Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 10:32 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't want it that way. I like southern culture. I'm just wondering where in North Carolina you can live and conclude that NC is not a southern state. Furthermore, how could one conclude that it was never a southern state?
Well, I think the author you quoted in your first question is simply wrong. I can't defend the author, so I am dropping off this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 10:33 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
I don't want it that way. I like southern culture. I'm just wondering where in North Carolina you can live and conclude that NC is not a southern state. Furthermore, how could one conclude that it was never a southern state?
Why is this important to you?

If you feel it is a Southern state and you have found what you consider to be Southern culture here, then what is the point of this discussion? lol

Old 01-29-2014, 10:38 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
North Carolina has many different Southern cultures. I was born in Northwestern North Carolina and had never met a black person to know their name until I graduated high school and moved to Statesville. Our school was not segregated but had only one mixed with black child. She was in another grade so I never met her although we all knew she was there and our parents made sure we knew to be nice to her if I had met her.

President Obama has visited my high school twice and loves it there because he says the people are nice to you even if they don't agree with your politics. People are brought up that way in that area. They are nice to everybody. Racism? What is that? I had to look it up. Most people don't know what it really means is my conclusion from seeing it misused on these threads. I was taught that everybody was made by God and for that reason should be treated with respect because if you are still alive that means that God has not given up on you and we shouldn't either. That means every live human.

I have noticed a guilt type relationship many whites have to black people where they excuse their actions and don't expect as much from them and make allowances. I don't have that because I see all humans as equals. I sometimes get called a racist on here because I don't have that guilt and don't make any allowances for them. I expect them to behave in a civilized manner just as I expect any other American to do.

Last edited by NCN; 01-29-2014 at 10:50 AM..

Old 01-29-2014, 10:41 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,504 times
Again, whose quote is it? Sounds like somebody who likes to make stuff up.

That's like me asking "Where could you live in Brooklyn and not consider yourself part of New York."

Old 01-29-2014, 10:46 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post

That's like me asking "Where could you live in Brooklyn and not consider yourself part of New York."
It is obviously taken out of context and has no meaning as such.

There are days I certainly feel that NC isn't very Southern but that is b/c I live in Charlotte and rarely even hear a Southern accent.

However, for me to say "Charlotte isn't really Southern anymore" evidently has a very different meaning than it would for the OP.

Not hearing a Southern accent has nothing to do with OP's broader statements about Civil Rights issues and how those things are what define the South. I honestly do not even understand the discussion so I am bowing out.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:06 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
It was a comment from the Washington Post.

Capital Weather Gang - What is the mid-Atlantic?

I'm guessing it's possible to live within liberal enclaves of the Research Triangle and not venture far from them. It's the same way people can live in New York and not leave the swank sections of Manhattan. For example, I have a co-worker who had no idea NYC was more than a quarter Hispanic. But from his perspective, which has been formed by living near Little Italy and not going above Central Park, the city was completely different. It's not that he didn't know there were Hispanics at all; he just thought it was more like 5-10% Hispanic.

He also didn't know that Brooklyn is home to a large West Indian population.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:43 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
But again, where could you live in North Carolina and never be exposed to southern culture in your life?

Well, if you are say 25 and have lived in the Raleigh or Charlotte area where there are lots of transplants. Especially certain areas are much less "NC" or "southern" than places even 30 minutes away.

Though it does not sound like the article was making that point.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:00 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Well, if you are say 25 and have lived in the Raleigh or Charlotte area where there are lots of transplants. Especially certain areas are much less "NC" or "southern" than places even 30 minutes away.

Though it does not sound like the article was making that point.
I now live about 25 miles outside of Charlotte. I can go from Southern accent to transplant by traveling about one block. I am not even sure what the difference is anymore except some of the transplants hear a Southern accent and assume that person is racist. You know what a person does when he assumes though.

I have had it with the name calling and don't work with the public anymore and don't have to or choose to deal with ignorant transplants. I get along fine with intelligent transplants. If you are moving south, the choice is yours. You can make your life easy or make your "prejudiced against Southern culture" life hard.

I remember studying social issues in elementary grades. I latched onto this idea because at the time I was studying it we moved. When moving to a new location it is best to look for the complimentary things in the new area. Telling people they are doing it wrong or it was better where you came from is not a good way to gain friends. When in Rome do as the Romans do or when moving South assimilate.

For instance today is not a good time to make fun of Southerners who don't know or choose to drive in snow. I have seen the piles of wrecks across the country and not all of them were in the South. Nobody can drive on ice no matter where they live. The pictures on the weather channel prove this. So stop the "smarter than you are act." It could just be smarter to stay home.

Last edited by NCN; 01-29-2014 at 12:22 PM..

Old 01-29-2014, 12:08 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
It was a comment from the Washington Post.

Capital Weather Gang - What is the mid-Atlantic?
That writer has no credibility. He has a screen name "AdmiralX" and the quote was 4 years ago on a weather blog.

FWIW, I think it is possible for North Carolina to have aspects of both the Mid-Atlantic and the South.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:19 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
When in Rome do as the Romans do or when moving South assimilate.
But if they want to banish southern culture much like this fella?

Quote:
Thankfully, with population growth and changing political and social cultures, it has strengthened its reach, now extending beyond Fredericksburg, with the sweet tea line banished to Richmond and points south.
Why is southern culture something to be "banished?" Fascism? Yes. Southern culture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina