Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:52 PM

148 posts, read 531,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
You REALLY, REALLY need to do some research!!
Feel free to elaborate Poppy...This is an open forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 10:21 PM

136 posts, read 435,691 times
How much time have you and the wife spent in NC?

Also, why do you need to move fast vs. after more deliberate thought and research?

Old 02-18-2014, 05:38 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
There are places like the OP suggests, its just the price is higher. But I think the OP's point is a good one. Developers only really care about making money and set up these cookie cutter developments. I love the one's the take a plot of land way outside the city (purchased cheaply) and then try to turn it into a small town with tiny lots. Most small towns I know have normal size lots and a system of government in place. Instead developers just have fee's and rules.

I have noticed that in Wilmington the trend as it grows is toward redevelopment, rather than sprawl. It is forced because of the geography of the area. Large neighborhoods like Forest Hills and Pine Valley have everything the OP is looking for, just PV has the better schools...whereas Forest Hills ends up going private.

Charlotte and Raleigh have examples of this as well...the Dilworth/Queens Rd area in Charlotte and Five Points in Raleigh....but the OP has to understand that price inflation in these areas in the past 20 years is significant. How nice would it be if developers would take notice...stop building all these small SF homes on postage stamp lots. Just do multi-family and then large single family lots (which is what families want).

Old 02-18-2014, 08:03 AM

148 posts, read 531,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
There are places like the OP suggests, its just the price is higher. But I think the OP's point is a good one. Developers only really care about making money and set up these cookie cutter developments. I love the one's the take a plot of land way outside the city (purchased cheaply) and then try to turn it into a small town with tiny lots. Most small towns I know have normal size lots and a system of government in place. Instead developers just have fee's and rules.
This creates really poor appeal to the neighborhood and town overall, plus you have zero privacy! I would feel incarcerated over time!

Quote:
I have noticed that in Wilmington the trend as it grows is toward redevelopment, rather than sprawl. It is forced because of the geography of the area. Large neighborhoods like Forest Hills and Pine Valley have everything the OP is looking for, just PV has the better schools...whereas Forest Hills ends up going private.
How are the schools in Pine Valley and Forest Hills? Is there an overcrowding issue such as in south Charlotte? I have a friend in Waxhaw complaining of this.

Quote:
Charlotte and Raleigh have examples of this as well...the Dilworth/Queens Rd area in Charlotte and Five Points in Raleigh....but the OP has to understand that price inflation in these areas in the past 20 years is significant. How nice would it be if developers would take notice...stop building all these small SF homes on postage stamp lots. Just do multi-family and then large single family lots (which is what families want).
I think generally families are leaning towards the cookie cutter approach, as it is affordable and safer, hence the massive reduction in SF and property lot size. I think it's ridicules!!

Old 02-18-2014, 08:57 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoowanna View Post
This creates really poor appeal to the neighborhood and town overall, plus you have zero privacy! I would feel incarcerated over time!

How are the schools in Pine Valley and Forest Hills? Is there an overcrowding issue such as in south Charlotte? I have a friend in Waxhaw complaining of this.

I think generally families are leaning towards the cookie cutter approach, as it is affordable and safer, hence the massive reduction in SF and property lot size. I think it's ridicules!!
I think we are overlooking the obvious, though. You cannot manufacture more land. The communities with larger lots in areas that are desirable are charging a premium for these lots.

Example: I live in Cary. One could say, as schools go, ours are quite decent. My neighborhood is smallish. Lot sizes vary from 1/4 acre up to 1 acre, but the average is about 1/3 acre. No cookie cutter here. All custom homes. All are 3k plus sq ft (most are around 4k). It's a bit of a hike, but you CAN walk to a few restaurants and a little shopping from here. If not, it's a couple minutes by car. But...

Houses here are over 600k. All resales, but built within the last 10 years.

I really just think you will need to pay more and go for a smaller lot or give up any notion of walkability if you want to keep costs down. Here in the Triangle, anyway.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:16 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
No one mentioned Hillsborough, but that might work for OP. Progressive population, older more established area, probably would have to compromise on either the lot size or the walkability aspect.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:20 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Quote:
Feel free to elaborate Poppy...This is an open forum.
Can't use google?

It seems like you haven't even taken a cursory look at the state of North Carolina politics. It's been making the national news for the past several years with a very hard turn to the right. You're pretty mistaken if you think:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoowanna
NC has become very democratically sustained since the last 2 elections.
Google search results for "north carolina politics"

G.O.P.’s Full Control in Long-Moderate North Carolina May Leave Lasting Stamp

State of Conflict: Bill Moyers on North Carolina

Protests in North Carolina Challenge Conservative Shift in State Politics

Art Pope, Citizens United, and North Carolina Politics : The New Yorker

The Best Reporting on the North Carolina Conservative Takeover

Tens of thousands march against conservative politics in North Carolina | Al Jazeera America

Morning Memo: Where are the women in NC politics? | Under the Dome Blog | NewsObserver.com

How North Carolina Became the Wisconsin of 2013 - David A. Graham - The Atlantic

How the GOP Is Resegregating the South | The Nation

North Carolina Voter ID Bill Signed Into Law By Gov. Pat McCrory, Sparking Lawsuits

Last edited by poppydog; 02-18-2014 at 09:40 AM..

Old 02-18-2014, 10:47 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
No one mentioned Hillsborough, but that might work for OP. Progressive population, older more established area, probably would have to compromise on either the lot size or the walkability aspect.

Yeah... that's why I didn't mention it.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:16 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
I will be consulting from home and my wife does not work. (average income = 160K - 200K per annum.) We have 3 kids (7, and 5, 5 - twins)

Our desire to move to NC is both professional (client locations) and personally favored based on extensive research throughout U.S.. I have been heavily researching the Charlotte suburbs (Waxhal area), yet there seems to be a pattern of extensive overcrowding recently. I have visited Wilmington yet not aware of the living style. Greensburo also appears nice according to my below spec.

Here are our needs to move to NC from New York:
1) 4-5 bedroom (non-cookie cutter style with @.75 acre), 2 bath, (3000+ SF) (we currently pay 13K in taxes so anything lower than 8K would be a gift!) Spending range is 330K - 410K. (willing to pay a few dollars more if necessary)

2) schools MUST be rated 7 - 10 and not overcrowded (good mix of teachers (young or old) and standards with credible experience)

3) We are not religious and politically have democratic views

4) Safe neighborhood with low sexual offender count (does not need to be gated, although trustworthy)

5) Walkable shopping (prefer provincial village shopping vs. big box or massive malls offering chain retailers)

6) Adventurous parks, hiking, kid/dog friendly, diversified mix of restaurants (no chains)

7) Culturally Diversified - well eclectic mix of openly opinionated people (black or white) (note: We used to live in London, UK if it matters)

Thanks for your replies.

Yoowanna
I always love when there's a request for large house on 3/4 of an acre and in a charming walkable shopping neighborhood for a good price.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:54 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:

Do you realize how antagonistic you sound? You came here asking for our advice and opinions, then when they don't fit your expectations, you get combative (and a bit insulting to those of us who live quite happily in those "incarcerated" and "ridicules" - ridiculous - neighborhoods).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina