U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 10:20 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,742,644 times
My husband has been out of state working for a few weeks now and we haven't been able to take our annual Fall trip to the mountains. Very disappointing.

While traveling the Parkway, you may find some overlooks that also have trails you can walk. We enjoy doing that each year.

I agree about Grandfather Mountain. That's something else we do every year. We love it up there.

If you go to Boone, I recommend the Dan'l Boone Inn Restaurant. Delicious country cooking served family style. (Bowls of food placed on your table.) Be prepared for a long line though.

Have fun on your trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 04:50 AM

2,657 posts, read 4,690,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Anybody else heading out to see the leaves tomorrow???
We spent several days touring NW North Carolina, SW Virginia, NE Tennessee. NC and the Blue Ridge Parkway are wonderful, but we've been here long enough to have done most of those areas. Besides, the BRP isn't just a fall destination. We do it quite a bit the whole year long.

We stay away from the BRP in the fall, preferring to explore the other scenic backroads. We passed the entrace on 421 at Boone and saw a whole line of cars waiting to get on. Talk about ridiculous. We prefer quieter excursions. Tourist brochures tout the BRP, but there are a lot of other nice roads, you just have to be willing to take a day or three and explore. This is what we found in SW Virginia

Old 10-22-2006, 07:55 AM

229 posts, read 739,733 times
Thumbs up Daytrip to Seagrove, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Wonderning exactly what the best things to do are? We have three kids 12,10 & 8. Have been doing some research and am coming up empty handed. Looked into the Tweetsie Railroad but am worried my kids may be too old for it. Also was trying to find some type of pumpkin farms, Really my main issue is I don't really know where to look,go,see,do???? The drive will be incredible I am sure but I would like to have some points of interest to stop at to keep the kids entertained. Thanks so much!

I tried this once and my daughter loved it. If you live in the Triangle and want to learn more about the area drive to Asheboro so the kids can go to the Zoo. The Polar Bears are a big draw. After the zoo mosey over the Seagrove, North Carolina a short 5 minute drive away. There are over 50 potters in this area that sell their wares directly to the public. This is a link to the Seagrove Area Potters Association www.discoverseagrove.com. http://img.timeinc.net/southern/images/travel_ss/family/going_wild_zoo/going_wild_zoo_4_v.jpg (broken link)

Last, if you're really ambitious, take the kids to the Richard Petty Museum which is also in the area. If you're in to race cars your family will love this stop. Send me a PM if you need directions.http://www.visitrandolphcounty.com/images/attractions/13.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Tracy_Santrock; 10-22-2006 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: Add Picture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina