Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,346 times

Advertisements

I'm 16 and got a speeding ticket, doing 49 in 35 mph zone. I plan on paying the ticket and not going to court. I just want to know if my license will be revoked or suspended?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 11:43 PM

978 posts, read 2,042,111 times
Why pay it? If it's your first one, go to court and try to get it lowered. Often times they will let you take a class in order to avoid points on the license.

At your age, I wouldn't want any tickets.

I don't think they will revoke the license unless you are caught driving in a 55MPH or more zone.

I used to be a lead foot, but after realizing that you don't really get there that much faster, and considering the cost of a speeding ticket, I rarely drive more than 5 over the limit.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:43 AM

586 posts, read 1,966,042 times
Don't pay it! At least not without negotiating it down. Go to court, DRESS UP! talk to the DA, explain that it's your first, and how sorry you are, and could they please lower it to 9 over the speed limit. Be on time, extremely respectful (ma'm and sir!) and pay attention! You will still pay the fine and court costs but no points on your license. More points equals higher insurance!!

Your license is safe. The only reason they would suspend it is if you don't show up to court.

Be careful and NO TEXTING!!! :-D

Tracey

Old 02-16-2014, 09:34 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,767,155 times
Always fight it!!! It's YOUR constitutional right to do so! You, as American citizen have been accused of violating a law. Albeit not a major law, and you have a right to defend yourself. Only for this situation, your defense might need to be a humble one.

If it were me, first I would demand to see all five certifications were current by the officer who issued the citation. Ask that he demonstrate those documents, ask that he be present (50% of the time they do not show up for court and the judge must throw out your case as you have a right to face your accuser) if even one of his certifications is expired, the judge must throw out the ticket. You get the drift? Increase your odds of winning.

If all that fails, show him the video ABC news did on the undercover video showing Raleigh's finest speeding 80 MPH plus all over the freeways for no reason! LOL.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:22 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,433,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Why pay it? If it's your first one, go to court and try to get it lowered. Often times they will let you take a class in order to avoid points on the license.

At your age, I wouldn't want any tickets.

I don't think they will revoke the license unless you are caught driving in a 55MPH or more zone.

I used to be a lead foot, but after realizing that you don't really get there that much faster, and considering the cost of a speeding ticket, I rarely drive more than 5 over the limit.
Or 15 MPH over the posted limit. Cop may have given the kid a break by writing it at 14 over.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:27 AM

62 posts, read 91,647 times
You wont lose your license BUT you will lose some money...A moving violation means INSURANCE POINTS AND DRIVING POINTS and court cost. Unless you can afford to pay 3 or 4 thousand a year for insurance you best avoid any more moving violations...Here in NC the cop doesnt have to prove a thing for you to be convicted. They dont have to show the radar record or anything other than just tell the judge you were speeding...Ive seen this happen in court. alaskaboy is wrong about being able to demand anything...The cops dont have to show you squat when they go before the JUDGE.and the judge dont have to throw cases out either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina