Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 02:34 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
W-S???? Someone lied to you. Only ones here are two old cross dressers. Asheville has dozens of them.
Can't tell if this is a serious post or not, but W-S has a number of gays and lesbians (a LOT more than "dozens") who seem to fit right in. And further, it's a very tolerant city so those who are here feel very comfortable based on conversations with those I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 01:17 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
You might check in to New Bern. We bought our home from a lesbian couple, and there are several gay couples very active in the neighborhood association. Lots of old fahts, like me, too.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:37 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Durham/Chapel Hill/Carrboro and Asheville are the most gay friendly areas in North Carolina. Charlotte is improving, but it isn't as gay friendly as those other areas.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:40 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
I personally don't like Asheville or Chapel Hill. It's too artsy for me. Charlotte & Wilmington are above and beyond my top 2 cities with Winston being the only other option for me in NC. I say that because all the major Metro areas are gay friendly (as far as I ever knew). So it all comes down to which city you like best.

Asheville and Chapel Hill (to me) have always been in their own little world it seems from my perspective. I like that Wilmington and Charlotte seem to me to be more mainstream. Wilmington has Wrightsville beach and the area around Mayfield (I think it's called) is right up my ally. Then I like how Charlotte has it's different distinct areas and other amenities and the fact that it's larger but not too large like Houston or Philadelphia.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:59 PM

32 posts, read 77,118 times
"What I (and my wife) don't understand is, why isn't it just "ok" if straight people/families don't want to live in the same areas that gays live in?? A lot of Blacks don't necessarily want to live in an area that is predominatly White, Whites don't want to live in an area that is predominately Black and so on and so on.
A statement was said, "if everyone could just get along, this world would be a better place to live". Nice statement, but as long as different people have different religions, different political ideas, different incomes and different lifestyles.......people in this world and in the U.S. will just have to live where they can be accepted."

I always wonder why posters such as this click on a thread like this. To answer your question, you may live wherever you want. Perhaps they have a nice area for bigoted, ignorant people.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:52 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
The thing about NC in general, is that no matter people's personal beliefs, the population as a whole has a live and let live mentality. Not to say there are places that if their daughter came home with a girl or their grandson came home with a a woman of a different race they wouldn't have issues (both things I've seen in the last month) but people treat people outside of their family the same no matter who they are.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:03 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoerobin View Post
(quoting someone else) "What I (and my wife) don't understand is, why isn't it just "ok" if straight people/families don't want to live in the same areas that gays live in??
Wow, I missed this!

My main question for that poster is, how do they determine the definition of an "area that gays live in"? How many "gays" does it take to reach "saturation"? Because every neighborhood in most cities have SOME gay people, so good luck finding somewhere "gays" don't live. Even in the "gay" neighborhoods of most cities, the GLBT population is probably no more than 1/4. Are you really so afraid of being around a minority that is outnumbered 3 to 1 by "your own people", you wouldn't consider living there?

Old 02-04-2012, 02:28 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenneNY View Post
Really? I would think Charlotte would be more accepting for gays, being a bigger city, hum! interesting!
Charlotte is but the surrounding suburbs are very conservative and have a tendency to vote in strong, over the top social conservatives like Bill James, which gives the city its conservative reputation. Dilworth, Plaza Midwood, NoDA, Southend, and the areas surrounding uptown lean heavily to the left. Most of the gay bars are in Southend.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:25 PM

15 posts, read 35,731 times
[quote]"What I (and my wife) don't understand is, why isn't it just "ok" if straight people/families don't want to live in the same areas that gays live in?? A lot of Blacks don't necessarily want to live in an area that is predominatly White, Whites don't want to live in an area that is predominately Black and so on and so on.
A statement was said, "if everyone could just get along, this world would be a better place to live". Nice statement, but as long as different people have different religions, different political ideas, different incomes and different lifestyles.......people in this world and in the U.S. will just have to live where they can be accepted."

LOL! it IS "okay" and there is nothing wrong with that sentiment--in fact, there are plenty of unchartered/unpopulated islands, uninhabited desert areas and many, many unexplored forests, tundras etc. worldwide where one can live in complete peace and harmony with those similar spirits willing to relocate...(but poll the wildlife first, to see if they tolerate humanoids; I hear some areas are unconscionably exclusive) One of the wonderful things about America (in addition to wifi coffee bars and cable internet access) - is the right to choose one's guest list-one needn't invite the neighbors to dinner parties or weekend outtings.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:29 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
Trannies are not gay. Just confused.
I have a couple transsexual friends, and I can say they're definitely not confused. They have a pretty good idea of what body they were supposed to be born in. 'Tranny' is also derogatory, fyi. It's unfortunate for them because they're about 30 years behind gays in terms of recognition and public acceptance. Coming out for them is harder; they have to go through a lot more hoops like legally changing their name, deciding which restroom to use in public when they're transitioning. Tough stuff.

Anyway, to the OP - the major cities are fine. Charlotte proper, Asheville proper, Greensboro, and anywhere in the Triangle. I'm an out bisexual man and I've lived in the Raleigh-Durham area my whole life. Never had problems. Plenty guys to date, and plenty open-minded girls willing to date bi guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina