Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 12:34 PM

22 posts, read 56,550 times

Advertisements

Hi, This is my first time on a forum of any kind so feel free to give me pointers...I'm a retired USAF 100% DAV living in the Finger Lakes area of NY. Kids are grown and living in other states but have one son who is interested in moving more south to be closer to some extended family that's in Virginia and Maryland. Also my mother who lives in senior apts on her own but doesn't drive and has COPD will be moving with me, and of course my two standard chihuahuas. Finally got debt free and am focusing on some good savings but will be in the 35,-40K income for the remainder.

I prioritize: God, State Parks, fishing, camping, get togethers w/neighbors or new friends (if people still do that somewhere), gardening (which there is barely a season for here), conservative values, but not predjudice (5 of my six kids are adopted from Liberia West Africa during their civil war) so they are truly African American and I really have no time for ignorance. There are issues everywhere but want my kids/grandkids to be able to visit without being routinely mistreated. Don't wanna be where people already don't like "transplants."

1.Looking for a more temperate climate, lowest in relative humidity I can get in the eastern US, with as little pollution as possible for my mom's breathing and my arthritis issues (and to garden more). As minimal insect issues as possible.
2.Must be within 30 min of a full service, well rated Veterans Medical Center as I get all my med from VA (have tri-care but it's a "humorous" service most of the time). Also, a good full service civilian hospital for my mom who only has medicare and me.
3.Good selection of low income senior apts for my mom. She wants her own place.
Within 45 min of an active airport.
4.Don't want to be on or near the coast, or in a tornado zone, or flood zone.
5.Country life with neighbors but not closer than my required min. 1 acre lot (preferably 3). Don't want a mobile home and don't want to spend more than 100K for at least a 2-3br/1 1/2+b home.
6.Must have trees and creeks, streams, rivers, lakes around close by (on the property would be awesome).
7.Must be within 45 min of a few substantial cities where my son can find employment (he is working to finish up getting CCNA Certification (computer networks) and works for AOL right now just taking his CCent Cert. That is why Johnson City, TN caught my eye after I had been looking at Asheville, NC.
8.Must have a good selection of nondenominational churches within 30 min-ish.

OK Folks there it is, are you laughing yet? Send me anything you got to help. (And I won't post this long again, just wanted to get it all out there one time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 01:17 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,364,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow1958 View Post
Hi, This is my first time on a forum of any kind so feel free to give me pointers...I'm a retired USAF 100% DAV living in the Finger Lakes area of NY. Kids are grown and living in other states but have one son who is interested in moving more south to be closer to some extended family that's in Virginia and Maryland. Also my mother who lives in senior apts on her own but doesn't drive and has COPD will be moving with me, and of course my two standard chihuahuas. Finally got debt free and am focusing on some good savings but will be in the 35,-40K income for the remainder.
Hi Meadow1958, and welcome to the C-D Forums. Congrats on the "debt-free" part! That is always a great feeling! I am sure you will love the sense of freedom it gives you.

Quote:
I prioritize: God, State Parks, fishing, camping, get togethers w/neighbors or new friends (if people still do that somewhere), gardening (which there is barely a season for here), conservative values, but not predjudice (5 of my six kids are adopted from Liberia West Africa during their civil war) so they are truly African American and I really have no time for ignorance. There are issues everywhere but want my kids/grandkids to be able to visit without being routinely mistreated. Don't wanna be where people already don't like "transplants."
It is wonderful that you've adopted, and are offering a better life to so many children. It sounds as if you have a good heart, and are open to caring for others. While I cannot speak to TN, I feel there are areas in WNC in which you would find understanding and open people who would not exhibit prejudices against your children.

Note: I am in NO WAY saying TN is different ... only that I have no experience in that state. Maybe you could post a similar message (if you did not already) in the TN forum and see what kind of replies you get there.

Quote:
1.Looking for a more temperate climate, lowest in relative humidity I can get in the eastern US, with as little pollution as possible for my mom's breathing and my arthritis issues (and to garden more). As minimal insect issues as possible.
I THINK that you will find the humidity drops as you go up in elevation. WNC CAN get pretty sticky and humid, and the pesky noseeums will always be around while you garden or do the lawn. I am at about 2,300', and even here, they make mowing a bit more aggravating than it would otherwise be. Issue is, I believe as you get higher in altitude, it becomes more difficult to find level land on which to garden, but I am not saying it's impossible ... just harder to find.

Quote:
2.Must be within 30 min of a full service, well rated Veterans Medical Center as I get all my med from VA (have tri-care but it's a "humorous" service most of the time). Also, a good full service civilian hospital for my mom who only has medicare and me.
I have no experience with this question, and will leave it for others to answer.

Quote:
3.Good selection of low income senior apts for my mom. She wants her own place. Within 45 min of an active airport.
In addition to your own home, this might be tricky, given your stated finances. There IS AVL airport, but I believe you are going to find Asheville itself a bit out of your desired price zone. If you go between Asheville and Greenville, SC, you will have two airport options, and the chance of finding some lower-priced areas will increase.

Quote:
4.Don't want to be on or near the coast, or in a tornado zone, or flood zone.
Well, there is no coast in WNC. Tornadoes are rare, from what I've heard, on the eastern side of the mountains, but they are still a possibility. Floods, too, are possible, although you will probably be able to find out which areas flood most often, as they are typically predictable areas. This will be a good thing to put on your list to check out once you have found potential properties.

Quote:
5.Country life with neighbors but not closer than my required min. 1 acre lot (preferably 3). Don't want a mobile home and don't want to spend more than 100K for at least a 2-3br/1 1/2+b home.
I believe on this, that you are expecting quite a bit for $100K, even down here. Granted, property taxes will probably be a fraction of what you pay in NY, but the actual cost of property is not that much different.

Quote:
6.Must have trees and creeks, streams, rivers, lakes around close by (on the property would be awesome).
You WILL have trees, creeks, streams, rivers, lakes, AND waterfalls around, but again, probably not on your property, for under $100K. You will most likely need to take short drives to find the public ones.

Quote:
7.Must be within 45 min of a few substantial cities where my son can find employment (he is working to finish up getting CCNA Certification (computer networks) and works for AOL right now just taking his CCent Cert. That is why Johnson City, TN caught my eye after I had been looking at Asheville, NC.
Again, congrats! Computer Networking is a great field ... t'was one of my own before I retired. Again, if you can find a suitable place between Asheville and Greenville, SC, you will have Asheville, Greenville, and Spartanburg within about 45 minutes to an hour, driving some fine, open, uncongested, roads with beautiful scenery around them.

Quote:
8.Must have a good selection of nondenominational churches within 30 min-ish.
You will have NO TROUBLE finding churches around here. You will often be able to see more than one from any particular vantage point. I would say it will probably take you more than a year to sort through them all to find out which is your favorite.

Quote:
OK Folks there it is, are you laughing yet? Send me anything you got to help. (And I won't post this long again, just wanted to get it all out there one time
No need to laugh, but I DO think the hardest part is going to be finding everything you expect for under $100K.

And don't worry about long posts. It is far better to have more information than not enough. Good luck in your exploration.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:37 PM

Thanks "pvs" - appreciated each input. I knew I was praying for alot for a little but all I know is I've had pretty much of nothing most of my life materially and sitting right now on my 35-40K with no commitments other than my mother and keeping myself fed, watered and sheltered - in peace and thankfulness - I'm pretty confident it's only uphill from here - I know when I look around the Rochester area where I am people are always posting for the mid to upper range professional income, talking about houses being in the 250K+ range - to me that is way inaccurate because there are tons of houses that are quite nice, with solid basics (wiring, water heater, heating syst., foundation, etc) that don't have the fancy (marble countertops, pristine wood floors, bay windows...) got my drift. I'm not in need or desire of such things... Even if I made 200K I would prefer a little stone, or log cottage. Truthfully the land is vastly more important to me than the dwelling. If you gave me a good RV and 3 sweet acres of land with a year round creek and woods within an hour of a decent city, I'd take that over a really nice brick home on 1/10 acre lot (assuming I couldn't sell it - lol) anyway - say that to illustrate that, I am hoping your area might be like that...Houses are available that are decent, fundamentally solid but maybe not just the way you might like it (ugly paint, cosmetic issues, no extras, but solid, even "almost" solid). I can fix up almost anything to look sweet and be home. So if I could find those old 2/3 bdrm that look forlorn, not like somebody's dream home but it has a little sweet land on it and I won't be out in the sticks by myself totally and have access to a city - that'll be my dream. I have a dream...and a plan. So here we have those 50-90K places, especially when outta the city proper...whatta ya think pvs... u know what I mean? It's all relative. I've never lived in my own home growing up and have never been able to buy one grown, but I'm going to now BGsG. That all means I have first time buyer benefit and VA benefit, and I'm good at doubling up, and finding folks not companies to help get a job done at a fair price...

Old 01-23-2014, 04:55 PM

Sorry to rant a bit but it IS a great sense of accomplishment to be debt free when you make so little - thanks for understanding.

The noseeums as you say here are mosquitos, and for a very short season - ants. But as you get toward the city you get roaches, and the little pincher bugs. Just don't want to move to an area there where insects are a major hassle, if there is one.

What about the smaller towns east and north east of Asheville but still closer to it than say Hickory distance, is there any I missed closer to Asheville?

What do you know about the Statesville, Hickory area...I have one couple I know who buys rental houses in that area but it is more central away from the beauty and seemed more susceptible to tornados if I researched the records clearly. Do you know what they are like as towns apart from any other considerations?

If, down the road, I had to make a concession - what would be your opinion of a permanently founded double wide or modular given the weather and land there? Any opinion?

Do people there seem to have some of that southern friendliness I remember from the south when I was young?

Any comments or info anyone thinks of is appreciated.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:59 PM
pvs

Quote:
Thanks "pvs" - appreciated each input. I knew I was praying for alot for a little but all I know is I've had pretty much of nothing most of my life materially and sitting right now on my 35-40K with no commitments other than my mother and keeping myself fed, watered and sheltered - in peace and thankfulness - I'm pretty confident it's only uphill from here - I know when I look around the Rochester area where I am people are always posting for the mid to upper range professional income, talking about houses being in the 250K+ range - to me that is way inaccurate because there are tons of houses that are quite nice, with solid basics (wiring, water heater, heating syst., foundation, etc) that don't have the fancy (marble countertops, pristine wood floors, bay windows...) got my drift. I'm not in need or desire of such things... Even if I made 200K I would prefer a little stone, or log cottage. Truthfully the land is vastly more important to me than the dwelling. If you gave me a good RV and 3 sweet acres of land with a year round creek and woods within an hour of a decent city, I'd take that over a really nice brick home on 1/10 acre lot (assuming I couldn't sell it - lol) anyway - say that to illustrate that, I am hoping your area might be like that...Houses are available that are decent, fundamentally solid but maybe not just the way you might like it (ugly paint, cosmetic issues, no extras, but solid, even "almost" solid). I can fix up almost anything to look sweet and be home. So if I could find those old 2/3 bdrm that look forlorn, not like somebody's dream home but it has a little sweet land on it and I won't be out in the sticks by myself totally and have access to a city - that'll be my dream. I have a dream...and a plan. So here we have those 50-90K places, especially when outta the city proper...whatta ya think pvs... u know what I mean? It's all relative. I've never lived in my own home growing up and have never been able to buy one grown, but I'm going to now BGsG. That all means I have first time buyer benefit and VA benefit, and I'm good at doubling up, and finding folks not companies to help get a job done at a fair price...
Actually, I don't know if you'll be able to find it. Maybe. I bought here in Laurel Park/Hendersonville about 18 months ago, and I Do get fliers for land in outlying areas that seems really cheap. But I don't think you'll find what you're looking for within an hour of a city, be it major OR a small one. These places are out in the sticks, but they offer what you're seeking ... lakes, creeks, trees, views, etc.

My own home has no view, except neighboring homes within 100' of my own 1/2 Acre plot. My home is well built, outside of the newer features that were added in the past two decades. It was built around 1985, when builders and contractors cared more about what they were doing. But I see the newer pieces of the home have been built like sh1t, like one can expect from more recent builders/contractors. FWIW, I paid about $295K for this place, and I must admit, I am VERY happy with it. Pimples and all.

But ... living in Laurel Park (Hendersonville), I not only pay Henderson County Property Taxes (about $1,400/year) but also Laurel Park taxes (ANOTHER $1,400/year). My pension is, admittedly, much higher than yours. I am also debt-free, outside of my mortgage, which I got at the lull, about 3.6%. Interest rates, as well as housing prices, have risen since then.

I imagine you MIGHT be able to find a fixer-upper, and keep within your proposed budget. You obviously don't need or want a place within Laurel Park limits, which will keep your annual taxes down. But I fear that, at your price point, you will be putting yourself into some sketchy areas, where safety might become an issue. But, as you have not listed this as a priority, it might not be, for your search/priorities. IMO, though, you need to think about this, for you ... and for your children, and decide if this is important ... or not. To me, and for my DW, it WAS a #1 priority.

Again, I wish you the best of luck. But I would SERIOUSLY start to think about REALITY, rather than dreams, and limit some of the things and amounts that you expect to get from your move. We ALL want a house on the lake, with streams and waterfalls and the best views imaginable ... but ALL of those are already owned by people who make far more than you and I.

You need to put things into a realistic perspective, IMO. You CAN do well here, and love your new life. But you're NOT going to live like a millionaire ... unless you are one.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:04 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,011,367 times
Quote:
If, down the road, I had to make a concession - what would be your opinion of a permanently founded double wide or modular given the weather and land there? Any opinion?
Lots of people live in double-wides because they are cheaper than conventional houses. They are built well enough now that bad weather (except for an occasional tornado) won't blow them over. Obviously the lot has to be wide enough to bring in the units, and you have to put in the well and septic tank.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-23-2014 at 07:58 PM..

Old 01-23-2014, 07:06 PM
pvs

Quote:
Sorry to rant a bit but it IS a great sense of accomplishment to be debt free when you make so little - thanks for understanding.

The noseeums as you say here are mosquitos, and for a very short season - ants. But as you get toward the city you get roaches, and the little pincher bugs. Just don't want to move to an area there where insects are a major hassle, if there is one.

What about the smaller towns east and north east of Asheville but still closer to it than say Hickory distance, is there any I missed closer to Asheville?

What do you know about the Statesville, Hickory area...I have one couple I know who buys rental houses in that area but it is more central away from the beauty and seemed more susceptible to tornados if I researched the records clearly. Do you know what they are like as towns apart from any other considerations?

Do people there seem to have some of that southern friendliness I remember from the south when I was young?

Any comments or info anyone thinks of is appreciated.
No they're NOT. Noseeums are swarms of little, angry, annoying, and pestilent little gnats (or something) that surround your face as you try to mow, or rake (GOD I wish more people raked, instead of using leaf-blowers), or till, or whatever. They are NOT mosquitoes!!!!!

Old 01-23-2014, 07:49 PM
pvs

Default Radon

One more thing to keep in mind as you search for your dream down here is Radon. If you care about your, and your family's health, pay attention to the Radon report ... and make sure you get one. If you DO find a place that is giving you your dreams, make sure you get an unbiased Radon report. It's an important issue down here, and you should be aware of what you might potentially be buying. Be careful with this ... It's important'

Old 01-23-2014, 08:13 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,615,836 times
You might want to take your list and first find the VA Medical place, job for son and go from there. If you are looking for relief from aching bones, I am not sure North Carolina mountains will be good for you. Their winters can be brutal.

We are getting fire ants in the Charlotte area. My son in the Raleigh area has none. Hasn't VA changed the way they do medical?

I think the house would be third behind medical, job, and climate. All those trees in the mountains come from a lot of rain. You can check the county statistics on city-data for the amount. The Eastern side of the mountains get less than the Tennessee side usually. Our best snows and rains come up from Atlanta.

That is a big list and I don't know any place that fits it all. The only VA hospital I know about is around Salisbury.

You can easily get rid of gnats with a bee smoker or a chemical patio torch.

I read your post again and have one bit of information for you. Ashe County has few bugs because their winters are so cold. Lots of farms in that area. They market green beans with very few bug bites on them. Johnson City would probably be the same.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:14 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,860,696 times
OP: I think that you *could* find land under your budget in the Asheville area, but it probably wouldn't have a dwelling on it and may not meet all of your requirements.

If the land is vacant and you were to consider buying a trailer for it, keep in mind that there would be costs involved in getting electricity to the property, in addition to getting a well and septic. It would all eat into your budget pretty quickly!

My inlaws bought land in VA and it cost them over $10,000 just to get the electric company to get them hooked onto the grid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina