Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 09:55 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,404,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lend27 View Post
Smoke free restaurants
You can't find any??? Don't get me wrong....I figured Raleigh-Durham obviously has more (I go to dozens regularly), but I would've hoped even Hickory had at least a few scattered around! Wow. Sorry to hear that. How far are you from Asheville? I know they have many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 10:21 AM

954 posts, read 4,375,562 times
After 12 years in NC and now living in NYC, I can honestly say that the only 1 thing I miss; Bo Jangles Biscuits.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:37 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,844,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
After 12 years in NC and now living in NYC, I can honestly say that the only 1 thing I miss; Bo Jangles Biscuits.
Are they REALLY that good?
I keep hearing that from transplants, so far I have resisted...maybe I will give in & try them!

Old 10-23-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lend27 View Post
We recently moved to the Hickory NC area from Southeastern MA.
We like it here, but there are a few things we wish we could get here.......
We miss:
Portuguese food
Fried clams
Coffee syrup
Chourico
Dunkin Donuts
Going to the mall at 11 am on Sunday....... ( Mall opens at 1 here ).
Baked Stuffed Shrimp
Buying seafood right off the boats
Smoke free restaurants

What do you miss?
grew up in Detroit, and lived in NC for 12 years after college (in Nashville).
I lived about 40 miles from you in a town off I-40 called Marion (5 years). My parents grew up there, so I had some roots there.
Then I lived for 7 years down east in Greenville about 80 miles below Raleigh.
I have to say that I enjoyed the Western part of NC much more than the East. However, I couldn't ever really adjust to the culture and missed the big city.
We moved to NYC 7 years ago and haven't regretted it a minute.
Interesting thing is that after 43 years in Michigan, my folks moved back to NC to retire. They had become more Midwestern from all their years up north, and really missed a lot about Michigan. My dad passed last year, but my Mom still lives in Marion. Not sure for how long. None of the kids are near.
Seriously, if you are going to make it for the long haul in NC, you cannot compare it to where you came from. It will drive you crazy.
If you can't embrace it, then get your snow shovel out and go back north (that's what I did).

Best of luck.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:07 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,660,632 times
I missed Tillamook cheese from Oregon.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Are they REALLY that good?
I keep hearing that from transplants, so far I have resisted...maybe I will give in & try them!
When My wife and I fly back down to NC to visit my Mom; the first stop we make is the nearest BoJangles. Sweet tea and biscuits. I don't like their chicken (too much pepper) but the biscuits are to die for.
Don't know why they don't try and break into the NYC market. They would be huge here.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:25 PM

904 posts, read 2,871,954 times
Things I won't miss about Fla. when we move to Asheville in June:

Hurricanes
Tropical Storms
Tropical Depressions
90 degree tempetures for 4 months
100% humidity for 6 months

Bring on the snow, jackets, sweaters etc. I am ready!

Old 10-23-2006, 01:27 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,541,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
When My wife and I fly back down to NC to visit my Mom; the first stop we make is the nearest BoJangles. Sweet tea and biscuits. I don't like their chicken (too much pepper) but the biscuits are to die for.
Don't know why they don't try and break into the NYC market. They would be huge here.
Sort of the Krispy Kreme version of biscuits. You'll love 'em, just don't don't eat 'em every day

Old 10-23-2006, 01:54 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,336,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
What is Cherry-Lemon Sundrop? Sounds good!
It's wonderful - don't have a clue what's in it, but it's the only Sundrop that I'll drink. Food Lion carries, as does most of the chains. KK when the "Hot Now" sign is on - too bad they didn't go the controlled expansion route and have had to stop carrying peanut sticks!! (not related)
Are they (Bojangles Biscuits) REALLY that good?
They are - and would you believe that I was here for YEARS before I had a sausage biscuit.
Brooklyn Boys in Mooresville is pretty good too! He's from Bklyn & makes a thin crusted pizza. They're in Morrison Plantation near Harris Teeter. Absolutely, Rosie and the stromboli is good as well! Crap - I've just gained 5#

Old 10-23-2006, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Sort of the Krispy Kreme version of biscuits. You'll love 'em, just don't don't eat 'em every day
As we would say up here, Absoufreakinloutly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina