Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What NC city has the friendliest people?
Charlotte 6 14.29%
Raleigh 9 21.43%
Greensboro 2 4.76%
Winston-Salem 4 9.52%
Durham 2 4.76%
Fayetteville 1 2.38%
Wilmington 1 2.38%
Asheville 8 19.05%
Jacksonville 2 4.76%
Rocky Mount 0 0%
Another city (state below) 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 05:55 PM

160 posts, read 352,756 times

Advertisements

Thing is though, a lot of the people here in NC are not from NC. I meet people from WV, VA, SC, TN as well as from up north and out west. So, everyone brings along with them their manners or none. This is a hodgepodge of different races, religions, education, you name it. So, friendly depends on the person that you happen to talk to at a certain time. None of us are all that friendly at times either. Things get to everyone these days.

For the most part, most men hold the doors for me ( and I graciously tell them they are a southern gentleman!), most people say mam to me. NC still has it's southern charm.

I treat people the way I want them to treat me and it has always worked!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 02:19 PM

3,062 posts, read 4,800,494 times
I'm throwing my vote in there for Windsor. You'll be hard pressed to find someone that won't be nice to you there.

Of the cities listed, I really think Charlotte is #1. They really go out of their way to make things nice in Charlotte. And most people that live there want to live there, which helps with how nice they are in general.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:50 PM
NCN

21,661 posts, read 25,504,682 times
President Obama said the people in Millers Creek are nice to you even when they don't agree with your politics. He is right. Most mountain towns are friendly. Do you remember the book, "At Home in Mitford." The author of the book has captured the atmosphere in Northwestern North Carolina.

http://www.mitfordbooks.com/

The higher the percentage of natives you find in a town the more friendly people you will find. Just don't mistake that politeness for ignorance. Taking advantage of good manners will be YOUR undoing.

Last edited by NCN; 04-23-2014 at 09:02 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 07:37 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,502,116 times
Harmony, Concord, Union Grove, Welcome...these are the friendliest towns I know.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:11 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,852,715 times
I didn't see the video but I probably would give the same answer. Just like in racism, it's unfair to judge a whole group of people based on the actions of a few. Whatever you wanted shown in that video doesn't represent any particular area/town in its entirety and to judge a whole area/town based on that is wrong.

With that said, I've been in NC about four years and I haven't met anybody any crazier than anybody I met in Chicago or the countless other places I visited for business or vacation through the years. NC has quite a few "transplants" and I've only met about 4-5 people actually from here. So, if there is to be any stereotyping and maligning, the correct classification would be "someone who probably moved here from somewhere else and currently resides in NC is a major jerk."

Old 04-24-2014, 09:40 AM
NCN

21,661 posts, read 25,504,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
I didn't see the video but I probably would give the same answer. Just like in racism, it's unfair to judge a whole group of people based on the actions of a few. Whatever you wanted shown in that video doesn't represent any particular area/town in its entirety and to judge a whole area/town based on that is wrong.

With that said, I've been in NC about four years and I haven't met anybody any crazier than anybody I met in Chicago or the countless other places I visited for business or vacation through the years. NC has quite a few "transplants" and I've only met about 4-5 people actually from here. So, if there is to be any stereotyping and maligning, the correct classification would be "someone who probably moved here from somewhere else and currently resides in NC is a major jerk."
NCN stands for North Carolina Native. It usually takes about six months for us to put those jerks in their place then they either straighten up and fly right or they move on. And we don't really care which choice they make.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:52 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,918,061 times
Wake Forest seems pretty friendly, happy at least.

Sexual activity alleged at Wake Forest spa :: WRAL.com

Old 04-25-2014, 10:40 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,728,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabe View Post
I thought the state had that southern charm going on?? I know ALOT [sic] of people are moving there from other states.
Nail, Head, hit. Southern Charm is being eroded.

Quote:
I'm thinking of maybe moving there too.
You should have a better reason for moving somewhere than "a lot of other people are moving there." Have you ever been here and seen the place for yourself? If not, why would you move somewhere you knew nothing about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina