both warmer and cheaper.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:54 AM

30 posts, read 34,635 times
Wink Moving

I'm sorry about the misunderstanding. I did not wish to imply that you chose to teach because you wanted to earn lots of money. That would be rude. I was just making a general statement about teaching and how poorly it pays in comparison to other careers.

Yes, it is true that 51k in NYC is peanuts! One must earn at least $90,000 a year to live in NYC because houses in "middle class" neighborhoods, such as Queens, cost a minimum of $400,000 and it is hard to rent an apartment for less than $1,900 a month. It costs a lot to be poor in NYC!

Quote:
Yes, making 51k a year in NYC is still not sufficient enough for my living expenses. I definitely did not choose to be a teacher for the money! I just would like to live somewhere that I will make somewhat decent pay to support my living expenses. I would not like to move to NC and have to get another job.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:38 PM

5,367 posts, read 6,498,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGaL View Post
I'm sorry about the misunderstanding. I did not wish to imply that you chose to teach because you wanted to earn lots of money. That would be rude.
You have a legitimate point that is not rude. If a person is called to a profession, truly called; then it is not for the money it is for the calling.

You may feel called to the ministry, the profession of arms, or maybe healing professions then most likely income isn't the first or second level concern as long as you have enough whatever that might be. If one is called to teaching, it may be the same. I don't know. But for any calling, you know that going in.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:52 PM

1,169 posts, read 2,204,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Charleston doesn't look that good.

I just looked up the lowest starting salary for teachers with a bachelor's degree.

Charleston: $35,117
Wake County: $35,189
But SC honors master pay and has tenure which NC clearly doesn't anymore

Old 01-04-2014, 05:01 PM

5,367 posts, read 6,498,191 times
In my childrens school in georgia, the starting salary was about the same but to teach at the high school where my kids went, the teachers got a bonus for teaching in the district, from the county, and for teaching at the school. It was highly competitive to get hired.

My kids had high school teachers who were making over $100K. Yet the starting salary for teachers was ~$35K.

my daughter's physics teacher had an MS in nuclear engineering from GA Tech and the state was sending her to GA State to get her PhD. and paying for it. They had her targeted to go into administration, i was told.

So just saying all things are not as they seem and it can depend up how well you prepare and how well you perform.

So open you horizons and who knows what you will find.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:46 PM

571 posts, read 1,133,237 times
You will have to get a NC teaching license. NC does have reciprocity with NY, but the process can be complicated and may take several months or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina