U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 07:51 PM

5,499 posts, read 5,035,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You picked one of the worst possible states to move to if your goal was to enroll in Medicaid; NC rejected expanded Medicaid (unlike many states) and the system is currently in major chaos due to a completely browkn computer system, a DHHS Secretary who hasn't the foggiest idea how to run a program, massive short-staffing, and anybody with any knowledge being forced out for political appointees.

Regardless, the county Dept of Social Services is, and has always been, the first stopping-point for public assistance questions. Though I'm not certain why the taxpayers of NC should foot the bill for someone's medical bills who just moved here from somewhere else without paying into it.
Francois, who are you referring to? Nobody said they had moved here looking for Medicaid...or did I miss something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 11:32 AM

197 posts, read 241,963 times
[The 45 day time is ridiculous.]

Having worked for NC DSS for 20 years (not any longer, I retired) I can tell you first hand that, when you have several HUNDRED applications to process and review, 45 days is not long at all.

I understand it may seem long from the other side of the desk, but truly, unless things have changed since I left (and I highly doubt that) caseworkers are overworked and underpaid.

It's sad, but true, and heavy caseloads can lead to errors - which nobody wants to deal with!

To the OP, if you have given your caseworker everything they need, that should help speed up the process. You can call your worker to see about the status of your application....that may or may not help :/

Generally, if they have everything they need...birth certificates, pay stubs, etc. they are easy to go ahead and process.

I wish you good luck and a speedy resolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina