U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 08:43 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,194,391 times

Advertisements

Yep, they're comatose on my porch right now out of the wind. Please let it freeze tonight! Thanks for the info guys. And thanks for the nice words Mikey. Gotta have some fun in this life. I think I will be on the hunt again tomorrow. All we can do is hope we prevail. I will have some extra swatter help tomorrow with my husband home. Soon he will know the frustration of the fly. Sad thing is I have no Christmas spirit for them. Oh well. I'm over it.

Have a great and hopefully frigid day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 12:17 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,174,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
mm34b:
You just outdid yourself with that average temperature report. Good information. Looks like the infamous flies are not long for this world!.
Well, wait until later in winter. Then it will be <dun dun DUN!> "Invasion of .... THE LADY BUGS!" <cue 50s scary movie music>

I didn't realize there were that many lady bugs flying around wild; the garden magazines tout places where you can order 100s for your garden; come winter the little pests invade our house like someone shook a whole box of Red Rice Krispies over our roof. They make that <snap!> sound when you step on them; heaven forfend you don't check your dishes before ladling food onto them. I once drank a glass of soda, got down to the last gulp and wondering what that hard little dot was inside my mouth. I hawked, AAACKED!, and gagged when I spit out a lady bug! I was sitting there thinking "AAAUGH! I bet I swallowed its legs!"

And no matter how tightly it seems your house is sealed, somehow the little beggars get inside

Old 12-01-2007, 09:19 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,542,070 times
silverwing:
Thanks for that advice. I hope that Catrick has also noted it. Unfortunately my Wife thinks that ladybugs are good luck so I guess I am doomed when/if they invade.. A plus (+) for you.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:04 AM

674 posts, read 605,195 times
Guys, try this:

I had this problem in the summer in Charlotte-- flies all over the lawn, flying around, etc. I put a solution in a spray bottle: 50% viegar and 50% water. Sprayed it on the lawn DAILY and they hate the vinegar so they stayed away. Had to do it each day, though. Also, a lot of carribean nations place water in plastic baggies and hang these baggies on windows, doorways, and from trees-- the reflection of the water hurts the flies' multiple eyes and they stay away.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:34 PM

ncisgreat: Very interesting. I will pass this on to my Wife as she swears by vinegar. I'll try it tomorrow.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Well, wait until later in winter. Then it will be <dun dun DUN!> "Invasion of .... THE LADY BUGS!" <cue 50s scary movie music>

I didn't realize there were that many lady bugs flying around wild; the garden magazines tout places where you can order 100s for your garden; come winter the little pests invade our house like someone shook a whole box of Red Rice Krispies over our roof. They make that <snap!> sound when you step on them; heaven forfend you don't check your dishes before ladling food onto them. I once drank a glass of soda, got down to the last gulp and wondering what that hard little dot was inside my mouth. I hawked, AAACKED!, and gagged when I spit out a lady bug! I was sitting there thinking "AAAUGH! I bet I swallowed its legs!"

And no matter how tightly it seems your house is sealed, somehow the little beggars get inside

I've already had a few ladybugs get in although I found them dead. They are good luck but a point comes when there will be too many.

mm was right. This morning there had been a freeze and the little flies were ripe for the taking. Just flicked them with my finger and they dropped like-yes, flies. A few came around this afternoon and I not obsessivley of course went after them and broke my swatter. Good thing I had a backup. Tonight, there is one lone holdout. Lucky because I can't reach him. Looking forward to the ladybugs. Will take my mind off the BIG BLACK SPIDERS hanging around.

Ah, nature. You gotta love it.

P.S. Mikey. I like vinegar too.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
Guys, try this:

I had this problem in the summer in Charlotte-- flies all over the lawn, flying around, etc. I put a solution in a spray bottle: 50% viegar and 50% water. Sprayed it on the lawn DAILY and they hate the vinegar so they stayed away. Had to do it each day, though. Also, a lot of carribean nations place water in plastic baggies and hang these baggies on windows, doorways, and from trees-- the reflection of the water hurts the flies' multiple eyes and they stay away.
I'm originally from Ft Lauderdale and I have heard about the baggies of water in the Islands. They claim it works. Hope I don't have to try that here.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:05 PM

674 posts, read 605,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
ncisgreat: Very interesting. I will pass this on to my Wife as she swears by vinegar. I'll try it tomorrow.
Good luck! I found a bunch of websites that swear by it, too-- some say to use pure vinegar instead of my vinegar/water mixture. If the problem is really bad, that may be the way to go! Another method said one part dish soap, one part vinegar, three parts water.

They are also said to dislike citrus, cloves and lavendar oil.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:45 PM

Catrick and ncisgreat: You two have a wealth of knowledge that I intend to tap into. First, all of the ladies seem to like vinegar. Must be something we males don't understand. Second, my Wife prefers the white kind so that's what we will be attacking the little buggers with in the A.M. when they are at a disadvantage. Third, Wife said that ladybugs are off limits...haven't heard that since I spent a tour in South Korea at the invitation of Uncle Sam. Last, be assured that I will report back and advise how well the 50/50 solution (or the deadly undiluted version) actually worked. I'm pulling out my never used yet fly swatter that I got at the Hollerin Contest from Star Phone Company. It is all plastic, solid and promises to take a lot of beating. Good hunting y'all.
PS: No spiders here...wonder why!

Last edited by RuralCoastalGuy; 12-01-2007 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: forgot about the spiders

Old 12-01-2007, 09:45 PM

3,124 posts, read 11,672,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post

Lady Bugs do not swarm....if you have a large grouping of what look like Lady Bugs, chances are they are Asian Lady Beetles. Not the same thing at all..and these bite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina