Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 08:49 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
The issue I think about is a state issued ID infringing on our right to vote. When the state controls the creation and distribution of the ID are they infringing on my right to vote? I have to show a state issue ID to purchase a firearm in this state, is that infringing on my right to bear arms?

Voting: Right or Privilege? - Garrett Epps - The Atlantic

In the 2012 election 68.3% of eligible voters turned out to vote. I would love for that number to get a lot closer to 100%.
http://www.elon.edu/docs/e-web/org/n...nout2012PR.pdf
The issue is not requiring AN ID, it is WHAT IDs pass the muster. Some states only require a utility bill or even the voter registration card. To me, that is sufficient ID to vote since it's very rare that someone would go to the trouble of stealing someone's utility bill or voter registration card just to vote (even in NC currently, where NO ID whatsoever is required, the number of fraud cases has been extremely minimal).

But the Radical Right-Wingers running the legislature aren't interested in reasonable ID--they are adopting the most strict standard of all 50 states and specifically not allowing (state) university IDs, for which there is absolutely NO reason to exclude except because most college students vote Democratic.

I personally don't mind requiring people to show some moderate form of ID to prove who they are, but the current law goes WAY far and beyond a reasonable measure of identity to the most repressive in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 11:04 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
Personally I'm more worried to know that so many people out there are absent a state-issued ID. If this encourages them to get one, I'm fully in favor of this. You can't even buy a scratch lottery ticket from a grocery store vending machine without a state ID these days, not having one would suppress them from a lot more than voting. Who would have an excuse not to have one except maybe a fugitive?
Without IDs far more minors would purchase lottery tickets than commit voter fraud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
The issue I think about is a state issued ID infringing on our right to vote. When the state controls the creation and distribution of the ID are they infringing on my right to vote? I have to show a state issue ID to purchase a firearm in this state, is that infringing on my right to bear arms?

Voting: Right or Privilege? - Garrett Epps - The Atlantic

In the 2012 election 68.3% of eligible voters turned out to vote. I would love for that number to get a lot closer to 100%.
http://www.elon.edu/docs/e-web/org/n...nout2012PR.pdf
No one was ever murdered or robbed by voter fraud.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:27 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
I guess living in Florida so long and seeing how the voter suppression has been here, I dont want to move to another state with the same issues. Though I know that I will be able to vote, I dont just look out for myself.
If you're searching for a state that looks out for others, you will want to steer clear of NC.

Voter suppression aside (no reason to fool ourselves that this is anything else as voter fraud is not an issue despite valiant but unsuccessful attempts to uncover even a single case of voter fraud), NC has cut already meager funding for schools, mental health... NC decided not to be involved with ACA, meaning that the working poor who make under $12,000/year (and there are plenty in the rural areas in particular) are SOL as far as health care is concerned.

Last year, the governor's appointee to head up the Early Childhood Education was on record as not believing in early childhood education.

I could go on, but you get the picture.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:39 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
the Radical Right-Wingers running the legislature aren't interested in reasonable ID--they are adopting the most strict standard of all 50 states and specifically not allowing (state) university IDs, for which there is absolutely NO reason to exclude except because most college students vote Democratic.
Voter registration is by county. Students often attend a college different that their home town, and were registered to vote in both places. They just need to pick one county and stick with it.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:23 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Voter registration is by county. Students often attend a college different that their home town, and were registered to vote in both places. They just need to pick one county and stick with it.
Citation for this "often" happening?

The NC Board of Elections maintains a state-wide database of voter registrations.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:44 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
News alert:
NC begins issuing free IDs for voting :: WRAL.com
Voters have TWO FULL YEARS to get an ID. TWO YEARS.
The ID requirement takes effect for the Presidential election of 2016, and NC DMV is issuing ID's for free now.

"Voter Suppression" as now bandied is a mere political buzzword, with no cogent place in reasonable discourse.
Who falls through the cracks that are hardly an issue for most responsible citizens of the republic?
A woman posted in the NC forum her story of adoption, lost records, etc. Very difficult proof, stemming from childhood. She has an issue, and I hope she can resolve it. The story is unusual, I hope. While very personal to her, it seems hardly representative of most of the voter base that is being sold "suppression" as another vote-pandering exercise.
Or, as one woman was quoted in response to "suppression mentality marketing" (and I may be paraphrasing her eloquence): "How stupid do they think we are? Too stupid to go get an ID?"

Yes, the NCGA is a bit nutty. Has been a bit nutty. Just not the nuts that some of us may prefer at any given time. As always, in politics, the liberties that one's team may deign to steal are a much more righteous mission than the liberties that another's team would propose to steal.

Playing the "Red Helmet-Blue Helmet" buzzword game deters non-fans, and THAT is something that "voter suppression" fans should address with substance, rather than rooting and cheering their teams by rote.
The leading teams have locked down the playing field, and aggressively suppressed other views and votes by eliminating third party involvement. That is a MUCH greater scandal than "voter suppression" as now played.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:30 AM

725 posts, read 1,500,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Without IDs far more minors would purchase lottery tickets than commit voter fraud.

No one was ever murdered or robbed by voter fraud.
Seriously? Please think about this statement. A government (any government) can kill far more people than a person with a gun.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:54 AM

122 posts, read 200,316 times
Quote:
I guess living in Florida so long and seeing how the voter suppression has been here, I dont want to move to another state with the same issues. Though I know that I will be able to vote, I dont just look out for myself.
With logic like that, you'll fit in well in North Carolina.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:04 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
All North Carolina needs is another person who spends her time minding the business of others. Guess you never learned the phrase MYOB. Not a "Dear Abby" fan, right?

No qualified voter in North Carolina is now or ever has been suppressed. But our motto is "To be rather than to seem." You cannot any more just pretend to be a citizen of this state; you have to actually be one to vote here. We have had too many imposters voting here in the past few years.

I am still remembering the person on the news from Charlotte who was spending four hours to ride to Raleigh to join protesters on immoral Monday but it was too difficult for her to get to DMV to obtain a free ID card.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:22 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
All North Carolina needs is another person who spends her time minding the business of others. Guess you never learned the phrase MYOB. Not a "Dear Abby" fan, right?

No qualified voter in North Carolina is now or ever has been suppressed. But our motto is "To be rather than to seem." You cannot any more just pretend to be a citizen of this state; you have to actually be one to vote here. We have had too many imposters voting here in the past few years.

I am still remembering the person on the news from Charlotte who was spending four hours to ride to Raleigh to join protesters on immoral Monday but it was too difficult for her to get to DMV to obtain a free ID card.
truth sometimes needs to be said. NCN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina