Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 11:35 AM

148 posts, read 531,701 times

Advertisements

I will be consulting from home and my wife does not work. (average income = 160K - 200K per annum.) We have 3 kids (7, and 5, 5 - twins)

Our desire to move to NC is both professional (client locations) and personally favored based on extensive research throughout U.S.. I have been heavily researching the Charlotte suburbs (Waxhal area), yet there seems to be a pattern of extensive overcrowding recently. I have visited Wilmington yet not aware of the living style. Greensburo also appears nice according to my below spec.

Here are our needs to move to NC from New York:
1) 4-5 bedroom (non-cookie cutter style with @.75 acre), 2 bath, (3000+ SF) (we currently pay 13K in taxes so anything lower than 8K would be a gift!) Spending range is 330K - 410K. (willing to pay a few dollars more if necessary)

2) schools MUST be rated 7 - 10 and not overcrowded (good mix of teachers (young or old) and standards with credible experience)

3) We are not religious and politically have democratic views

4) Safe neighborhood with low sexual offender count (does not need to be gated, although trustworthy)

5) Walkable shopping (prefer provincial village shopping vs. big box or massive malls offering chain retailers)

6) Adventurous parks, hiking, kid/dog friendly, diversified mix of restaurants (no chains)

7) Culturally Diversified - well eclectic mix of openly opinionated people (black or white) (note: We used to live in London, UK if it matters)

Thanks for your replies.

Yoowanna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 12:10 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
My opinion:

You need to narrow your scope a bit more. I think you need to think about what area of the state you think would best suit your needs. I'm not in the real estate business, but I'm thinking for a house that large on a lot that large in a good school district you'll need much more of a budget. Based on what you're looking for, I'm thinking Chapel Hill might be a good place to start.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:27 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Based on what you're looking for, I'm thinking Chapel Hill might be a good place to start.
Agreed. To the OP: what's the hurry? If you plan on being in the house for a long time, why not take the time to research adequately.

BTW, I think you would be under-whelmed with Wilmington.

In addition, it is hard to find a neighborhood anywhere in North Carolina where Democrats and non-religious people exist in great numbers. I think the OP should drop these as criteria if he is serious about living in North Carolina.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:41 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,970 times
I would look into the Triangle area. Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, Morrisville, Chapel Hill, Wake Forest, Fuquay Varina, etc. It has pretty much most of what you are looking for. While not hard core democratic, it has a good mix so you wouldn't feel out of place. I'm also not religious and it's not considered a big deal in this area.

Like others said, I'd suggest visiting once or twice in different areas before you make a choice. We visited both Charlotte and the Triangle. For us, we loved it here. But it will be different for each family. Good luck!

Old 02-17-2014, 01:44 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven View Post
I would look into the Triangle area. Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, Morrisville, Chapel Hill, Wake Forest, Fuquay Varina, etc. It has pretty much most of what you are looking for. While not hard core democratic, it has a good mix so you wouldn't feel out of place. I'm also not religious and it's not considered a big deal in this area.

Like others said, I'd suggest visiting once or twice in different areas before you make a choice. We visited both Charlotte and the Triangle. For us, we loved it here. But it will be different for each family. Good luck!
I see a newer house over 3k sq ft with .75 acres and walkable to shopping with highly rated schools (and on the OP's budget) as being not so easy to find.

Something on that list needs to give.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:02 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I see a newer house over 3k sq ft with .75 acres and walkable to shopping with highly rated schools (and on the OP's budget) as being not so easy to find.

Something on that list needs to give.
Yep. I live outside downtown Durham in a popular/non-cookie-cutter neighborhood, which hits all the marks including political/religious affiliation -- but falls down on schools at least from a perception/base schools basis (which is overblown as an issue, and also can be and is addressed by magnets/charters.)

In our neighborhood, 0.75 acres isn't going to happen. Those few houses with that much square footage and land, though, are going to run twice the OP's budget.

Look at Raleigh or Chapel Hill downtown, and you will be talking 3x or more the budget.

You're going to need to give on land area certainly, and maybe price, to hit your target. Or move to the 'burbs and lose the political, religious, walkability and non-chain restaurant targets.

Personal peeve: Schools aren't lawnmowers. There is no Consumers Union that is dispassionately and accurately rating all factors of schools objectively and giving a 1-10 score that can be relied on to find a perfect school for everyone's sweet snowflake. GreatSchools scores will tell you a lot about the wealthiness and whitey-ness of a school and that's pretty dang much it. Most progressives in this area are fairly blase about our schools' base scores because we have magnets that are 60% F&R lunch yet have tremendously dedicated parents doing urban farm programs, volunteering in schools, raising supplementary funds, and seeing tremendous results with how kids ACTUALLY learn and perform. But throw that F&R number in and GreatSchools will have you hightailing it to the nearest exurb faster than you can say "Dodge Caravan driver."

Old 02-17-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Agreed. To the OP: what's the hurry? If you plan on being in the house for a long time, why not take the time to research adequately.

BTW, I think you would be under-whelmed with Wilmington.

In addition, it is hard to find a neighborhood anywhere in North Carolina where Democrats and non-religious people exist in great numbers. I think the OP should drop these as criteria if he is serious about living in North Carolina.
Why "underwhelmed" in Wilmington? Is this primarily a beach town with less to offer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Yep. I live outside downtown Durham in a popular/non-cookie-cutter neighborhood, which hits all the marks including political/religious affiliation -- but falls down on schools at least from a perception/base schools basis (which is overblown as an issue, and also can be and is addressed by magnets/charters.)

In our neighborhood, 0.75 acres isn't going to happen. Those few houses with that much square footage and land, though, are going to run twice the OP's budget.

Look at Raleigh or Chapel Hill downtown, and you will be talking 3x or more the budget.

You're going to need to give on land area certainly, and maybe price, to hit your target. Or move to the 'burbs and lose the political, religious, walkability and non-chain restaurant targets.

Personal peeve: Schools aren't lawnmowers. There is no Consumers Union that is dispassionately and accurately rating all factors of schools objectively and giving a 1-10 score that can be relied on to find a perfect school for everyone's sweet snowflake. GreatSchools scores will tell you a lot about the wealthiness and whitey-ness of a school and that's pretty dang much it. Most progressives in this area are fairly blase about our schools' base scores because we have magnets that are 60% F&R lunch yet have tremendously dedicated parents doing urban farm programs, volunteering in schools, raising supplementary funds, and seeing tremendous results with how kids ACTUALLY learn and perform. But throw that F&R number in and GreatSchools will have you hightailing it to the nearest exurb faster than you can say "Dodge Caravan driver."
So is finding a sizable potion of land (.75 acre) in the suburbs not feasible to sustain a 200K salary? I currently have 1.2 acres in upper Westchester NY with a 45 minute commute to New York City, and highly doubt it's more expensive to live in NC with less acreage. What's the cut-off down there according to my salary? I don't mind giving up land, but I'm sure there is a more driven democratic community somewhere offering my housing needs.

Why lose my political stance? NC has become very democratically sustained since the last 2 elections. (more of a purple state now since 2008), and expected to continue.

I agree the school rating system is a bit flawed and NEVER concrete with accurate scoring systems. I expect a little give and take in this arena, yet may have to succumb to what's offered based on my choice location instead.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:46 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:

Agreed. In my area of the coast, you can get .75 acres with a large house in that price range easily. However, you will be out in the country with your own septic tank, and all your neighbors will be conservative Christians. You will have only chain restaurants when you drive 10 miles into town, and the schools will be very average.

I suggest dropping the requirement for a large lot, since other requirements seem to be more important to the OP.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:

Here's my angle regarding house searching. I selected Chapel Hill as an example.

This area appears very desolate on the map.

1316 Tripp Rd, Chapel Hill, NC 27516 Mod cut

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-17-2014 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: no real estate links

Old 02-17-2014, 03:01 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Your price range for what you want may be too low for Wilmington (there is a lot of waterfront property). If you up it to about 500K I could make a few recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina