U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 17,208 times
Default Nc Law & Catalytic Converters

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF A 1995 CAMERO NEEDS A CATALYTIC CONVERTER TO COMPLETE A CAR INSPECTION?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 09:56 PM

16,311 posts, read 13,822,066 times
Yes,

and now I must make my message at least 10 characters (stupid little rule) before the forum will accept a response

Old 11-29-2007, 04:20 AM

5,659 posts, read 17,771,101 times
19A NCAC 03D .0541 EXHAUST EMISSION CONTROLS

1. Any vehicle shall not be approved if the vehicle is subject to inspection with any of the visible emissions control devices placed thereon by the manufacturer are missing, disconnected, made inoperative or have been altered without approval of the Department of Environment, Health, and Natural Resources.

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_ser...nforcement.pdf

Old 11-29-2007, 06:13 AM

1,687 posts, read 2,847,749 times
The answer is “Yes” if it had them from the factory. All 1995 CamAros were equipped with at least one from the factory.

I have a 1986 suburban that doesn’t have a CAT and it never did, but every time I get it inspected I have to show them the manual and prove that it didn’t have one.
Funny thing is, is that it came from CA. In CA they not only inspect it, but it has to be tested on a Dyno with probes and all the other equipment. Believe me if it had CAT’s from the factory it would have never passed the visual in CA.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:18 PM

4,214 posts, read 11,385,263 times
Uhh....yeah....any passenger car built since 1975 is supposed to have a catalytic converter on it....and if you take it to an NC inspection section without in on or not working, it will fail.

Pick up trucks I don't think were equipped with cats until the 1980's.

Bottom line: if it's supposed to have it on there from the factory it has to be on there (and working!) when you get it inspected.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Uhh....yeah....any passenger car built since 1975 is supposed to have a catalytic converter on it....and if you take it to an NC inspection section without in on or not working, it will fail.

Pick up trucks I don't think were equipped with cats until the 1980's.

Bottom line: if it's supposed to have it on there from the factory it has to be on there (and working!) when you get it inspected.
It definitely has to be there if it is factory equipped, but I have seen nothing that tests whether it is working or not.
On newer cars that have computers they do hook up to the plug under the dash and see if there are any codes, but there is no tailpipe sensors or anything that would check the emissions readings.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
It definitely has to be there if it is factory equipped, but I have seen nothing that tests whether it is working or not.
On newer cars that have computers they do hook up to the plug under the dash and see if there are any codes, but there is no tailpipe sensors or anything that would check the emissions readings.
What I stated came directly out of the hand book for NC inspections.

I don't know if they have this in NC or not but in some places they do have a tail pipe sniffer that takes a sample of the hydrocarbons that exit the tail pipe and they cannot exceed what the engine is suppose to make while idling. An engine missing it's emission controls will constitute for higher hydrocarbons.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
What I stated came directly out of the hand book for NC inspections.

I don't know if they have this in NC or not but in some places they do have a tail pipe sniffer that takes a sample of the hydrocarbons that exit the tail pipe and they cannot exceed what the engine is suppose to make while idling. An engine missing it's emission controls will constitute for higher hydrocarbons.
No NC inspection station I have been to used a tail pipe sniffer. They only check the codes from the computer if equipped.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:43 AM

Yeah when I got my 97 S-10 inspected I asked about the tail pipe probe; they said here in Fayettenam they don't do that, I think he said they used to do that but they did away with it.

But at any rate if the inspector finds your cat is missing he can decline to complete the inspection.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:42 PM

16,311 posts, read 13,822,066 times
Is there a reason your vehicle does not have a catalytic converter? I believe that it is against the law in every state to tamper with or disable any pollution control device on any vehicle.

Do you suspect there might be a reason for this, such as not polluting the air we breath at such a rapid rate? So park it or take it to a reputable exhaust shop and stop breaking the law and polluting the air we breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: