Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 06:09 PM

24,357 posts, read 22,914,491 times

Advertisements

Yet another " Too close to call" election separated by a few hundred votes. This had an interesting twist, though, the guy dies from a fall. Very tragic and very... odd. Was he alone at the time. Did he die instantly, did he fall down stairs, or slip on tea and break his neck. I wonder if there will be a recount now or not or if there will be another challenger that steps up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 06:33 PM

6,871 posts, read 7,824,007 times
I am still struggling to pick my jaw off the floor. That is toooooooo awful! Truth can be stranger than fiction.

Crisco was 71. i wonder if he had a stroke or something that precipitated his fall?

Old 05-12-2014, 08:19 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,961,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I wonder if there will be a recount now or not or if there will be another challenger that steps up.
A recount would be triggered by statutory thresholds. If the vote reverses, the state Democratic Party Executive Committee would decide the nominee. Sometimes in these situations a close relative (widow or child) of a deceased candidate will step in to "seize the reigns" and ask to be nominated.

Last edited by Sean_CLT; 05-12-2014 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: yeah its 2nd dist not senate

Old 05-12-2014, 09:21 PM

36 posts, read 45,275 times
According to a Crisco representative Crisco was going to concede tomorrow. Very sad twist.

And just to be factual, it was a congressional primary, not senate.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:17 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,290,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think our country was founded by men who were not career politicians. I don't know what your definition of qualifications is, nor do I know much about Clay Aiken's politics, but he seems like a good hearted guy who would try to do a good job.
The framers, particularly Jefferson (probably the finest legal mind of the revolution) and Franklin had a great deal of experience..

Founding Fathers of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do not understand why the public now feels the need to perceive their public representatives as "approachable" or "a guy to have a beer with". I would take much more solace knowing that my representative was more experienced and capable than I; not some buffoon.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:46 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,723,758 times
Tell me about the Congressional district in question. Are its boundaries drawn to virtually guarantee the victory of one political party over another?

Old 05-13-2014, 02:50 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,089,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
The framers, particularly Jefferson (probably the finest legal mind of the revolution) and Franklin had a great deal of experience..

Founding Fathers of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do not understand why the public now feels the need to perceive their public representatives as "approachable" or "a guy to have a beer with". I would take much more solace knowing that my representative was more experienced and capable than I; not some buffoon.
Come on now... stop making sense.

Who wants any of those "Philadelphia laywers" running the government?

I mean, they cannot be trusted if one cannot have a beer with them and feel comfortable.

In all seriousness, Jefferson was quite fond of beer.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:00 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Yet another " Too close to call" election separated by a few hundred votes. This had an interesting twist, though, the guy dies from a fall. Very tragic and very... odd. Was he alone at the time. Did he die instantly, did he fall down stairs, or slip on tea and break his neck. I wonder if there will be a recount now or not or if there will be another challenger that steps up.
Does Clay have an alibi? Better yet, when's the last time anyone has seen Ruben Studdard? It's always best to get someone else to do your dirty work.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:13 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,292,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Tell me about the Congressional district in question. Are its boundaries drawn to virtually guarantee the victory of one political party over another?
Its not a gerrymandered district if that is what you mean.The district has flip parties almost every election cycle for that seat.

Here the history and counties within it. North Carolina's 2nd congressional district - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Does Clay have an alibi? Better yet, when's the last time anyone has seen Ruben Studdard? It's always best to get someone else to do your dirty work.
I seen circling web today it was the gay mafia

Old 05-13-2014, 06:47 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,954,157 times
It is a gerrymandered district now. You're looking at the non-gerrymandered map from before 2012.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/NC/2

This is what it looks like now. It is a solid red district--probably at least a 10% R advantage, although that is not enough to protect the seat from all challengers. Art Pope may have to spend a small fortune on that seat. Hard to tell how this race will shape up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina