Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 02:26 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,208,674 times

Advertisements

In todays Salisbury Post, in the want ads, There is going to be an open house event in Winston for teachers. It is being run to attract teachers to Va.

I guess the Board of Ed. in Va. feels they can find a lot of good candidates in NC.

The brain drain from NC is getting very large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 03:31 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Everybody does it.

Wake county, and others in North Carolina, recruit throughout the country.
http://www.wcpss.net/careers/opportu...-fall-2013.pdf

Old 01-23-2014, 09:17 AM

613 posts, read 745,989 times
Yep my 6 year old's teacher moved down from Virginia last September. Lovely young woman.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:14 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,208,674 times
While the best and brightest will leave NC to pursue where the money is.

This is a capitalist society, The best in a career area go where the money is.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:46 PM

5 posts, read 7,329 times
While I am not a NC teacher and I have just recently begun reading about the issues in regards to teacher pay (since I am researching a move to NC), I can say that for me personally salary is one (major) factor that conveys to me how much my position is valued. I have been up and down the teacher pay scale depending where I worked. Barring my first two years teaching, where I happily worked 10-12 hour days, my salary and benefits package determined how invested I was in my profession.

There were some non-negotiables for me no matter what my salary such as I always differentiated for my students to meet their needs (to the best of my ability), I was available at lunch and/or after school to help my students, and I would never turn down a colleague who wanted to collaborate. BUT, what did change, based on my salary, was my commitment to the profession when it infringed on my own time--checking/responding to emails at night and on weekends, paying for materials out of pocket (I never could stop this completely, but I might only spend a few hundred vs. a few thousand), whether I sent weekly vs. monthly newsletters, how accommodating I was to planning/hosting evening events such as conferences, math/literacy nights, etc., and the types of professional development I would spend time and/or money pursuing (to name a few). These might not seem like big deals to some people, but to me I noticed a huge difference in the schools/districts with lower salaries vs. higher ones in the dedication of staff and whether it was viewed as more of a job or a profession, which in MY opinion had an impact on the learning environment for the students. Although at different points in my life, I wanted "less" of a career and more of a job, hence my moving up and down the pay scale by choosing different schools/districts.

So all of this was to say, that although the best in the profession might be lured to those higher salaries in other areas, some might not (but not be necessarily happy). Again, I am not from this state, nor have I ever taught here, so maybe my experience with salaries and teaching in VA and MD are completely different than here. So please take my thoughts as just my own personal experience.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:50 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk1 View Post
While I am not a NC teacher and I have just recently begun reading about the issues in regards to teacher pay (since I am researching a move to NC), I can say that for me personally salary is one (major) factor that conveys to me how much my position is valued. I have been up and down the teacher pay scale depending where I worked. Barring my first two years teaching, where I happily worked 10-12 hour days, my salary and benefits package determined how invested I was in my profession.

There were some non-negotiables for me no matter what my salary such as I always differentiated for my students to meet their needs (to the best of my ability), I was available at lunch and/or after school to help my students, and I would never turn down a colleague who wanted to collaborate. BUT, what did change, based on my salary, was my commitment to the profession when it infringed on my own time--checking/responding to emails at night and on weekends, paying for materials out of pocket (I never could stop this completely, but I might only spend a few hundred vs. a few thousand), whether I sent weekly vs. monthly newsletters, how accommodating I was to planning/hosting evening events such as conferences, math/literacy nights, etc., and the types of professional development I would spend time and/or money pursuing (to name a few). These might not seem like big deals to some people, but to me I noticed a huge difference in the schools/districts with lower salaries vs. higher ones in the dedication of staff and whether it was viewed as more of a job or a profession, which in MY opinion had an impact on the learning environment for the students. Although at different points in my life, I wanted "less" of a career and more of a job, hence my moving up and down the pay scale by choosing different schools/districts.

So all of this was to say, that although the best in the profession might be lured to those higher salaries in other areas, some might not (but not be necessarily happy). Again, I am not from this state, nor have I ever taught here, so maybe my experience with salaries and teaching in VA and MD are completely different than here. So please take my thoughts as just my own personal experience.
Don't move to NC. You are very likely to be expected to do all of those things on your own time.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:13 PM

5 posts, read 7,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Don't move to NC. You are very likely to be expected to do all of those things on your own time.
I am becoming increasingly disheartened with the direction of public education. Our move to NC, would include me staying home with our toddler. I am not sure if I will ever return to public K-12 education again...but will never say never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina